What size map do you play?

I play small even tiny on my laptop. If I get time on my desktop I'll play bigger maps, but those games never end.

I wonder how you can play it on such large maps without some lag?
I played Civ V on my older laptop and it lags on larger maps.

Mostly standard size with 3 added civs in the game, sometimes tiny/duel with max civs added in.

Does anybody ever try a domination victory on a huge map? It seems like it would be much more difficult than on a smaller map, and more difficult than other victory conditions.

Does anybody ever try a domination victory on a huge map? It seems like it would be much more difficult than on a smaller map, and more difficult than other victory conditions.

Just finished a pure-domination game on a huge Large Islands map on King. Trying out one on Emperor now. It's too early to talk about the Emperor game but I did manage to win the King one.

It was great fun. Taking out my two neighbours and then straight onto the runaway - the Inca, who had settled cities everywhere! As in any map size, that was the tipping point when I became #1 but it was awesome leading a large navy across massive oceans from civ to civ becoming stronger all the time. Had over 1200gpt in the later game through all those puppets!

I've done domination on a huge map, and I didn't think it was that much harder than a standard--just way, way more time consuming. You have more rivals to race to the wonders, and you can't micromanage all the other civilizations, e.g. try to make them go kill each other. But you get more CS friends, more benefit from maritime CS allies, and more trading partners. Planting holy sites and academies makes less sense. Moving units to the front line on normal speed takes much longer. On the whole, it's just a lot more busy work; especially when the game's already more-or-less won. It's better to up the difficulty by rolling a poor start.

I didn't think it was that much harder than a standard--just way, way more time consuming.

That is part of the reason I like larger maps (I find huge overkill, large with a few extra Civs works well). The reason being it pushes domination victory back a couple of eras. On standard maps it is difficult not to conquer most of the map by the time Industrial hits meaning you never get a chance to play with all the late-game toys.

It does result in significantly longer games both because it takes longer to conquer the map and because more micromanagement/longer turns. But I hate starting in later eras, so it is a good way for me to experience late-game combat without modifying the game settings or purposely holding back for 80% of the game.

It does push "victory" back, technically, but it really has very little impact on when the game is already more-or-less won. Those latter eras are just busy work. It's good for learning the ropes of the game, e.g. blitzkrieging a guy with a ton of bombers, but once you've learned that you really need a challenge on your hands. When you up the difficulty it becomes much easier to do post-Dynamite combat while the game is still in question. Now you start getting into artillery-vs-artillery and fighter-vs-fighter contests.

Advanced starts are cool. It's a different game. The downside is, the AI sucks at it.

Well the issue of AI losing steam around Renaissance is present on all difficulties and maps. Even Deity, if you manage to get to Industrial around the same time, won't be able to keep up with GS bulbs.

And really the AI is worse at modern combat than earlier eras, so it doesn't really matter where they are at that point in the game. It is impossible for the AI to read the map and counter nukes, bomber spam, and battleships/subs bombarding coastlines.

The difference is not on the AI, but on the player. If I play at a regular pace not trying to snipe capitals or game the system, just systematically clear the map when convenient, I will usually clear a standard map by Renaissance/Industrial. Adding a few more AI's and space, and I get to actually use air and tanks.

I've done that in my second (and last) game I played as Ethopia, OCC. It was my first game playing on Immortal, and it was pretty much the only game where the outcome was in doubt all the way into the Information Era.

I basically had to fight to defend my single city for a good chunk of the game, while trying to keep up with Korea in tech (no easy task!). I thought I had him when I got a bunch of frigates and a couple of privateers, but he had like a dozen of those stupid Turtle ships so I had to re-direct my navy elsewhere, and knock off some of the lesser coastal capitals first. I was playing against 12 Civs, luckily none of them became a runaway and I was able to bribe the frontrunners to fight each other often enough to keep them from taking a big lead. Korea eventually fell after I upgraded to battleships just before he could get there himself, so I smoked Seoul with five BSs and my last privateer, and got the hell out of there fast! I think we were still technically at war even at the end of the game, he didn't take it too well...

The last two civs posed a unique challenge, as they were pretty deep inland (North and South America, respectively, on the huge Earth map). I eventually resorted to bombing the crap out of them with a fleet of stealth bombers and carriers, and softening up their surrounding defenses enough that my CS allies could take the capitals for me! The last one of them had just finished their first spaceship part when it finally fell...

Good times. :)

Size matters. I like them as huge as possible. I wish they had an extra large map, where they could fit all civilisations available to date. Even if took the computer half an hour to end a single turn, I'd spend these 30 minutes giggling like a Japanese schoolgirl about to defeat Godzilla with a giant robot.

Yup, I guess this analogy works just fine.

I prefer Tiny or Small maps with extra civs and less CS to tighten things up. Usually I turn off diplomatic victory as well in these setups. Resources at "Sparse" make the coming battles for real estate very critical. The citidel use to spam hexes becomes very useful. And smaller, more streamlined, Armies are forced upon you.

Hi, I always play the biggest map size ^^
I play with 22 civilizations and around 30 city states

Size matters. I like them as huge as possible. I wish they had an extra large map, where they could fit all civilisations available to date. Even if took the computer half an hour to end a single turn, I'd spend these 30 minutes giggling like a Japanese schoolgirl about to defeat Godzilla with a giant robot.

Yup, I guess this analogy works just fine.

There are a ton of mods for that. Check the Steam Workshop.

Top Bottom