why impis may be the best UU

t3h_m013

Prince
the impis 2 movement has never seemed hugely useful to me until i foudn out to my cost that the movement becomes deadly in defence.

I was attacking zimbabwe which had ammongst other things an elite impi. My Keshik stacks just failed to kill him and isntead of retreating to be healed, they all died. i must have lost 15 keshiks that i shouldnt have lost to this one impi.

as of now i hate impis when im against them.

t3h_m013 said:
the impis 2 movement has never seemed hugely useful to me until i foudn out to my cost that the movement becomes deadly in defence.

I was attacking zimbabwe which had ammongst other things an elite impi. My Keshik stacks just failed to kill him and isntead of retreating to be healed, they all died. i must have lost 15 keshiks that i shouldnt have lost to this one impi.

as of now i hate impis when im against them.
I don't understand this. It would take 15 turns for one elite impi to destroy 15 keshiks. why didn't you move them or reinforce them? A couple or three spearmen or pikemen could have protected the keshiks. I, also; don't understand how the impi's 2 movement figured into the destruction of the 15 keshiks. Did you try to retreat and the impi follow?

Sparrow3 said:
I don't understand this. It would take 15 turns for one elite impi to destroy 15 keshiks. why didn't you move them or reinforce them? A couple or three spearmen or pikemen could have protected the keshiks. I, also; don't understand how the impi's 2 movement figured into the destruction of the 15 keshiks. Did you try to retreat and the impi follow?

I think he meant he attacked the Impi and they didn't retreat so was killed. This happened afew times for me if I remember right.

The moral is to stack your units high and make sure that if the first one doesn't succeed the next one can kill the injured defender.

The Impi, IMO, is something of a trick unit. It's a unit on foot, so thereby one can be easily fooled into thinking it's single movement. This is particularly apt to happen if you're attacking them instead of them attacking you, as their movement isn't shown as easily. Virtually no unit can achieve retreat from the Impi, simply because the Impi is just as fast as that unit. Impiis are pretty tricky too in that they're probably the earliest foot unit that has multiple moves.

Dogmeat said:
What do you mean VIRTUALLY no unit can run from the Impi. Noone can!

I'm not sure what the formula is, but the cavalry and MA units both outpace it, though they would be of another era. I'm not sure, but I think those with the highest maximum movement can retreat from all those with lower maximum movement, such that cavalry could retreat from Impi's but knights could not. Something else I'm not sure about, but I believe that a unit which has only one movement point left, despite it's having a superior maximum movement greater than it's defender, still cannot retreat. I'm also not sure if the greater movement points the attacker has, aklso increases the likelihood of a retreat, such that an at the moment of attack cavalry with 3mp, would stand a better chance of retreat than a 2mp knight, both against a 1mp defender. If the ganme was this complex about the formula, you would also likely see the defnder's remaining mp's factored into the retreat result, such that a knight attacking another knioght would never retreat if both were 2mp at the time, but that if the defender only had 1mp left when the attack occured the attacker could retreat. That does sound a bit complex for this game. Perhaps it's only the maximum amount of mp's beign considered. In either event you would think an MA or cavalry could retreat from an Impi. though I've never tried it.

Retreat is all-or-nothing. Movement one units can't retreat nor prevent retreat. Movement >1 units can retreat and prevent retreat. Cav and MA can't retreat from even a lowly Jaguar Warrior!

The retreat-preventing capacity of the Impi is indeed one of the real nice things about it.

It's also an excellent pillager, especially since it can retreat from swords and archers if it gets caught.

The Last Conformist said:
Retreat is all-or-nothing. Movement one units can't retreat nor prevent retreat. Movement >1 units can retreat and prevent retreat. Cav and MA can't retreat from even a lowly Jaguar Warrior!

The retreat-preventing capacity of the Impi is indeed one of the real nice things about it.

It's also an excellent pillager, especially since it can retreat from swords and archers if it gets caught.

No doubt the Impi is an interesting unit. They're probably a pretty good player morale buster too. How many people I wonder that they've broken, when people think the worst they have to deal with for a time will be rampant barbarians, only to face 20 or so Impi's on top of that!

Charles 22 said:
Impiis are pretty tricky too in that they're probably the earliest foot unit that has multiple moves.

Actually the jaguar warrior and the chasqui are the first, and I think, together with the Impi, they are the only "fast" foot units.

LouLong said:
Actually the jaguar warrior and the chasqui are the first, and I think, together with the Impi, they are the only "fast" foot units.

gaellic (sp) swordsman if your playing conquests. and some weird ones in the conquests.

Chaos_BF1942: yea, thats exact ly what i meant. and i shouldve stacked my units more but it wouldve taken about 10 turns to get a decent stack (zimbabwe was not on my home continent) and so i didn't. which was an error.

oh well. it has fallen, and their king was murdered. so now the zulus are no more. :goodjob:

Charles 22 said:
I'm not sure what the formula is, but the cavalry and MA units both outpace it

I'm completely sure how it works. Noone can run from a movement 2 unit, even with movement 3, still impossible.

I think it's statistically impossible for a Jag Warrior to get a MA down to 1 HP to begin with. :p

Ever heard of the "Impi Choke" in Mutliplayer? It's a common player tactic as the Zulus. Swarm your opponent with Impis, and pillage their terrain.

Top Bottom