What do steam achievements and city lists tell us on upcoming civs (or not coming at all) ?

Liufeng

A man of his time
There's much to be learned by analyzing the city lists from the different civilizations in the game and the steam achievements. After some research, this is some conclusions I made, taking into account that for me, Civilizations that have already appeared in the franchise are more likely to appear than the others.

Achievements list

Rather than predicting civs, achivements exclude them. The achivements I'm refering to are the ones related to City-states. I've never heard of achievements being changed in any game at all, much less in Sid Meier's Civilization. From that, we can conclude that the following Civilizations have very low chances on coming in Civ VI.
- The Hittites : there's an achievement on having a strategic resource from Hattusa
- The Swahili (as a whole) : there's an achivement of being the suzerain of Zanzibar and adopting zoroatrism
- The Pohnpei : there's an achivement of levying an army from Nan Madol.

City lists

While achievements are hard to change, it isn't the case of City lists : in Civ V, there were some civs that shared some cities : Arabia/Morocco, France/Celts, Babylon/Assyria, ... But still, the presence or the absence of a city can indicate some things.
About the possible excluded ones, there's Yemen, as Sana'a is an arabian city. It is also the case of the Mughals, since Agra is also in the list of India (unless they go with Akbar and use Fatehpur Sikri as the capital). Avignon being in the french city-list and Rome being with, well, Rome, the chances are also low for Papal States.
However, the absence of some civs may give hope for some Civilizations. Unlike Denmark in civ, that used danish and norwegian city names, Norway is only composed of norwegian cities, leaving hope for the return of Denmark or Sweden. Pataliputra is also absent of the indian list (although one can argue that there's Patna, which is the same), which can indicate the future presence of an ancient indian dynasty, like the Maurya. Babylon and/or Assyria are still plausible, as their cities are not within the sumerian - led by a babylonian depiction of the ruler whi speaks akkadian rather than sumerian and has abilities related to a babylonian epic - list, although they could have changed Nippur to Nibru so that the name Nippur goes to Babylon/Assyria. Also, Marrakech, this time, is not in the arabian list, which can give hope for the return of Morocco. Finally, no angolan city being included in the kongolese list, we may hope for Angola under the queen Nzinga.

Please, tell me your thoughts about it.

Interesting deduction but probably if firaxis wants to do something they won't be stopped by some achievements or city states

Something I found interesting is the fact that Gengis Khan is in the game as a Great General so I doubt he might be back as a leader

Something I found interesting is the fact that Gengis Khan is in the game as a Great General so I doubt he might be back as a leader

I'm pretty sure that it happened in earlier Civs that great people got removed because they became leaders. What I know for sure, is that Amsterdam was a city-state in Civilization 5, but then got removed as such when the Netherlands were added as playable civilization in an expansion.

Top Bottom