Which Civ4 Wonders of the World Have You Visited?

Which Civ4 Wonders of the World Have You Visited?

• Total voters
After I attended Woodstock ‘99 I made a side trip to NYC with some guys I met there. We went in a tour of the UN. Saw the general assembly room and such. I suppose they could have stopped doing tours at some point in the last 20 years, but look into it if you’re interested.

I have never visited any of them. The closest that I can come is seeing the Statue of Liberty from a tour boat on a tour around Manhatten, more than 50 years ago.
When I travel for fun, I prefer to go to outdoor places, like National Parks, forests, lakes, beaches, mountains, etc.

anyone care to rate the most-worth-visiting for the ones they've been to?
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu. Absolutely do this!
Chichén Itza is slightly overrated, or at least, also go to e.g. Ek Balam, Uxmal, Palenque (don't pay for overpriced tourist guides that will sell you stories about ancient aliens), et cetera.
Rome is genuinely very nice, but Athens is a trashy dump, sorry to say.

17! And somehow the only respondent to get to the Tah Mahal.

Last edited:
I've jogged a few times under a road that's close to the Hollywood sign above. I've also jogged a few trails that are close to it to see it up close.

anyone care to rate the most-worth-visiting for the ones they've been to?
Some of these are reasonably abstract (e.g. Broadway).

From the 17 I ticked, the clear winner is Angkor (Wat) -- but noting that call is partly because it is just one of many temples in the immediate area. I spent two days cycling around and roaming through every last bit.

I recommend seeing the Taj Mahal from the Fort and across the river first (in that order). You’ll think you have appreciated it from those locations, but it will still stun you once you actually arrive.

I preferred the Pyramids south of Giza, mostly because of the less chaotic atmosphere. But going inside any of them is very cool (not temperature-wise).

Only Hollywood. I've seen the Eiffel Tower and The Stature of Liberty but not gone up, so does that count lol.

If you've been on the Champ de Mars or on Liberty Island, I say that counts.

You forgot to add the national wonders that are real places! Forbidden Palace, Oxford University, Moai Statues, etc.

You forgot to add the national wonders that are real places! Forbidden Palace, Oxford University, Moai Statues, etc.
I added those 3 myself, and Red Cross (which I've been to..it is HQ'd here in DC) there is only one more poll option available. I did not add HE or NE as I believe those would be considered "general". If you think of something missed that is applicable I will add it.

My Mom has seen the Maois, but I'll not count that :)

Last edited:
Aha...I added Globe Theatre (and I have been there)_ ..but that is the last one I can add to the poll. We still have Mt. Rushmore, Hermitage, Wall Street (been there), and West Point, which are all real places. However, not enough poll slots.

HE, NE, IW, NP and, not to forget, Palace are all generalized NWs.

Should there be a separate poll for the National Wonders? Especially given that we're out of poll slots.

I've been to 5-7 of the Global Wonders. Depends on how you count "visit" for a couple. Does seeing the wonder count or do you have to actually step inside (if applicable)? Does "Wall Street" mean seeing Wall Street (the street itself), or the district, or the Charging Bull statue, which is actually on Broadway (and if you've seen it, have you seen Broadway?).

Three of those seven have been somewhat incidental. Hollywood? I was there on a work trip, cool to see (the sign and the tourist area), probably won't return. The Pentagon? I flew into Reagan National (they do offer tours). Statue of Liberty? Depends on whether you can see it or have to take the tour, but I happened to wind up in Battery Park, and there it was across the water; I don't feel like I missed out by not spending my day going on the tour.

Least worth visiting? Versailles. At least when I have been there, it was way too crowded to be enjoyable. Maybe it's good on a weekday in the off season, but if I go back to France, I'll go to a less-well-known castle somewhere else instead. I much preferred Hampton Court Palace in England, which wasn't quite as ostentatious, but was also not packed.

Least common one I've seen? Stonehenge. You can't get as close to it as you might think due to fencing, so you don't really get the full-scale experience, which was somewhat disappointing. On the other hand, you can get up close at Carhenge in Nebraska, which may not have been accumulating culture for thousands of years, but fully met my expectations when I visited. Both are rather far out of the way for most itineraries, but Stonehenge is at least close to Bath.

I'm not sure how many more I'll see. These days, I increasingly plan my travel around the outdoors, and even before that, had preferred to avoid the most-popular tourist areas for some time, due to crowds and/or lines.

Top Bottom