What Would You Do?

brewgod

Prince
Hello Civ Fans,

I am deep into a Rise and Fall game on King against Shaka and Federick of Germany. They both have launched there first satellite and I am just now building my Spaceports. I have around 20 turns left until I get defeated I am guessing. I do have the Venetian to build double the battleships and subs and destroyers. I currently have my ships on the border of Shaka but not with Germany. I am guessing at this point not to lose to a science victory, my only hope is to capture the two capitols. I denounced Shaka and waiting for the 5th turn to declare war.

I also can buy units with faith which I am doing to get tanks. What would you guys do in this case. Shaka already has two or more spaceports and Germany has at least 1. I have my spy only in Germany and will try to take out the spaceport.

One city from Zulu's that I see which I have around 7 battleships on the border and plus some tanks has walls the strength of 115 plus an encampment. It will take many many turns from my battleships to get that city of 27 or 28 population to go down. I can only imagine what his capitol looks like and if it's close enough to the ocean so my battleships and subs can fire upon it. I do not have nuclear subs yet either nor nukes to wipe the huge cities out.

Hope for the best that the AI will play dumb and not start the second section of science launches etc. Also I know the majority of players here play on Immortal and above and when reading this post must wonder how can you get yourself into such problems on King difficulty. I took Teddy out early with my Frigates since he was on my island and then just focused on building my economy and navy. Never looked to take out other Civs. But when finding them on the other side of the map I saw how advanced they were.

Any pro or con input would be great.

Thanks

Brew God

Send spies to try and sabotage their spaceports. Total war is an option; late game AI warfare isn't too good. It's likely not needed however, because in the end it comes down to this:

The AI doesn't properly focus on their space race, and will lose up to several dozen turns compared to a player doing the space race. If they have just launched their satellite and you are building spaceports, there's no need to get worried.

Note that in particular the third step of the space race can take them long to complete. As reference, Deity win times are almost always above 300 turns; you're very unlikely to lose before that turn timer.

Edit: Also, hover over the space race indicators in the victory progress screen; that way you can check which space race technologies the AI has already researched.

Even though they build spaceports they will be quite a long way from actually winning. Just look at the victory screen.

They both have launched there first satellite and I am just now building my Spaceports. I have around 20 turns left until I get defeated I am guessing.

On Deity, based on my test game observations (standard speed, standard size, continents map), it takes the AI on average about 24 turns from the time they build their first Spaceport to the time they complete the second stage of the space race (land a man on the moon) (range 15 min to 33 max). Then it takes them on average another 59 turns before they finish the science victory (range 53 min to 65 max).

I don't have data on the expected time from completing satellites to victory, but from the above, you can probably assume that you have another 50 turns, at least, to finish your own victory after the first AI civ lands on the moon (end of the second stage in the victory progress chart).

That's on Deity. Presumably King should be much slower, unless you have a runaway who controls half of the map or something. EDIT: To build on that, the winning AI on Deity under these settings typically has 15 to 18 cities. An AI that controls more cities than that could be a threat to finish the space race faster.

Also, all the above is based on standard speed, so would need to adjust that if applicable.

The AI goes wide on spaceports, which means they cannot defend them against superspies. Hopefully, you worked your spies to max/best promotions for the SP whacking job, right? Then you have no problem. No problem at all.

Since the question from OP is what i would do. I’ve had simular experiences on civ 6 playing immortal/deity. Some of the time i finish one game after one patch (or not if i dont feel up to it). more then half of the games will result in me being the strongest civ in the world and quitting a couple of era’s after when things are quiet. It is like victory is certain after pressing enter 60-100 more turns. 20% of the games end in failure and about same number i finish them. None of the games i played till the end resulted in me finishing the game and not scoring one of the victory types.

I denounced Shaka and waiting for the 5th turn to declare war.

If you're under the assumption that it's a win or loose situation then why on earth would you care about using a casu belli?

Top Bottom