Which Civ/leader best suits your playstyle?

The Netherlands is my favourite civ, and not (just) because I'm Dutch. I like building compact cities around rivers and estuaries. And I like trade routes, it's a perfect match for Owls of Minerva. Boost to building dams and barriers is also nice.

While I like the polders I preferred the Civ5 version. The Civ6 version is too limited and hard to place, making spots for the adjacency bonuses for having multiple together rare and far between.
Yeah, the civ 5 version was a lot better. I used to grow large populations with it.

I would say that Bull Moose Teddy Roosevelt fits me the best. My favorite victory type is cultural, and I get there through national park and great work spam.

Trajan because of the perfect balance and good early start. I have to force myself not to play as Trajan (yet again!) to be honest.

Yeah, the civ 5 version was a lot better. I used to grow large populations with it.

But polders on floodplains would conflict with the river adjacency bonus so I guess that wouldn't work. I would really like it if mountains on the required 3 adjacent tiles wouldn't block it though. Is there a mod for that by chance?

Lately I've been enjoying the vikings. I play a faith-oriented game with a few cities, so having strong holy sites is essential. I think only Australia and maybe Poland can rival the adjacency bonuses of Norway. In the picture, you can see a holy site with baseline adjacency bonus of 15 - 3 from the woods, 6 from the snow pantheon, and 6 more from the stave church. Add in the double policy card and it's a game changer. Even this small city with only a farm and camp was able to build the Mahabodi temple in under 10 turns (standard speed).

Also, I like Ethiopia (rock-hewn churches are my favorite improvement), Poland, and Mali. Vietnam also a historical favorite but less so since they nerfed the unique encampment.

Rome is my least favorite, but I also dislike Maya, Korea, Kongo, and Babylon. The Mayans are supposed to be the tall civ, but in this regard they get an F from me. Kongo can't even found its own religion (yikes!), Korea is boring, and Babylon is way too much of a weird gimmick.

There are doubtless others I like and dislike whom I left out. It's great there is a large variety that caters to different tastes.

Spoiler :

perfect holy site.jpg

Harald Hardrada on archipelago with marathon speed so I can take my time exploring the map and finding the best spots to colonize while everyone else is twiddling their thumbs on their islands for the first several hundred turns or so :goodjob:

But polders on floodplains would conflict with the river adjacency bonus so I guess that wouldn't work. I would really like it if mountains on the required 3 adjacent tiles wouldn't block it though. Is there a mod for that by chance?
On civ 6 you can build them on lakes but on civ 5 you can build them on flood plains.

I have problems running the Vikings. They are supposed to be all about coastal raiding, but I can't find suitable targets - and you do have to go through the whole routine of declaring war first.

I have problems running the Vikings. They are supposed to be all about coastal raiding, but I can't find suitable targets - and you do have to go through the whole routine of declaring war first.
Routine? What routine."Are you sure you want to declare war?" "Yes" :dunno:

And of course your target has to be on the coast. If there's no suitable coastal targets, send in some berserkers, pillage what you want and then get the hell out of dodge before your victim has a chance to react.

Vietnam is my new fav.

It's cos I like to play Apocalypse and Zombies. (Yes and as an additional challenge both modes together!)

On civ 6 you can build them on lakes but on civ 5 you can build them on flood plains.
I know. I liked the 5 version, just saying that polders on floodplains wouldn't work well in 6 because of the district adjacency bonus for rivers.

I know. I liked the 5 version, just saying that polders on floodplains wouldn't work well in 6 because of the district adjacency bonus for rivers.
I did too, I had large populations with that one.. but the civ 6 I haven't been able to try but I see that you have.

Vietnam is my new fav.

It's cos I like to play Apocalypse and Zombies. (Yes and as an additional challenge both modes together!)
The last zombies game I played crippled the AI way to much to the point that some cities only had zombie defences and barely any farm or mine at all!
Makes conquering these cities harder to conquer though, those defences sting a lot!

The last zombies game I played crippled the AI way to much to the point that some cities only had zombie defences and barely any farm or mine at all!
Makes conquering these cities harder to conquer though, those defences sting a lot!
Once Zombies swarm an AI cap, you're kinda screwed.

Try a later start. Medieval era starts give cities free walls. Helps to keep Zombies at bay.

Monopolies mode helps to end the game quickly otherwise there's just too much grind in Zombies mode.
If only Firaxis spent a little more time developing it, I think it wouldn't have been so widely panned by gamers.
Just one thing: allowing units to remain fortified, so you don't have to grind every turn telling every unit to remain fortified 😆

I just like to play domination victory, so I used in civ6 Zulus, Aztecs and Sparta (in that order).
Zulus have the strong Impi warriors and can former coorporation before in the game.
Aztecs can afford war in the first turn because his unique unit is the Eagle Warriors. I remember to play in real location earth with Aztecs and around turn 25 I already conquer USA and Canada. Just the Cree in North America should wait because they are able to build walls early on.
And for last I used Sparta, just because his ability of wins culture for each unit kill in the game. With Sparta I won a religious victory in because I was unnable to conquer the Zulus, so I converted they to my religion and conquer all other civs, was a full map on deity.

I've probably played Persia more than any other civ. As a very unwarlike player, I get nothing out of Cyrus, but Pairidāezāha are just sublime. Russia's pretty great, too, for the religion/culture combo. And of the new civs, Vietnam was the surprise standout of NFP.

I've probably played Persia more than any other civ. As a very unwarlike player, I get nothing out of Cyrus, but Pairidāezāha are just sublime. Russia's pretty great, too, for the religion/culture combo. And of the new civs, Vietnam was the surprise standout of NFP.
I havent gotten to use Vietnam tbh and I still want to. Random civs can leave out so many civs sometimes.

I havent gotten to use Vietnam tbh and I still want to. Random civs can leave out so many civs sometimes.
That's why I never play random. :D Heaven knows I'd have gotten stuck with some warmonger civ like Zulu, Mongols, or Alexander every time. :p

Top Bottom