What's it like?

VCrakeV

Prince
It's been a few months since I've played BE at all. Has the expansion and recent patches done much to benefit the game? I was thinking of picking up RT during the holidays, like I did with BE last year. Basically, I'm looking for a brief summary and advice.

Here we go again... Sorry, it's just you are not the first person to ask this question.

Basically, you'll get different answers. Personally, I would say yes. I think Rising Tide adds a lot to the game. It adds interesting new sponsors and new mechanics that add to the gameplay. Artifacts, water cities, hybrid units, the new diplo traits and the ability to buy/sell resources through espionage are great. If you enjoyed base BE, you should definitely get Rising Tide.

Others on this forum will disagree with what I just said. There are many who feel Rising Tide does not fix pre-existing problems with the game and does not go far enough. Some also feel that the game is simply not challenging due to the poor AI.

In the end, it depends on you. Only you know how you felt about base BE and whether you care to continue playing the game or not.

Here we go again... Sorry, it's just you are not the first person to ask this question.

Basically, you'll get different answers. Personally, I would say yes. I think Rising Tide adds a lot to the game. It adds interesting new sponsors and new mechanics that add to the gameplay. Artifacts, water cities, hybrid units, the new diplo traits and the ability to buy/sell resources through espionage are great. If you enjoyed base BE, you should definitely get Rising Tide.

Others on this forum will disagree with what I just said. There are many who feel Rising Tide does not fix pre-existing problems with the game and does not go far enough. Some also feel that the game is simply not challenging due to the poor AI.

Others may not disagree, they'd just emphasise the latter more - the thing is, these are not mutually exclusive. The new mechanics do in general add to the gameplay (save the titular aquatic cities, which are inconsequential save that they allow more of the map to be colonised on aquatic maps).

At the same time, nothing that caused complaints in the original game has been addressed (save for adding flavour to the different sponsors), and the difficulty remains very low.

For someone who didn't enjoy base BE enough to continue playing, the camp the original poster seems to fall into, it probably simply isn't worth it - the summary version is that RT is a good addition for the people who were already enjoying the game, but it's not a product that should bring anybody back if they weren't satisfied with BE.

I was enjoying BE vanilla, but I had other games to play, and figured I should wait until RT comes out (and patches itself) before I continue. I'm not a great player, so the AI is not a big issue for me. Mostly what irritated me was narrow strategizing (think academy spam) and wonders/techs that are no good, or just too far out or expensive to take advantage of. At the very least, I'd buy it if there is an unofficial patch for wonders and such.

If you hated how non-factor the aliens is in Civ:BE. Don't buy rising tides. They're still not a factor in the games. Occasionally Krakens will eat Chungsu's capital because they fired at the krakens early and angered them. Thereby wiping out one sponsor. XD

And that's it. Other than that, aliens is not a threat. :p

I was enjoying BE vanilla, but I had other games to play, and figured I should wait until RT comes out (and patches itself) before I continue. I'm not a great player, so the AI is not a big issue for me. Mostly what irritated me was narrow strategizing (think academy spam) and wonders/techs that are no good, or just too far out or expensive to take advantage of. At the very least, I'd buy it if there is an unofficial patch for wonders and such.

In that case you may well be one of the players who'd appreciate Rising Tide. I haven't played enough to know how good or otherwise the Wonders are, or if that's changed in most respects, but there is one important change resulting from the new diplomatic capital resource. Most if not all Wonders now produce a large amount of diplomatic capital per turn, making them one of the quickest ways to accumulate this.

As well as unlocking perks and agreements with other factions, every faction favours Wonders - if you build one, you'll get persistent respect bonuses with everybody.

Top Bottom