Why am I the warmonger?

Markus5

Code Monkey
I finished a game. According to the stats, I never declared any wars. I was the target of 144 war declarations. Yet, throughout the game, I was always declared a warmonger. When I was declared upon, I was always the warmonger. When I was doing nothing warlike, I was denounced as a warmonger. This seems odd. Is the AI coded this poorly? Am I missing something fundamental?

The AI is pretty sensitive, but if you didnt declare wars then it seems you must have razed or captured (and kept, without having them be ceded to you in peace deals?) cities.

LMAO... 144 War dec's...:lol:. Let me guess though you kept the cities that you took tho amirite :).....

Seriously. You accumulate warmonger penalties when occupy other cities as well, regardless of who declared on who.... still , must of been a lot of cities tho, it takes a little while to snowball that extreme. My current game i am playing as a Warmonger and despite forcibly removing 3 Civ's from the game (Standard) i am yet to be labelled as a Warmonger.( 1 Ancient war, 2 Classical...both Formal)... 144 War Dec's...:eek:

I did raze a few cities. Perhaps 2 or 3. You know, teach them not to poke the bear. Never occupied any city.
I think the target-of-declaration count also includes City States that get dragged in.
There were 5 times, IIRC, that 2 or more civs declared. It was always a team. India and Germany. Persia and China. England and Brazil. Sometimes a pile-on.
Never any danger. Island map. But, it kept me on my toes.

Correction. It's not 144. Its 44. Still...

I did raze a few cities. Perhaps 2 or 3. You know, teach them not to poke the bear.

And there is a the crux of the problem

1. Razing cities is a killer, much worse than taking them
2. You cannot teach them, they are an AI... it in fact does the opposite and makes them declare you a warmonger.

It's hard not to anthropomorphize the AI, sometimes.
It would be cool to have a real learning system and train the AI. All the games everyone in the world has played would be more training. The more we play, the better the AI gets. One can dream.

It's hard not to anthropomorphize the AI, sometimes.
It would be cool to have a real learning system and train the AI. All the games everyone in the world has played would be more training. The more we play, the better the AI gets. One can dream.

They are in no danger of creating Skynet that's for sure.

I'd like to see the dev's tone down the war monger penalties. Have the AI build lots of contiguous cities and not send settlers 30 tiles from their lands to settle a junk city on top of me that I'll want to raze. And have them actually listen when you say don't convert because it's destruction for them otherwise. Yeah in my games the AI just love me. If I don't see 9 red sad faces I'm doing something wrong.

I've noticed that Civ VI right now is a lot like Civ V was on release: cliques may form early on, but by about 100 turns in everybody hates everybody else and it never recovers.

In my current game (huge map, 12 civs, Immortal level), I am considered a warmonger and I not have taken any cities or razed any cities, all I have done is stood my ground. I have declared one war only because Japan spammed me with so many apostles I couldn't move my units around my own territory. So I declared war that one solitary time to get some moving room. Since then, I am only out of war for a turn or two and then 2-4 civs declare war on me. The diplomacy is ridiculous.

burning cities to the ground is pretty atrocious. You killed millions of unarmed people. I think you earned the warmonger title personally. :queen:

But this really should depend on the age it happened. I'm sure the Mongols razed many a city in their time, not to mention all the other horrible things they did, and we don't hold it against them today. Bush never put them in the axis of evil.

Because the diplomacy system is broken. I'm getting to the point that if I don't uninstall the game I'll just go full on war from the beginning. I'm tired of the constant messages from AIs especially the agenda based ones which are often wrong for example - "A strong navy. What a beautiful sight" yet I haven't even studied any sea related tech let alone built a ship. I'm over the wall of apostles. I hate the religion system with a passion and just want to kill every religious unit I see now. An AI declares war on one of Suzerain city states yet I'm the warmonger if i was join in. I'm allied with AI yet they don't join in wars when i war decc'd ...

Oh and Gandhi's "Hidden" agenda - seriously loves nukes every game?

Want more visibility of a civs political position? One of the suggestions is Play as France. So play as France and half of the civs capitals are unable to be viewed even with an embassy...

I've given up trying to work this game out.

Oh trust me, people thought the Mongols as warmongers, to say the least. They might not be the best example, since they are warmonger incarnate. Alexander the great maybe, but it's more that these guys simply eliminated all threats, who's going to challenge them?

For most of time burning down cities was not well received, even though it happened a lot in history.

I'm alright with the warmonger penalties. Here's a little analogy..

If I hit you, and you fight back and win. Fine, yeah, I'll buy ya a drink and in a couple weeks we'll be laughing about how stupid it was for me to hit you.. I'm an ass, but we're alright. :beer:

If I hit you, and you fight back and win, then go burn my house down. I won't take that as a warning. Me & my mates will be knocking on your door before long. :trouble:

I got lost in how funny it was that your a warmonger 'just for razing cities'. But I agree the system doesn't work. A lot of these penalties do not decay, which is...really annoying.

And there is a the crux of the problem

1. Razing cities is a killer, much worse than taking them
2. You cannot teach them, they are an AI... it in fact does the opposite and makes them declare you a warmonger.

I always felt that was a short coming of the Civ series. If you're the one being aggressed upon then you should have severely reduced warmonger penalties whenever you go on the offensive.

In my current game (huge map, 12 civs, Immortal level), I am considered a warmonger and I not have taken any cities or razed any cities, all I have done is stood my ground. I have declared one war only because Japan spammed me with so many apostles I couldn't move my units around my own territory. So I declared war that one solitary time to get some moving room. Since then, I am only out of war for a turn or two and then 2-4 civs declare war on me. The diplomacy is ridiculous.

How late was your War Dec ?.... Renaissance Period, Industrial maybe. I can assume it was a surprise War as well. The later in Era's you get , the more extreme the Penalties for Surprise War Deccing. At this point you would only need one war dec. Once you get to this Era you need to use Casus Belli's when Declaring war. In this case you could have used the Religious War Casus belli, that allows you Declare War on a Civ that converts your Cities for half? Warmonger Penalty. Casus Belli start to get unlocked at Diplomatic Service... have a look here for more info
http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_overview.html#diplomacy

There is also a Formal War which you can use after Denouncing(and waiting 5 turns) or being denounced.

How late was your War Dec ?.... Renaissance Period, Industrial maybe. I can assume it was a surprise War as well. The later in Era's you get , the more extreme the Penalties for Surprise War Deccing. At this point you would only need one war dec. Once you get to this Era you need to use Casus Belli's when Declaring war. In this case you could have used the Religious War Casus belli, that allows you Declare War on a Civ that converts your Cities for half? Warmonger Penalty. Casus Belli start to get unlocked at Diplomatic Service... have a look here for more info
http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_overview.html#diplomacy

There is also a Formal War which you can use after Denouncing(and waiting 5 turns) or being denounced.

Thanks, I have played 20+ games so far so I know how the war declaration works. My point is every civ has started multiple wars against me and I have started one single war in which I didn't leave my borders, so to call me the warmonger is ludicrous and hypocritical. The diplomacy needs work.

Oh, I started on small peninsula, just for 4 cities with nice choke point and mountain range (relaxed start, no barbs for me). I started 5th settler to go for main continent and Teddy said that my idea of peace bla bla and declared joint war against me. No big deal. Warrior and archer hold them off. They wanted peace, I agreed. Then another joint war started, and another one, and again and again. I do not take any cities because they are far away from me, and there is big snow/tundra area between us - basically barbs playground and source of gold. And AI thinks that I am warmonger and I have no idea why and I do not care :)

Top Bottom