Which is the best civ?

My favorites are Persia, Egypt, Greece, Rome, and Iroquois in no particular order.

But just like "best class" in Diablo II... there is no right answer, only opinions.

Well some Diablo classes just plain suck, like Necromancer for example. Got nerfed to nothing.

I prefer the vikings when playing on a world with lots of water. Their amphibious attack really helps out early in the game when you are racing to expand. And it never hurts to be a Militaristic and Expansionist civilization.

I have not played PTW yet, but my favorite Civs are:

For Militaristic Victory Types: China: They make it real easy to destroy enemies real early in the game, the militaristic - industrious abilites really work fine together, since you can build roads to your enemies really quick and develop your infrastructure in half the time other civs can. The biggest empires I have ever obtained I have obtained with the Chinese.
Their unique unit is one of my favorites, with the extra movement points. Well managed riders can quickly diminish your opponets defenses and take down alot of cities.

For Histographical Wins: Rome: Commercial and Militaristic, The wealthiest empires I have created, I have created with Rome,
you need to know that in order to be succesful with Rome you need to go on the offensive from the 1st turn of the game, otherwise you lose the benefits of the roman unique unit, the legion, its a well rounded unit, I just create large numbers of legions and launch wave attacks against the AI.

I've only started plying Civilization when Play the World came out.. so my favourite is the Ottomans. They're superb! the Golden Age couldn't come at a better time (through UU attack)...

Their UU (Sipahi) is amazing! it erases the gap you have between Calvary jumping on to Marines and Tanks because of its 8.3.3 ability.. i conquered 2 civilizations with Sipahi in 2 consecutive wars.. brought in 15 of them and lost only 1 unit throughout the 300 years span of war..

Evethough Ottomans are scientific and industrious and great leaders are hard to come by, their 2 characteristics more than makes up for it.. by the Industrial Age you can be so far ahead in tech and gold (and territory if you like to go to war like me) it's almost too easy to win with any victory of your choice..

I've always played Civ3 as the Americans. Partly because I'm American in real life, & partly because the Americans know Masonry & Pottery from the start, & have a scout from the start so they can get a head start on learning the layout of the world.

China is great for being able to build all the long-lasting wonders by building only the Pyramids (industrious) in Ancient Times and next building the Sun Tzu Art of War (militaristic).

By this time, you have either started a GA with the wonders or with the Riders. I personally start my GA with the wonders before my Riders are available because it's easy to make leaders with militaristic civs and use them to hurry a wonder.

Certain Civs, like the Americans, are better at doing stuff (like taking over the world) during the late game, as is germany. Persia, Rome, Egyptians, Iroqois and Aztecs are better at taking the world in the Ancient age. China, Russia, and Japan are better in Middle ages, it's mostly focused around your UU, and the civ-traits. Like France and England aren't the best to take over the world with, because their units are not main attack units (defender and naval ship), but France is great for getting UN and Space Race. Since they are both Industrious and Commercial, they make TONS of cash, which means they are a great banker civ (give loans to people, sell techs, lux, and resources for gpt. This way, they can get ahead in science a lot.

Aztecs and Egyptians would be good for Cultural Victory. Egyptians are religous (so they can build temples and stuff quick), and industrious (which can help them get tons of shields), and Aztecs are religous (also) and militaristic (produce units->get leaders->hurry wonders), but Aztecs require you to be a warmonger to gain the culture. So, if you want to win a different way then conquering, but still want to fight, Aztecs are good for the Culture victory.

I always play random civs for me and AI.

Top Bottom