When you look at the tech tree, filter techs by affinity...

s0nny80y

Emperor
...and choose the technology which nets you the most points for a single affinity at the lowest turns required.

In the early game, I often focus on the techs that will enable certain improvements:
  • Ultrasonic Fence, so that my trade routes are not pillaged by aliens
  • Tech that lets me build Rangers/Gunners
  • Techs that let me harvest Firaxite, Xenomass, and Floatstone
  • Computing, to get my Spy Agency up
After that, in the mid-game (say turns 75-150), yes, I've usually picked my affinity and choose the techs that give more affinity points in the fewest turns.

I used to try to focus on one affinity, but that is not always practical since you have to take into account where you are settled and what is happening with other factions.

I usually start with some basic techs which every one needs, then pick techs/affinity based on what I think is the best strategy. I usually windup with a Hybrid Affinity.

Agree about looking at the map.

Occasionally, I have a goal / victory in mind before I start the game. "Supremacy with XX leader" so I choose the planet, biome, and load out to match the goal.

Most of the time, I pick a leader and play the map. I first look to see if I have enough land to build my empire and leave space for earthling settlements, which must have the same minimum spacing as cities. If not, then Purity becomes secondary. I have a soft spot for Harmony, as it helps me grow out of the Health deficit, but that may be more *my* personality rather than the leader I'm playing. It's a victory condition for a "builder", which is what I do more often than warmonger. I don't usually try for a quick Domination victory.

Most of my games I have plenty of access to the strategic resources (Floatstone, Firaxite, Xenomass) so that I'm not constrained for building advanced units. Once I've chosen a VC, I figure out where to put the victory wonder so that I can defend it easily.

Top Bottom