When to build improvements?

Nah. Maybe if it were a ridiculously cheap small wonder (like 60 or 70 shields) that put a coastal fortress in each of your cities, it'd be worth it? (and coastal fortresses cannot be built otherwise)

Possibly. It'd be slightly better bang for the buck, so I guess I'd be slightly more likely to build it. Still mostly useless though.

but they sound so badass! COASTAL!! FORRRTTRESS!!! Mhuuuhhahahahahahaa!!!
Anyway.
I've made the thing into a Dromon building (1 every 5 turns, just like the Temples of Zeus and the Knights Templar) Small Wonder that can be obtained by researching Invention.
Industrialization makes it obsolete.

Not a bad idea, nor is the cannon one.

Now I'm tempted to make it produce Privateers, because there aren't usually enough of those in the game. More realistic might be an immobile, range-1 missile unit, but I don't think you could limit it to just the sea.

Nah. Maybe if it were a ridiculously cheap small wonder (like 60 or 70 shields) that put a coastal fortress in each of your cities, it'd be worth it? (and coastal fortresses cannot be built otherwise)

Sorry, but Small Wonders cannot give buildings to other cities (only Great Wonders can do that).

My standard mod for costal forts is to have them increase commerce in the city (merchants paying for the secure harbour) and produce a cannon every 7 turns.

Yes, this was the solution, I used in CCM, too.:) The coastal fortress must be equiped with cannons that can do real damage to other ships. In CCM these buildings autoproduce coastal cannons. These units are immobile sea-units with a bombardment range of two and lethal sea-bombardement.

Am I right in thinking that the Recycling Centres are glitched also?

I had a little experiment with them today and they didn't seem to actually do anything. Well, that is depending on the order in which I produced Pollution battling buildings. I had a size 29 Metropolis that had a good long line of Yellow Triangles. I built a Recycling Centre and the line decreased so marginally I could quite easily have missed it had I not been looking for it, but when I built Mass Transit the Triangles were reduced to one. I then sold the Recycling Centre and the Triangles stayed at one, suggesting the Recycling Centre is pointless in conjunction with Mass Transit.

So is the Recycling Centre glitched or does it fight a different type of Triangle (Mass Transit doing Population generated Triangles whereas the Recycling Centre doing the Industrial Triangles, for example)?

Am I right in thinking that the Recycling Centres are glitched also?
No, I don't think so.

So is the Recycling Centre glitched or does it fight a different type of Triangle (Mass Transit doing Population generated Triangles whereas the Recycling Centre doing the Industrial Triangles, for example)?
This is your more accurate assumption, Buttercup. Build your Mass Transits when you have around 4 yellow triangles in a city screen. Then you don't have to build a Recycling Center until the Yellow triangles start to increase again.

Population pollution seems to generate quickly, as does the effects of a Mass Transit. While the pollution from improvements seems to build slower, as does the improvement- generated pollution-removing Recycling Centers.

Mass Transits remove the pollution from over-population, Recycling Centers remove pollution from improvements.

Ah, I see, thanks for that!

It's somewhat confusing because none of this is in the Civilopedia and the Triangles are not coloured differently according to their source.

Sorry, but Small Wonders cannot give buildings to other cities (only Great Wonders can do that).

Good point. And sadly, that appears to be a hardcoded limitation.

Ah, I see, thanks for that!

It's somewhat confusing because none of this is in the Civilopedia and the Triangles are not coloured differently according to their source.

It would be kinda of nice if it were broken down like that.

I have created a return on investment calculator for factories that can be used for other city improvements decisions. Have a look.

Attachments

• civilization cost calculator.xls
    13.5 KB · Views: 146
Top Bottom