What do you guys think of the Piety tree?

I always felt that it was unfortunate that when culture got disassociated from Piety and placed into Aesthetics, Piety was left as the only Ancient Era policy tree that had no direct benefits to your culture output, until the finisher (and even then, not that much). It makes it really hard to open with Piety and keep up with the culture of a Tradition or Liberty player, or even Honor! It's ironic since Piety used to be THE culture tree, and now it has nothing unless the early shrine helps you get a culture-producing pantheon. I wouldn't mind a +1 culture for shrines/temples in the opener or in Organized Religion.

I don't like it. For the same reason I don't like many of the trees. It's weaker than the alternatives and you don't have enough policies in civ5 to make it a competent secondary tree before rationalism is available.

To be honest a lot of the problems with policies would feel better if rationalism was nerfed, delayed or if there was more policies to get before renaissance.

Exactly, Rationalism is so much better than every other tree, it feels like you're wasting every other SP

I like Piety just because it's so weak. I might be crazy, but I like to try and squeeze out everything I can from an "underdog" position. Trying various Piety+Honor starts are imo rather fun. Good? God no, but at least I find they're a lot more fun than Trad/Ratio that's been done by everyone and their mothers.

Piety is a dumpster fire. Enough said about this policy tree. Optimal play is tradition, liberty or a mix of tradition and liberty. That is all.

Sacred sites spam is a possible way to get a culture vic very rapidly with Byzantium but it's a very gimmicky strategy with many weaknesses.

I've never opened the piety tree before but, jesuit education is awesome.

I had a start deep inside jungle with like 200 hexes of jungle or more. I failed to found my own religion, and became upset about it. I decided to go nuts and become a full blown barbarian and oppressed almost all my neighbors except for assyria. He my good buddy on that map.

Ethopia hated my guts and forced his religion onto me and it had jesuit education. That education turned my barbarians into civilized germans who won the space race victory. I think ethopia tried to harm me but ended up helping me instead.

It was great because it let me drop down universities and libraries very fast when my gold is busy with my military upgrades. Basically I was allowed to have a huge and up to date military and pursue science victory freely at same time.

Piety is only useful though if you get a religion though. If you don't get a religion, only two of the policies in piety really do anything for you at that point.

The piety tree is i think the tree that I have missed out on the most because there's many reformation beliefs in there that have their unique attributes that benefit a religion holder in a unique way. For example, heathen conversion, which converts barbarians tribes with missionaries could seem interesting to find out about more and actually get to know how to use. The other reformation beliefs that could be interesting I have yet to try because there are so many of them and piety seems underpowered unlike rationalism.

I think piety is fine as is but perhaps it should have a pre-requisite that you first need a pantheon before it can be unlocked.
This at least ensures that the AI aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by opening this policy first.

I think piety is fine as is but perhaps it should have a pre-requisite that you first need a pantheon before it can be unlocked.
This at least ensures that the AI aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by opening this policy first.

Byzantine mostly open and complete it first. That makes her slow at start but after completing Piety tree she becomes insane. Missioners everywhere... Once, in my game she completed Great Mosque of Djenne, Hagia Sophia and Borobudur. All of them in a really really short time and I was like o.O

i always go piety and i only play domination.getting early religion helps a lot with happiness.getting the opener and the shrine half speed and plus 1 guarantees a religion even with 2 cities slow start.

i always go piety and i only play domination.getting early religion helps a lot with happiness.getting the opener and the shrine half speed and plus 1 guarantees a religion even with 2 cities slow start.

True that on the guaranteed religion on deity.

Top Bottom