What exactly does Legendary start do?

LoneDragon

Warlord
I think it was an option in resources in Civ V, like you could take it OR abundant resources. Now you can take both.

I took it with m current game as the Aztecs to see what it did. I really didn't notice much difference. I can't look at my city right now due to a patch downloading. I also conquered Aachen, and his city didn't seem all that great.

i hadn't noticed the legendary option until this last start, it's how all games should be! (or maybe i just got a lucky roll) current game is on king, epic, legendary start. this is first time i had a size 16 city so early , and that's after Rome produced probably 8-9 of my settlers (actually, first time 16 city at all w/C6, as i keep restarting games to learn all this new stuff (last version i played was BTS).
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

In game above, Rome is about to pump me out a military...hoping madrid attacks, Spain doesn't need its capital anyway

Last edited:
I think it was an option in resources in Civ V, like you could take it OR abundant resources. Now you can take both.

AFAIK abundant resources are for all the map, so the whole map will have generally more resources. While legendary start gives you a better starting location on the map. Dunno how it defines a "legendary" position in cVI, because of district adjacencies there are different locations that might be good for different reasons.

I think they may have mixed up some of the start settings. If you select balanced instead of legendary you start with a ton of resources next to your capital.

I once picked legendary as Egypt and got stuck on a one-tile wide and maybe four-tile long stretch of hills squashed between mountains and ocean. The sea touched the mountains, so I couldn't explore and there was no space to build. Resources were good, but I couldn't get to them :(

Anyways, I've gotten mostly bad starts with legendary.

Basically in Civ V, Legendary start increased the number of "bonus resources" within 3 hexes of every major civilization's starting settler beyond what it is with standard resource with no other effect. This should do something similar in Civ VI.

i hadn't noticed the legendary option until this last start, it's how all games should be! (or maybe i just got a lucky roll) current game is on king, epic, legendary start. this is first time i had a size 16 city so early , and that's after Rome produced probably 8-9 of my settlers (actually, first time 16 city at all w/C6, as i keep restarting games to learn all this new stuff (last version i played was BTS).
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Thats Beautiful map, which type is it?

I think they may have mixed up some of the start settings. If you select balanced instead of legendary you start with a ton of resources next to your capital.

I've noticed that if I want a good start, legendary is the worst setting to pick. But maybe I'm just unlucky.

When the game determines where each player will start, it uses some kind of hidden point system, where factors like fresh water, total yields within three tiles in all directions, and each civilization's start biases are used to assign each tile a certain point value. This same system also seems to be used when the game recommends city locations in settler view.

When you choose "balanced" in the start menu, the game makes sure that every player is given a starting location with an equal point value.

When you choose "standard", the game tries to give every player a starting location with a high point value, but also tries to keep every starting location in the same ballpark, so that no player starts in a location with a much higher value than all the others.

When you choose "legendary", the game puts each player's starting settler on the tiles with the absolute highest values, even if some of those tiles have much higher values than others.

Top Bottom