what's the point of fallout?

Jim Bro

Emperor of Quebec
i've never been nuked so can someone explain me what fallout really does plz. nukes are not good enough in my opinion.

Fallout covers tiles around where a nuke hits - you lose access to resources which were on those tiles and they cannot be worked by citizens in a city either. Military and civilian units which step onto fallout covered tiles take damage.

Fallout covers tiles around where a nuke hits - you lose access to resources which were on those tiles and they cannot be worked by citizens in a city either. Military and civilian units which step onto fallout covered tiles take damage.

civilian units?? workers can take damage from fallout?? and settlers and great persons too??

I don't recall unit taking damage, but it severely hampered movement, and probably gave defensive penalties

so nobody really has an answer lol. can someone be more specific?

i don't think nukes prevent a city from working a tile because it would simply starve to death within 10turns and i don't recall that happening.

Fallout doesn't technically make a tile unworkable, but it pillages all improvements and gives a -3 to food, hammers, and gold. So the tile is effectively useless until the fallout is removed. I've definitely seen cities start to starve when hit. It also costs two movement to move through fallout and units will take a -33% combat penalty when attacked there. Fallout itself doesn't damage units, though.

Getting nuked is pretty bad. All of your resources & roads get pillaged, the city's hitpoints are low enough that it can be taken over by a single unit, all units in the city are destroyed, you lose population, you have to dedicate a ton of worker turns if you want your land back to normal, any nearby units are reduced to a couple of hit points (atomic bomb) or destroyed outright (nuclear missile), and you have no defense against it. That is, unless you nuke the city containing their nukes first.

What else would you rather nukes do to make them good enough? I loved the planet buster in SMAC, which simply turned the city & surrounding tiles into a lake, but I think that would be a little overpowered in Civ 5.

My mod Petroleum is using fallout for nuclear meltdowns in nuclear fission plants and for radioactive contamination from uranium mines. ^^

Looks well - if I see it in the opponents territory...

Also, you can actually destroy a city straight out if you nuke it like 2 times (depending on strength). It will make a nice big crater there.

The actual purpose of fallout, besides hampering the defender, is to prevent the attacker from moving in too quickly and taking a city too cheaply. However, if the city is on the coast you still have an edge since fallout does not occur on water (England helps).

All units within 2 tiles of nuked city def take damage or get killed.
In my current game (king, germans) I got 2 of my cities nuked and immiediately lost all units nearby - dead. Lost 2 workers and some artys - ouch!

Yeah the nuke itself will definitely kill many units in its radius. The main reason cities typically won't begin starving from fallout is because they end up with only half the population remaining after the nuke, and usually, that few citizens can be sustained by a Granary and Hospital and a few remaining farms.

People have often called nukes UP (ridiculous given the time that passes between turns) in civ games, yet in every civ game I've seen them, they are devastatingly cost-effective when used with any semblance of strategy. Tell me, how many other in-game weapons can completely wipe multiple units of the same or greater tech instantly, ignoring terrain and sometimes at less hammer cost than what they destroy?

Not many.

I always found it interesting in civ IV that people would claim nukes were too weak there, and yet with a little investment into them a 10 city high level AI could be wiped of the map before it even got a turn after declaration. Some weak unit! Given its equalizing potential in civ V, I suspect it's more of the same.

People have often called nukes UP (ridiculous given the time that passes between turns) in civ games, yet in every civ game I've seen them, they are devastatingly cost-effective when used with any semblance of strategy. Tell me, how many other in-game weapons can completely wipe multiple units of the same or greater tech instantly, ignoring terrain and sometimes at less hammer cost than what they destroy?

Not many.

I always found it interesting in civ IV that people would claim nukes were too weak there, and yet with a little investment into them a 10 city high level AI could be wiped of the map before it even got a turn after declaration. Some weak unit! Given its equalizing potential in civ V, I suspect it's more of the same.

Very true. i'd still like to see ICMB in V though. If they were as powerful as the missile however and couldn't be evaded with unlimited range, they would be OP. I think to balance you need some serious diplomacy effect for using nukes.

I think to balance you need some serious diplomacy effect for using nukes.

Yes, please.

It's odd that using nukes would have no diplomatic costs attatched.

Particularly so, if your the first to launch.

A retaliatory nuke strike seems kosher but I'd like to see more adverse consequences attatched to being the first Civ to use nukes.

The use of nukes just feels too arbitrary; As if the devs knew nukes were part of the show but had no idea of how to implement and didn't have time to code for funtional mechanics.

So instead of useful integration for thoughtful gameplay, nukes are simlpy used as erasers to remove late game obstacles.

So what we end up with is a vestigial appendage, and an extremely powerful one, that has the power to break games but that has nothing to tie it to the greater whole.

Two cents.

Top Bottom