Which Civ/leader best suits your playstyle?

I like to have fun when playing video games.

Kupe on an archipelago map does that for me.

Ones that dominate their terrain. so: Inca for mountains, Canada (since the latest buffs) for tundra, Mali for desert, and Vietnam (though not the underwhelming Brazil) for jungle.
I agree pretty much with your priorities and picks, although I have to admit that Brazil is probably the civ I've played most times, just because the Sacred Path + Work Ethics + Scripture combo is so ridiculously broken.

Easy, Monty. I like the early aggression paired with all the free builders for early infrastructure. I always feel like I'm in overdrive early with him. Then I get to decide if I feel like staying aggressive or pursuing a peaceful VC.

I love things that interact with the map/terrain (like unique improvements, or kupe's faith/culture on features, etc), and I also like to play mostly peacefully and build lots of infrastructure and go for either a science or culture win. So my favorite civs to play are probably ones like the Inca, Dutch, Maori...

Canada. Culture victory is my favourite, and the ability to focus on it without having to worry about war is nice. You can also neglect faith as Canada since Mounties don't require it. Canada also gets a pretty consistent boost to yields from the early game onto the late game, especially on a map with tons of deer, coupled with the camp pantheon and Temple of Artemis.

I'm always drawn to Hammurabi - those sudden acquisitions of technology suit me very well.

What no one had mentioned a religious civ? I go for a religion even if I'm playing Korea.

Anyways Ethiopia is imo the most OP civ there is. Their faith generation is so insane that I can buy all the settlers/workers I want, all the armies that I want, then all the great people I want once everything else is maxed.

I like all civs with their unique strategies. I feel like its unfair to choose a few and leave the rest out.

Similar - I don't have a set playstyle; sometimes I have different moods than others. Some games I just want to beat people up, some games I want to sit back and expand. Sometimes I just want really big and fancy cities. If i'm in the mood for something, sometimes I pick a leader for that. Otherwise, I prefer to play to the leader rather than the leader playing to me.

Same here. I tend to build a lot of coastal cities (despite Harbors being able to be built in cities not directly on the coast). I love to send out trade routes and maximize my gold income, and I build a lot of Campuses. So Joao of Portugal caught my eye as soon as his information started dropping before his release.
Another civ I realized I like to play for a Cultural victory is Kristina of Sweden. I don't know if that's the optimal choice for a CV, but the simple fact that theming bonuses are automatically fulfilled once the building's slots are filled is reason enough to play them. One less obnoxious chore to deal with is right up my alley.

Another civ I realized I like to play for a Cultural victory is Kristina of Sweden. I don't know if that's the optimal choice for a CV, but the simple fact that theming bonuses are automatically fulfilled once the building's slots are filled is reason enough to play them. One less obnoxious chore to deal with is right up my alley.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.. Like Kristina of Sweden, there are also other civs good with CV..

I agree pretty much with your priorities and picks, although I have to admit that Brazil is probably the civ I've played most times, just because the Sacred Path + Work Ethics + Scripture combo is so ridiculously broken.
Gotta restart a lot for that on average tho, simply because Brazil doesn't get any help for getting the pantheon earlier than other civs.
Quite fun of course, but Sacred Path is on average prolly the hardest pantheon to get to work if you want to abuse Work Ethic, as jungle is the most abundant terrain and the AI will nearly always pick Sacred Path unless Religious Settlements is taken (yes, even f*ing Kongo...).

I can recommend something that is a lighter version but easier to attain though (assuming you get the right terrain) - Norway going for tundra and stave churces, got me some nice 18-24 adjacency holy sites that way last game.
Quite strong, and if it fails (which you know the second you get your pantheon) you can always resort to Longboat or pillage spam and still have a strong early game.

Ghandi :mischief:

Naw, I'm kidding, who'd waste tile improvements like that?! Originally it was Peter, but these days it's a flip between Wilhelmina and Seondeok. As you can tell, I'm not super into the whole fighting game.
Seondeok has a good tech civ and wilhelmina has good culture
Culture is so hard to find unique nowadays... I guess that's why they call cultural output social policies. :)

They all got nukes and no civ has unique nukes, haha.

Now I want a civ with a unique nuke LOL. There's already a USSR civ on the the mods which I normally run with. But maybe USSR should have Tsar Bomba as the unique unit. :D I'm not sure how you would design it so it's not OP, but it would be cool nonetheless.

Speaking of Gandhi above, I'm not the biggest fan of civs with unique tile improvements. Maybe I'm just not using them right. But sometimes I feel tile real estate can be hard to come by some games. And I find myself not wanting to use too many tiles for unique improvements. Of course I hardly play optimally, I do like to grow large cities which requires farms and things, and often unique improvements get in the way of that.

My favorites are the ones that are closely related to the naval game, so civs like Portugal, Indonesia, Norway or Phoenicia. I enjoy naval warfare and also the more peaceful aspects of the sea, like exploring, trading and colonizing, so I feel like these civs suit my playstyle the best.

Speaking of Gandhi above, I'm not the biggest fan of civs with unique tile improvements. Maybe I'm just not using them right. But sometimes I feel tile real estate can be hard to come by some games. And I find myself not wanting to use too many tiles for unique improvements. Of course I hardly play optimally, I do like to grow large cities which requires farms and things, and often unique improvements get in the way of that.
That's a fair point. The thing I like about the Dutch and Australia is you are at least able to improve terrain that is otherwise impossible to improve with other improvements like desert and coast.

That's a fair point. The thing I like about the Dutch and Australia is you are at least able to improve terrain that is otherwise impossible to improve with other improvements like desert and coast.
That Dutch improvement is so awesome, one of my favorites since civ 5.

Cree or Australia. I like big cities, lots of gold, a well-balanced approach, and Temple of Artemis. Cree with abundant resources, Goddess of the Hunt, and a bunch of camps in the first or second city is pretty much my ideal start for a Civ game.

I only tried them out during Platinum Edition's free Steam weekend but my inner environmentalist would love the forest yield bonuses with the Maori. Found myself barely chopping trees in the first place when I used to play VI.

That Dutch improvement is so awesome, one of my favorites since civ 5.
The Netherlands is my favourite civ, and not (just) because I'm Dutch. I like building compact cities around rivers and estuaries. And I like trade routes, it's a perfect match for Owls of Minerva. Boost to building dams and barriers is also nice.

While I like the polders I preferred the Civ5 version. The Civ6 version is too limited and hard to place, making spots for the adjacency bonuses for having multiple together rare and far between.

Top Bottom