Why don't I have any trade routes?

Atmaboy

Chieftain
Hey everybody, sorry if this is the wrong forum. I'm currently on turn 155 in an marathon game and I still only have one trade route available. I'm playing on the big "Great Earth" map as a japan. I have 4 cities on the japanese islands, 3 have harbors and 2 have commercial districts. I have roads going from Kyoto to all 3 other cities. I thought having harbors and commercial district expanded your trade capacity. I have realtionships with several countries including korea right across the pond. So what gives? Is their a bug?

Do you have Rise and Fall installed ? There is a big change in the expansion concerning trade routes - you now need to build either a Lighthouse or a Market (depending on the district) to receive the extra trade route capacity.

Do you have Rise and Fall installed ? There is a big change in the expansion concerning trade routes - you now need to build either a Lighthouse or a Market (depending on the district) to receive the extra trade route capacity.
did not know this, i wondered why i had only 1 trader capacity after 150 turns in standard game!

So in vanilla it's still the districts that give trade routes etc?

In vanilla it should still be the old way, as per the patch notes.

Also this change in Rise and Fall is tied to the one of the City States - the bonus at each stage (1/3/6 envoys) is tied to a specific building in that district, instead of just the district itself like in Vanilla.

damn, did not know about the market/light house, That's a huge nerf! Thanks for the speedy reply guys.

Its quite a significant nerf unless you are a warmonger. The AI is now building more CH and harbours and so taking these can be easier than building them.
Quite annoying really if you want to play more peacefully.

The idea (kinda like Civ IV) is to up the investment required in cities before they start making you as much of a return... and I get that at least on the surface it doesn't affect war mongers as much. Yet if they want a trade route given to them on a silver platter, they're going to have to wait longer before taking city x. Or make the market/lighthouse themselves afterwards. So it does still make it harder for them to have as large an empire as they could before the change in my humble opinion.

Well, a lot of district's benefits were moved from the district to the first building (trade routes, but also CS bonuses), so you need more investment to get the benefit.
That only seems to encourage to invest in units instead and avoid at least a part of that investment. Let the AI build / buy it all with its bonuses, then get it all. You'll have as much as they did, and an army to defend it or get more.

The increase in Settler cost scaling some patches ago already strongly encouraged warfare.

Why do you need trade routes anyway?
upload_2018-2-21_14-6-55.png

Okay, I'll bite. How did you get 21 gold from that royal Navy dockyard? I may have to play England soon. I still have to for the achievement. Although the achievement means playing badly.

Okay, I'll bite. How did you get 21 gold from that royal Navy dockyard? I may have to play England soon. I still have to for the achievement. Although the achievement means playing badly.
I'm guessing the 2 gold from the dockyard when made on a foreign continent counts as an adjacency bonus for some reason, same as with the korea district. Then there's 3 gold from adjacent resources and 2 for adjacent city. So 7 total. He also has Reina with +100% harbor gold, and a policy card with +100% harbor gold.

Top Bottom