[Vanilla] When to make peace

Carassius

Chieftain
Often another civ will declare war on me. If I am successful, I can defend my empire and cherry-pick a couple of their cities that look like useful additions for me to have.

Once I have what I want and / or war weariness is getting too heavy I will make peace. Even if they cede the cities to me as part of the peace settlement, they are upset about their cities until the end of the game.

Would I be better off to raze their cities and resettle in the same spot? Or simply wipe out their empire completely? Or . . . ? Should I never make peace even if I don't want anymore of their crappy cities?

Would I be better off to raze their cities and resettle in the same spot?
This will cost a lot as settler costs escalate quickly, one of the big values in taking other peoples cities is because settlers get too expensive too fast.
Or simply wipe out their empire completely?
In ancient it is 0 issue to do so, as you move on depending on who knows, the warmonger points can build up. One tip is leave the last city, it will eventually fall even if it mean bread anc circus or giving their envoys a stomach bug.
Should I never make peace even if I don't want anymore of their crappy cities?
Peace is good for culture victories although taking out 1 civ is OK. For domination, I'll make peace purely because managing lots of cities is a pain. I can always go and farm their plots if I need a culture or science push. for science victories its about how good is the chop in the city to get another uni, a desert city for example could be razed. For Holier feelings, its about 50%, pressure and faith. Razing becomes more a zealot thing as reducing cities makes 50% easier.

Top Bottom