What is the last release of CIV 1 ?

umbro

Chieftain
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post at this forum. I am glad I can be here.

I wanted to ask about last available civ 1 release because I have some feeling some old release versions has problems with strength balancing. I play currently at some dos version and I am so frustrated I lost strong units against weak enemy. I play at "Warlord" difficult Level, so it should be quite easy to defeat weak enemies. I am wondering if this was fixed in some latest release version of civ 1 ? What version do you recommend to play to avoid this frustrating problem ? I have a feeling Civ version for Mac or Windows was better balanced than dos or Amiga versions.What are you thought about it ?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the difficulty level has any effect on unit strength.
Rather, it has an impact on the development of civilization.

A weak unit could be a veteran fortified in a place with a big bonus.
I'm not sure in what the order the bonus is calculated, but a regular phalnix with 2 on defense, veteran and fortified on defense has: 2 +veteran 50% = 3 + fortify 50% = 4.5 + 50% grassland = almost 7. City walls is + 200% and of course you still have to throw the dice to see if the right % of attack to the opponent's defense will give you victory in this clash. Because (just like in real life) it's not like if you have more attack than your opponent's defense you will always win.
I'll give you an example from another game (hattrick) which of course has your own calculations and in which circuses of probability also take place.
Remember that the calculus of probability tends to result only in a large number of attempt. On a only few times the same side of the coin may fall over and over again even though the probability is 50%.
And, for example, Real Madrid also sometimes loses to a weak opponent.
Supposedly in CIV is matters number of your clicks on map in your turn before your attack..

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to ask about last available civ 1 release because I have some feeling some old release versions has problems with strength balancing. I play currently at some dos version and I am so frustrated I lost strong units against weak enemy. I play at "Warlord" difficult Level, so it should be quite easy to defeat weak enemies. I am wondering if this was fixed in some latest release version of civ 1 ? What version do you recommend to play to avoid this frustrating problem ? I have a feeling Civ version for Mac or Windows was better balanced than dos or Amiga versions.What are you thought about it ?
The latest version of the DOS version is 474.05. There is also Civilization for Windows, which is less popular.

This is an article I found on the topic of Civilization versions, I personally like 474.03 the most.
https://apolyton.net/articles/civil...roprose-civilization-faq-section-genaral#gen2

Also, a secret that I find that works is that waiting for 20 seconds before attacking almost always works. I found this out when losing Armor units to Chariots.

I play in civ475.1 because:

Hello Everyone,

You should never lost battle againts weakest units if before the battle, you save use the <open / close a city window> hint, then attack. If the hint doesn't work, reload the saved game, and redo this with another city.

I love how this thread has just turned into the "how to try and manipulate the random number generator in your favour" thread :D

To answer the original question though, the Windows and Mac ports (as well as the other console and home computer ports) are all newer than the original DOS version, but none of them are supposed to have changed the underlying mechanics at all. Just graphics and UI, with the odd bug/accidental change that may have crept in during the porting process. I've never seen a full comparison between all the console version though, so that'd be interesting to see.

For example, the corruption model was dramatically altered in DOS patch 3 as @GPR mentions above, but which corruption model do the various console versions use? Or the windows version for that matter.

You could make a really good tool assisted speedrun with that information, roll a map where all the AIs are close together on the same continent, then use the huts to get a bunch of extra units, spread them out across the world then attack all the enemies with 100% success.

EDIT - I see all the normal world record runs on youtube/twitch are using earth map to guarantee that the civs are close together. I'm thinking random map, 7 civs, hardest difficulty for maximum abuse of the engine! :D

Top Bottom