What units are you good at commanding?

You can read about it here. ;)

I consider myself to be fairly able with any type of unit (although for peasants.. :cringe:).

However I like cavalry units, and always make a point of having some.

I like archers too, they kill a lot and die less.

My guess would be that my best type of unit is missile closely followed by horsemen.

Nothing like baiting the enemy with horsemen running around them so your archers can fire into their unprotected backs :evil:

For me it depends on the type of landscape Im battling on:

My Best Landscape for Battle is always the Bridge, I hold this two ways -
- Spartan Hopilites or other Spearmen
- Catapult Artillery
- Elephants (As long as not against Spearmen)

While Defending Cities -
- Spartan/Armored Hopilites or other Spearmen
- Archers (Missles w/ Flame)
- Cavalry

While on Basic Terrain -
- Cavalry (Not Missle)

-

I like a phalanx army myself, preferably with hypaspist or Silver Shield legionaire support. The individual unit I love the most though is the Cataphract - devastating AND hard to kill. I experimented with a Seleucid army made entirely of cataphracts and mercenary horse archers - it was highly successful and enjoyable to play.

I'm good with all sorts of heavy infantry myself. Often while playing the Romans, I wouldn't raise any cavalry (though I would hire some mercenaries), and I would usually attmept to surround the enemy so that they couldn't escape. Good fun, but quite difficult to pull off.

A strange question because the real skill is in combining the various troops for the best impact. Having a mixture of infantry horses and missile and using them together effectively is the key. Being good at only one troop type is pretty useless.

It's also a money thing. Anybody can kill anything with a huge army only consisting of heavy cavalry. Using cheap troops to kill an expensive army. No feeling beats it. ha ha mongol scum.

drzoidberg said:
A strange question because the real skill is in combining the various troops for the best impact. Having a mixture of infantry horses and missile and using them together effectively is the key. Being good at only one troop type is pretty useless.

The point is, IMO, what units are you most comfortable with to command? Which type of unit do you have that extra confidence knowing how to use them to the max?

It doesn't imply that one is good only with horses and bad with others, or such. In a battle with different mixes, are you more efficient in giving commands to one type rather in comparison to other types? Are you more practiced with heavy infantry than light? etc.

I too fight with infantry, missile units and horses or anything else necessary, as do most (all?) the posters above.

I like archers too, they kill a lot and die less.
You'd love EB, I've found that there is a higher kill ratio when using ranged units, especially when the enemy is retreating. Slingers have greater range, and appear to do more damage (but statistically I don't know for sure).

------------------------------------------------

On Topic:
In vanilla and RTR I am (or was rather, I'm an EB guy now) the king of phalanxes.

I also liked units like the Bastarnae and Thracian Light (?) infantry.

In EB I like the legions, slingers, and certain mercenaries (which is used almost exclusively when out on campaign). But honestly, when I'm far from my home bases and it'll take forever for re-inforcements to reach me, I hire any and all mercenaries I can afford (and units are more expensive here as well).

I love playing Carthage. Get me Sacred Band Infantry, Sacred Band Cavalry, Armoured Elephants a couple Balearic Slingers, a pair of Hvy Onagers, and let the big party begin.

Sacred Band = Let them Absorb enemy fire - arrows, stones, pilums, whatever, these guys just dont die easily, counting that you upgrade their defense to at least 27 (i always do).

Sacred Cavalry = Keep´em ready on the flanks to kill any enemy cav, archers peltats or "alone" units. Never attack all cav at once instead send one at a time and try to envolope the enemy.

Armoured Eles = Place them far back on loose formation single line to cover the hole battle line and only use´em at the middle-end action

Balearic - Snipe out the general, use them witch cav.

Hvy Onagers = Kill enemy onagers, riot enemy eles/chariots, kill the general- tips: stones are better for taking enemy siege equipment since they are more accurate, but fire can be used at close quarters to waste down compact infantry formations.

Fast infantry is great in my hands. Especially against phalanxes. It's so enjoyable to first order a phalanx to fight another phalanx in front, and then order some fast infantry(warbands, hastati, light spearmen) to slaughter in side. With cavalry it's tiresome, you have to attack many times to make big damage. Infantry is so cheap that you can sacrifice some to do this trick, but cavalry is too expensive.

I can also handle hoplites. If there's a line of hoplites against another, maybe even longer line of hoplites, I usually win that battle. Just leave the worst hoplites to fight on front and use best hoplites to run to the unprotected flanks. Usually I can pretty fast get few enemy hoplites retreat.

Cavalry, especially light cavalry. My armies are mix of every unit type, but light cavalry does most of the work. I use other units to give the light cavalry the opening they need. One big cavalry charge on the flanks is enough to rout most armies. I avoid stronger units until the weaker units have been routed.

One of my top phalanxes is the elite Kleurochoi Agema phalanx. My favorite tactic is setting them up in an octagon formation, archers inside, and cavalry way off on the sides (so as to hit the enemy when they are stupid enough to attack the phalanx ring).

Probably the standard infantry, as I'm so fond of using them. That said, I have found myself quite capable of using ranged units from archers to siege weapons, putting them in the best position and knocking out the main opposition. Couldn't really answer then.

Cavalry I'm alright with, I can manoeuvre them into flanking attacks and knocking out the enemy, but I've never felt I'm ever using them properly.

I'm the opposite. I always seem to excell when I've got hoards of rubbish peasants and milita. I'm good at using moral I think. I can manage my units low moral pretty well, and use overwhelming numbers to rout the enemy.

Are you good at commanding cavalry, infantry, missile, etc?
BTW How do I create polls?

From my extensive recent experience as the Seleucid Empire (I've had to manually fight every battle to ensure that my hoplites work right, especially against the Egyptians), I find that the specifics of the Seleucid army are perfectly suited to my battle style. I would say my best command is with hoplites, supported by archers, with some light cavalry and perhaps chariots for support, though I tend to shy away from the chariots, they get spooked by my archers' flaming arrows.

From my extensive recent experience as the Seleucid Empire (I've had to manually fight every battle to ensure that my hoplites work right, especially against the Egyptians), I find that the specifics of the Seleucid army are perfectly suited to my battle style. I would say my best command is with hoplites, supported by archers, with some light cavalry and perhaps chariots for support, though I tend to shy away from the chariots, they get spooked by my archers' flaming arrows.
I love the Seleucids too, though I usually field a good amount of Phalanxes rather than Hoplites. I agree with you as far as the chariots go - they are very difficult to command effectively - though the autocalc seems to love them. Try using a stack of chariots with some support against rebels.

Top Bottom