[BTS] What in the world is the AI doing, spamming this many useles navy units (on a pangea map, even)??

Shouldn't be that impossible. When you reach 20-30 cities your army should be big enough to take on most AI. I will give it a shot if I can find some time.

I recommend Boudica of Sumeria with a marble start to Oracle metal casting and chop ziggs and forges of your vulture victim for the first few learning games on Immortal, Stonehenge is good too for free monuments with Charimatic.

Louis of Sumeria is also a good choice.

For relatively "peaceful" wins, Elizabeth cottaging and bulbing to redcoats and communism with good dilpo and securing a PA with Zara or Surry or HP (which ever is the strongest) and feeding them gold for unit upgrades and spamming spies to switch the civics of large hostile civs to vassalage and slavery and environmentalism (build jails, security bur and intellince agenices after you get the PA, while saving a GE to rush the Kremlin to super whip these three buildings), and directing your PA's research down a beeline to mobile artillery (while spamming machine guns and fighters to defend their borders until Mobile artillery is completed, and don't be afraid to to make a couple of stacks of artillery to help them bust a hilled city). Also when you get the PA, immediately threaten all of the other civs for their gold (usually 2-4k), and give it to the PA partner. WHen you declare war, direct their first attack on the same turn. Until you have redcoats, sit in pacifism (bulb philopopsy and chop the Parthenon) behind castles and 10 longbows in each border city, and mobile force of 20 maces to reinforces whichever city is being sieged, and don't build cottages around border cities, pure farms and specalists. If you have 3 or more coastal cities, chop the colossus as well.
Shouldn't be that impossible. When you reach 20-30 cities your army should be big enough to take on most AI. I will give it a shot if I can find some time.

Last edited:
MassRiflemen. If you're marching on an AI capital with fifty rifles and ten cannon does it matter that they have hundreds of caravals blocking your seafood resources. It might be annoying but its not really a serious threat..

Louis of Sumeria is also a good choice.

For relatively "peaceful" wins, Elizabeth cottaging and bulbing to redcoats and communism with good dilpo and securing a PA with Zara or Surry or HP (which ever is the strongest) and feeding them gold for unit upgrades and spamming spies to switch the civics of large hostile civs to vassalage and slavery and environmentalism (build jails, security bur and intellince agenices after you get the PA, while saving a GE to rush the Kremlin to super whip these three buildings), and directing your PA's research down a beeline to mobile artillery (while spamming machine guns and fighters to defend their borders until Mobile artillery is completed, and don't be afraid to to make a couple of stacks of artillery to help them bust a hilled city). Also when you get the PA, immediately threaten all of the other civs for their gold (usually 2-4k), and give it to the PA partner. WHen you declare war, direct their first attack on the same turn. Until you have redcoats, sit in pacifism (bulb philopopsy and chop the Parthenon) behind castles and 10 longbows in each border city, and mobile force of 20 maces to reinforces whichever city is being sieged, and don't build cottages around border cities, pure farms and specalists. If you have 3 or more coastal cities, chop the colossus as well.

How many cities do you have by time your Redcoats have arrived? It does not sound like many which could be why your getting crushed by the AI here. My current huge map it's about 800ad and I have 19 cities. 3-4 turns off nationalism. Not run any golden age yet. AI may have engineering. I could easily reach lib first here. I could trade for MC. I avoid machinery so I don't lose lib bulb. I was first to music. Biggest AI has 15 cities. They are all busy fighting eachother while I spam cottages. I will likely roll 2-3 golden ages and spam cuirs. See what happens. The game feels won but things could still go wrong.

MassRiflemen. If you're marching on an AI capital with fifty rifles and ten cannon does it matter that they have hundreds of caravals blocking your seafood resources. It might be annoying but its not really a serious threat..
It matters because there are 8-12 other civs that will pull ahead in tech if I let my coastal cities starve (meaning they also lose their land tiles for hammers. Before I put bb's on the fishing boats, mansu and hp would tech to rocketry before I had industiralism and then pA each other (or something similar to what i descirbed) tht could be averted by keeping the fishing boats safe. WHen there's no tech trading and your'e playing immortla/emperor, there's simply no way to match early Ai navy production

they will evenutally upgrade their 200 caravels to destryoers at some point as well, which require nukes to clear out.\, but this means I actually have the ability to fight back. You can't fight back prior to the industrial era. To put in context, I've had the afk battleships destryoed by 100+frigate/ship of the lines stacks as well. The human player cannot match that prior to industrialism and tac nukes on a Pangaea map.

Last edited:
How many cities do you have by time your Redcoats have arrived? It does not sound like many which could be why your getting crushed by the AI here. My current huge map it's about 800ad and I have 19 cities. 3-4 turns off nationalism. Not run any golden age yet. AI may have engineering. I could easily reach lib first here. I could trade for MC. I avoid machinery so I don't lose lib bulb. I was first to music. Biggest AI has 15 cities. They are all busy fighting eachother while I spam cottages. I will likely roll 2-3 golden ages and spam cuirs. See what happens. The game feels won but things could still go wrong.

Multiples of 5, so 15, 20 or 25, so you can draft 5 per turn twice from each city, you also didnt' disable tech trading. I can beat Deity with tech trading on standard map sizes, and immortal 100% of the time with ech trading on huge maps, tech trading ruins the game and makes it ez mode.

The rules
1. No tech trading
2. No vassals
3. No fail golding (this can't be disabled, so its on you not to do this, you make up for this by threatening weaker civs for their stockpiles of 2k+gold; also by building the statue of zeus and not giving peace until AI war weariness is high enough for them to give you all of their gold)
4. No tribal villages.
5. You can fail gold in the medieval era and beyond (Notre Dame and such), the prohibtion applies to stone age, bronze age and classical era wonders (otherwise, again, the game becomes too easy, if you want an early wonder you have to save on the turn you start building it and reload if you fail).

Map settings:
Pangaea, Huge, Temperate, Sealevel Low, Ancient, Marathon, Resources Balanced, Cyclicndiral Shoreline Natural

Victory Type: Conquest Only, Permanent Alliance Enabled (necessary imo), 18 civs, Aggressive AI.

Optional:
1.Barbarians Enabled
2. Allowed to spawn a battleship on your fishing boats if required.
3. Allowed save and reload prior to engaging an enemy stack with your stack (because no one has time to calculate the outcome of 200 units smashing into 200 units).
4. Unstrictred Leaders
5. Random Personalites.

Last edited:
I have not tried your settings yet. I usually play huge maps. This is an old game I am playing.

With 18 ai that will be a pretty crowded map. With 13 on a huge with low sea level only 2-3 Ai above 10-15 cites. Guess the danger is each time you declare you upset a neighbour.

Not sure how a free battleship helps on a pangea map. You could be in centre of the map.

When I do attempt your settings I will post the saves.

I have not tried your settings yet. I usually play huge maps. This is an old game I am playing.

With 18 ai that will be a pretty crowded map. With 13 on a huge with low sea level only 2-3 Ai above 10-15 cites. Guess the danger is each time you declare you upset a neighbour.

Not sure how a free battleship helps on a pangea map. You could be in centre of the map.

When I do attempt your settings I will post the saves.
If you're in the center of the map, you have backstabs threats everywhere, even with friendly Ai's on aggressive setting. Castles are a must on border cities before you roll out to kill someone (they'll buy you enough time to whip defense without having to bring your offensive force home). Ai's with lower power scores will DoW if they know you're out of position, they'll even DoW you to kill your workers if your army isn't within range. Ironically, protective becomes a top tier trait on these settings if you spawn in the middle of the map,

the +1 trade routes from castles in No teching trading allows you to delay economics and corporation until you're ready to go assembly line, castles don't go obsolete until then.

Still not finished current game. I have 3-4 more ai to vassal then I will try your game idea. Redcoat/cavalry vs cuirs/muskets/pikes and LB. Just a case of playing out game as I took out the 2 biggest AI first.

Multiples of 5, so 15, 20 or 25, so you can draft 5 per turn twice from each city, you also didnt' disable tech trading. I can beat Deity with tech trading on standard map sizes, and immortal 100% of the time with ech trading on huge maps, tech trading ruins the game and makes it ez mode.

The rules
1. No tech trading
2. No vassals
3. No fail golding (this can't be disabled, so its on you not to do this, you make up for this by threatening weaker civs for their stockpiles of 2k+gold; also by building the statue of zeus and not giving peace until AI war weariness is high enough for them to give you all of their gold)
4. No tribal villages.
5. You can fail gold in the medieval era and beyond (Notre Dame and such), the prohibtion applies to stone age, bronze age and classical era wonders (otherwise, again, the game becomes too easy, if you want an early wonder you have to save on the turn you start building it and reload if you fail).

Map settings:
Pangaea, Huge, Temperate, Sealevel Low, Ancient, Marathon, Resources Balanced, Cyclicndiral Shoreline Natural

Victory Type: Conquest Only, Permanent Alliance Enabled (necessary imo), 18 civs, Aggressive AI.

Optional:
1.Barbarians Enabled
2. Allowed to spawn a battleship on your fishing boats if required.
3. Allowed save and reload prior to engaging an enemy stack with your stack (because no one has time to calculate the outcome of 200 units smashing into 200 units).
4. Unstrictred Leaders
5. Random Personalites.

Rules
1-4 are fine. If I try to build a wonder and it fails I am not reloading 10-20+ turns. I will not build wonders purely for fail gold. I will not start a wonder that I am sure an AI is likely to beat me to. I will only build wonders that I 100% want.

Map settings.
Not playing marathan settings. Be here forever on a huge map. Plus if you had an over powered UU you could take out 5-6 of the AI quite quickly. My last huge map game on standard speed took long enough. Mongols UU would be silly.

Optionals
Of the optionals 1 seems fair. Rest are a no for me. You do settings on game so it calculates large battles for you. Think I saw meintheteam do that.

I suspect your issue wiith 200 units is that your playing marathan speed.The same issues would still happen on normal speed?

I will add perm alliances but never tried this. Seems a late game thing anyway.

First AI i rolled was Toku. Thoughts? This was first game I rolled and I went random. Or should I start more centre of the map.

Attachments

• Toku BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    144.1 KB · Views: 13
First AI i rolled was Toku. Thoughts? [...]
Seems to have tech trading enabled:

toku-settings.jpg

Knew I forgot something.

First AI i rolled was Toku. Thoughts? This was first game I rolled and I went random. Or should I start more centre of the map.

The general location of start dictates how the game will pay out. If you spawn center of the map, you're going to be DoW'ed a lot on all sides unless you dogmatically fall in line with one of the religious blocks, which only keeps one side of your empire safe, and only if stack 5 longbows + walls/castle, otherwise the aggressive AI will backstab you even at Pleased/Friendly. The good news is you don't have to worry about fishing boat harass when you're in the center of the map.

That being said, despite Tok'us starting tech (fishing), his traits are (Agg/Pro) are the best for spawning in the center of the map. Make sure you kill the nearest neighbor that's Imperialist or Creative (enemy leaders with these traits will suffocate you if they aren't killed asap). Chop and whip three axes from 4-5 cities and kill them fast, you can spent the early idle turns slow building a barracks while researching working techs and bronze worikng.

Toku's traits work best when paired with other civs other than Japan (unless you get a coastal start), but you should overall be fine.

I do however recommend rerolling a good coastal start since you do start wish fishing as Japan. Make sure there's two fish and marble so you oracle CoL for courthouse when you conquer the most threatening neighbor, try to bulb math and research currency after (make sure a library completes before the oracle in a city different than the oracle for a GS instead of GP) and get the Colossus

As for Permanent Alliances, I have never won on Immortal without securing a PA, very rarely won Emperor without a PA (post 2300 AD victories), and even Monarch can be an extreme grind without a PA (post 2050 AD victory).

Safe leaders to invest your PA's in are the religious leaders, such as Izzy or Hattie or Saladin, when you have a coastal start, or the "Reasonable Warmongers" such as Ragnar, Shaka or Monty, if you spawn center of the map. You'll be in so many wars if you spawn center you're better off declaring them yourself at Shaka's request for the +500000 diplo and PA.

You will have to be Friendly and either have massive tech lead (at the expense of army size,), or a massive army (at the expense of being behind in tech) for them to accept your PA offer; leaders like Elizabeth excel at the former; leaders like Toku excel at the latter. The only loophole is if you want a PA with a religious leader, and only you and that leader share the religion, in which case, being Friendly is the only requirement to get the PA instantly upon researching communism.

A lot of my games should be tited "Me and Izzy against the world." So if just you and the religious leader of another civ are the only ones sharing the religion, when they ask your help in war, accept and Dow whoever they ask you to, capture cities for them and them gift them the cities you capture (this allows you to abuse the AI's handicaps for maintenance costs), because you're gonna PA with them later anyway, so why have a distant captured city drain your wallet when you can just give to Izzy/Hattie/Saladin, which allows them to build monster stacks of doom. I usually leave the game after I secure the PA with Izzy/Hattie, because combined we're both so dominant the game is already won lol (thanks to gifting captured cities earlier in the game).

The most fun games you'll have are when Monty spreads his religion and sends all his minion civs at you and your religious block. Those games typically go in the modern/future era. Pure bloodsheed all game. Christo Redentor is a must have in these games if you're not Spiritual civ.

Also dont' get immediately discouraged if a leader like Zara or Surry mananges to take 2/5 to 3/5 the map. You can send spies and put yourself in starting civics (barbarism, decentralization) and keep changing their civics and virtually halt their research for the rest of the game ( do not allow them to be in State Property, Free Speech, etc; switch them to all of the starting civics + vassalage (since its high upkeep)). Of course only do this after you secure a PA with a good techer like Mansu or Wilhem. Eventually you'll have tanks and Zara/Surry will still be making elephants. Also, don't underestimate what a stack of 400+ war elephants can do, even if you have tanks (yes...400 Ballista+ Elephants, I actually had to nuke it)

I also swear by the Chicen Itza wonder when you spawn middle of the map (. I will not play without stone if I spawn center of the map on Immortal,and its the only wonder I build on Immortal, other than the Oracle or the Great Wall. If I spawn coastal then I aim for the Colossus instead of the Chicen Itza, since the commerce allows me to defend via slight tech advantage (and with less units, since there's only one side of my empire to defend).

Last edited:
One downside to these settings and team things is I just traded a resources for over 428gpt. Yet you banned fail gold? :lol:

Kind of broken on that basis? My Ally/team has a 70+ strong stack. Albeit I have been very slow to passing 32 cities. I failed to twig we would auto share all our techs.

From one game experience. I would say it is a lottery in terms of who declares on you. I agree about tech situ. Religions really do help.

Largest Ai has 17 cities. Next has 16 but my team. Then 12 and lower. Killing whole map seems a lot of effort.

The tech front is tough as huge map means much slower tech rate. With no AI to trade from or take techs from warfare you rely on economies of scale and land.

I prefer normal settings as one game with these settings could take days. I will need 5-6 stacks to cross over and wipe out map.

What's equally strange is that if you attack a caravel/galleon stack the caravels are first choice defenders even though galleons have a higher base strength.
I think there's something in the code that prevents units with the "transport" flag from defending. Presumably because a lost battle would also kill any units the galleon is carrying.

I think teams and trading resources is broken. I am currently trading 854 gold a turn with my team player. Why would they pay 254 gold a turn for 1 resource? Is there no limit to this? Would the Ai pay 10k gold a turn for a resource?

Not sure I will finish the game I am on. Up to 49 cities. My team player has 17 cities and a 40+ stack. I have 96 cavalry scattered over map. Largest AI has 21 cities. 5 ai dead. 5 with only 1-7 cities. Leaving 5 with 9-21+ cities. I have about 80 cities still to capture with most Ai at war with eachother. With 3-4 AI likely to be wiped out by other AI. Of course a slow process as Ai reduce defences to 0%. It will come down to 2-3 stack battles. Pending on how many cuirs/artilery I can spam. Need Railroads to speed up troop movement.

Top Bottom