What I'm Working on - Should I continue?

crawf0rd

The One and Only
Greetings fellow modders! Yesterday, I began work on a new mod, but not just any mod. If I go through with my plans it could possibly be the magnum opus of my civ 5 modding life, but I don't know if it would really drum up interest. The mod would change many things, but one of the hallmarks, and the only work I've done so far, is a trait system, where each civ gets a bonus on their real life era, continent, and type. Screenshot:
Spoiler :

Basically what I'm asking is does this mod look interesting thus far? Help, opinions, and suggestions are very welcome!

I was pondering the idea of different ethnic bonuses myself to widen the gap between ethnicities, akin to RL; Asian civs would always acquire Techs faster, for instance, but Europeans would end up with more Social Policies and Native American/African civs always had a larger treasury. So I definitely like the idea of grouping certain civs together in such a way, but wouldn't a specialty bonus be a little redundant (e.g. Maritime, when England already has a UA that is predominantly maritime)?

I think you need to provide a little more information on what exactly you're doing, before one can judge its worth - especially since you mention that the trait changes are not the only changes. That said, if it's how you want your game to be, you should definitely not worry about anyone's interest other than your own.

I was pondering the idea of different ethnic bonuses myself to widen the gap between ethnicities, akin to RL; Asian civs would always acquire Techs faster, for instance, but Europeans would end up with more Social Policies and Native American/African civs always had a larger treasury. So I definitely like the idea of grouping certain civs together in such a way, but wouldn't a specialty bonus be a little redundant (e.g. Maritime, when England already has a UA that is predominantly maritime)?

I think you need to provide a little more information on what exactly you're doing, before one can judge its worth - especially since you mention that the trait changes are not the only changes. That said, if it's how you want your game to be, you should definitely not worry about anyone's interest other than your own.

I also thought the specialty bonuses would be redundant, but I like that a grouping of civs have a similar bonus, to give different synergies that are more closely knit with their bonus. Now that I think of it, wouldn't it be cool to choose your specialty bonus?

On the topic of why I crave other's opinions is because I feel my work is more well made when it receives good feedback. You could say I'm insecure :p .

More of the work I'm doing hasn't really been thought of as deeply; I'm thinking of changing how promotions work, and merging my Qualitied Units mod with this project. The tech tree might see more specialized lines as well. Thanks for the feedback!

Top Bottom