what civ to play for my next multiplayer game?

dannyslag

Chieftain
Haven't played in about a year until BnW came out, bought both that and G&K and remembered how addictive this game is. The expansions also seem to make it so much better.

Anyway, been running games with some friends. We're about to start another one tonight and I like using a different leader each game. I have no idea who to try next.

I prefer building tall and hate going wide. I tend to be the guy who goes for culture or diplomatic victory, although for this game I want to be a little more flexible. I was thinking a trade focused build because I haven't ever done that and then it still gives the option to buy a military.

And a random side note, for some reason i like races with unique improvements.

I'm currently looking at:
arabia
morocco
dutch

Out of these three I'm not sure which one to try. Any opinions on them is welcome. Some things look good on paper but play very differently so how are they in actual play?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Morroco!! They can get some crazy insane size cities. Do try for petra, more then try!! Plus in my games with them, people love to trade with me.

Thank you. I may give them a go then. How is their unique improvement?

I think it is the best of the bunch. I am on record as saying Morroco is my fav new civ though!! It takes a pretty worthless desert tile and makes it useful. It is what allows you to have crazy insane cities.

You never need fear the desert as Morroco. Even if you miss petra, you will still do good with that UI.

Plus when I ever I play them I have to sing Marrakesh Express. And that just puts you in a very good mood!! :)

The only thing I'm concerned about is I read somewhere that morroco doesn't have desert start bias so you can easily get stuck having completely useless uu and ui. have you found this to be true or false?

I say Arabia only because Mulitplayer games always end up becoming full scale deathmatch warzones after 40 turns no matter what so you might as well take a civ with an awesome UU. Camel Archers can bring a world of hurt, believe me. In fact, next to Iroquois, the Arabs are my most feared neighbor in any MP game I've played....

I say Arabia only because Mulitplayer games always end up becoming full scale deathmatch warzones after 40 turns no matter what so you might as well take a civ with an awesome UU. Camel Archers can bring a world of hurt, believe me. In fact, next to Iroquois, the Arabs are my most feared neighbor in any MP game I've played....

+100 :crazyeye:

You can run up, slap your enemies, and run away again. Repeatedly. There is almost no defence.

The only thing I'm concerned about is I read somewhere that morroco doesn't have desert start bias so you can easily get stuck having completely useless uu and ui. have you found this to be true or false?

Not sure where you read or were told this, but it is not true. Morroco starts in the desert. You can remove start bias of couse. But if you are playing a civ with a start bias, that would be a bad idea imho.

Not sure where you read or were told this, but it is not true. Morroco starts in the desert. You can remove start bias of couse. But if you are playing a civ with a start bias, that would be a bad idea imho.

It was in a thread on here and on a youtube video on brave new world I watched.

I tested it out by starting about 15 games just to see and usually I started right next to a desert, but not always, about 3 of those times no desert anywhere near me. so it looks like most of the time but not always.

The sad part is that the people I play with have started using the small continents deluxe map (awesome map script by the way, it's so much more balanced and exactly what we were looking for.) but once we started using that script it seems to have broken bias because even arabia in my tests 14 out of 15 times started nowhere near a desert, like not even within 12+ hexes of a desert and when I tested morocco on that map script 9 out of 10 attempts had no desert near them.

Interesting, I have started near desert all of my games with them. :) I would certianly restart if I was not by a dersert with them. That would be like playing Venice Land Locked, a very bad deal!!

We disagree on awesome in this case, any map that removes start bias froma civ that depends on their bias is BAD!!

I personally like France for multiplayer, mainly because they are quite versatile in playstyle.

Their UA is good for tall empires with a lot of great work wonders.
Their UU is reasonable in renaissance attacks/defense.
Their UI is AWESOME and gets better the wider your empire is - more luxuries to build them next to :p

Interesting, I have started near desert all of my games with them. :) I would certianly restart if I was not by a dersert with them. That would be like playing Venice Land Locked, a very bad deal!!

We disagree on awesome in this case, any map that removes start bias froma civ that depends on their bias is BAD!!

lol. yeah that part really sucks because I'm enjoying morocco in my normal map game and i really want to try arabia. But other than that one problem the map is so much better, no little tiny one/two hex islands, 3 wide shallow water instead of 1 wide, more realistic land distribution, less snow at the top and bottom. all kinds of little tweaks.

Top Bottom