Which Civs are easy mode?

Deity, not sure what else to say, we know it is difficult in all the wrong ways because the AI needs help, but we can still beat it.
So bearing that in mind I play emperor because it is not such a slog.

Boy does this hit the nail on the head. King or lower is just too easy. Above king, you have to forgo stuff that makes the game interesting, like building wonders in synergistic ways and founding religions. And still the AI isn't really good enough to win at Emperor+ — just good enough to make winning less fun for the human player: more one-dimensional.

Last edited:
Boy does this hit the nail on the head. King or lower is just too easy. Above king, you have to forgo stuff that makes the game interesting, like building wonders in synergistic ways and founding religions. And still the AI isn't really good enough to win at Emperor+ — just good enough to make winning less fun for the human player: more one-dimensional.
Yup, but it’s still a good popular game I enjoy that has little competition in its space
As a friend of mines playtester son once wisely said, if you want to play a good AI game it has to be in real time. Turn based is not for people that want a challenge. He said that years ago, and many have said similar things since. Many still people complain, of the lack of challenge in a turn based game for some reason, like they think it’s fair.

Last edited:
And while we're at it, can we ask that the constant insults be turned off? It's been like this in all the civs and it's just tiresome.

Yup, but it’s still a good popular game I enjoy that has little competition in its space
As a friend of mines playtester son once wisely said, if you want to play a good AI game it has to be in real time. Turn based is not for people that want a challenge. He said that years ago, and many have said similar things since,Mandy still people complain.
This is why I stopped logging on, the turn based system. I always let the AI or the other player go first and its kind of complicated when people wait for the whole clock to run out just because they want to move to a tile first like a goodie hut or something worth it.

As a friend of mines playtester son once wisely said, if you want to play a good AI game it has to be in real time. Turn based is not for people that want a challenge. He said that years ago, and many have said similar things since. Many still people complain, of the lack of challenge in a turn based game for some reason, like they think it’s fair.
but RTS are completely different type of games.

And turn based games can be challenging, you need to use rules easier for an AI and/or asymmetrical gameplay.

People are unfair when they want challenge, complex rules, symmetrical gameplay, low turn time and a (relatively) cheap game (including hardware cost)

For example when they compare civ to chess to stay in turn based games.

but RTS are completely different type of games
I agree 99% with everything you said
The only similarity chess and Civ have is they are turned based, otherwis ethey are completely different games.
However, in chess there is a time limit and speed chess, and many a grand master has died playing speed chess which is moving closer to RTS
The person I mention was a champion Command and Conquer player in the early days so yes, he was RTS biased as well.
I would hope all 3 of us agree on the fact that Civ is not designed for that 'ultimate challenge' and the complainers either do not get this or are being overly truculent in approach. That to me is the message I am trying to get across. And that this forum is full of intelligent people who just get frustrated with that dogmatic angle.
I get that IV was much closer to their goal than IV but one iteration of the game will always be so, it does not mean the game designers should make their game just go down that narrow alley.

the "good" vs "fun" AI delicate balance, you can't please everyone.

speaking of chess, shouldn't "speed civ" be possible by setting a MP game with one human player and a timer ?

The AI not being able to do basic functions of the game is 110% a legitimate complaint.

Moderator Action: Yes, it is a legitimatecomplaint. However, the topic does not need to hijack multiple threads and be a constant drumbeat of our forums, especially when presented in a negative way with accusations against the developers that are not founded in fact. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Played a couple of games with Menelik and after the slow start things started to turn into Easy Mode.
Around turn 150 I was in a pillaging dream.
Germany, Inca and Nubia had built all sorts of districts, wonders and had massive improved tiles.
Wish my neighbors did that every game.
I have to admit that was kind of fun for a change.

After 150 turns, you should be in easy mode with most civs, Mendelian is about insane faith, you can build a huge army with that a lot earlier.
This game has a lot of features that are civ specific, people will say an option is useless, but use it with the right civ….

After 150 turns, you should be in easy mode with most civs, Mendelian is about insane faith, you can build a huge army with that a lot earlier.
This game has a lot of features that are civ specific, people will say an option is useless, but use it with the right civ….

There is a pretty large mix of civs. Some of them are kinda generalists like Germany or Rome, but some of them definitly are geared towards a certain direction.

There is going to be a civ for just about any playstyle

I believe that you and other players can do it much earlier and faster but for me I still can't get things rolling till much later in the game. I have a problem not being able to focus entirely on one Victory Type. I also have a major problem of not being able to run Two Separate Armies in opposite directions. I have many other problems as well that hold back my finish time. For instance... chops, I still do not understand the optimal time of when and what to chop. And all overflow's, I fail to grasp the concept of overflows with chopping and the tech/culture trees. I still struggle with Golden Ages and enough Faith Generation in most games. But when I get into the game I really do not care... I'm just playing.

And if I do get things to break perfect and get things rolling very early, as you suggested, I usually have little to pillage. There is a complete difference in what my ability is and what is possible to do in this game. My ability is nowhere near yours or other strong players. @DanQuayle be finishing Standard Domination Games by turn 90! I ain't never gonna be able to do that no matter how hard I try :)

Last edited:
Lately I'm finding the Terra map to be easy mode in general. Keep the "first envoy becomes two" card plugged in when you send over your boats and ride the suzerain train to victory.

This is my current game.
Spain came over and camped two warriors on my doorstep from the get-go.
So of course they DoWed me.
My Build Order was Slinger Slinger Warrior Warrior Archer Archer.
So I march over and take a city.
Now the Barbs are all over me with multiple camps.
I suppose, to be fair, the barbs are ravaging Spain as well, from what I can see.
I don't understand how you guys get out of this so fast and start steam rolling but I know that you do.
In this game, I already cleared a barb camp and lost one warrior to Spain.
Perhaps I shouldn't march over and take the city.
Maybe its better to stay near the capital and kill the Spanish Army.
Peace Out and Expand while clearing barbs.
Not like I can actually hold this city anyway and it only had a quarry tile to pillage for +31 Faith.
Not like all that desert and tundra is so great to expand into lol.

T40.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that you and other players can do it much earlier and faster but for me I still can't get things rolling till much later in the game. I have a problem not being able to focus entirely on one Victory Type. I also have a major problem of not being able to run Two Separate Armies in opposite directions. I have many other problems as well that hold back my finish time. For instance... chops, I still do not understand the optimal time of when and what to chop. And all overflow's, I fail to grasp the concept of overflows with chopping and the tech/culture trees. I still struggle with Golden Ages and enough Faith Generation in most games. But when I get into the game I really do not care... I'm just playing.

And if I do get things to break perfect and get things rolling very early, as you suggested, I usually have little to pillage. There is a complete difference in what my ability is and what is possible to do in this game. My ability is nowhere near yours or other strong players. @DanQuayle be finishing Standard Domination Games by turn 90! I ain't never gonna be able to do that no matter how hard I try :)

I mean as long as you are having fun, I wouldn’t worry too much

I mean as long as you are having fun, I wouldn’t worry too much

Not worried worried about it. Just discussing it. I'm certain people play different settings and game modes. It completely changes the game. Most people roll a start with massive desert and tundra with low production and they are going to reroll that start. I play them out but it makes the game more difficult. Many players play Deity Small Highlands Map and they think that's the standard game. It isn't. When you play the Lower Tier Civs on All Standard Settings, No Game Modes and play the worst starts its a completely different game compared to what Speed Runs are posted or YouTube highlights. Even on level 2 disasters, with some low production start, you could run into massive flooding around your starting area. Mix in two angry neighbors, barbs and massive desert/tundra for expansion and its going to slow things down. It gets even more fun when you play those starts and have no Horses or Iron.

Last edited:
It completely changes the game
I always play standard size, not small and never Pangea. Maybe that’s a difference, especially the small.
Seville is an excellent city to keep.
Playing on deity, the barb camps are a killer because they are spawning a unit a turn, and a lot of units. Once a barb camp is triggered it is an ugly business, two or three make it just wreck your game when you had a good chance of taking Spain. You are doing the right thing, at least it looks that way, perhaps it is the way you fight? For example the archers on the left should now take 1 step backwards each not firing and the next turn take out one barb, the other will damage an archer but not kill it and will be damaged in return enough so you can kill that, The city on the right looks just fine… but more barbs come and when barb archers come it is just yuck.
I rarely get this situation (the camping, sure) so maybe it is my settings, maybe it is because I am paranoid about barb scouts.
I often do not worry about faith, I feel it makes it too easy. Playing without religion is my preference initially, later I will pillage faith and get lots of builders that way but initially, nah.
Population early is useful and chopping food early can speed your game up but most chopping you do want to wait for although there are plenty of exceptions like chopping in an extra horseman, if you are going to play with an army deck, you really should go all-in.
If you cannot play with two armies, I am not sure what to say, is that a mental block or a money issue?

Last edited:
Top Bottom