Why Panzers?

icemanjsg

Warlord
How comes German leader get Panzers even though Nether of their leaders used them ?

As far as I can see all other UU are Units which one of the two Leaders Used other than the German Leaders who get a UU which well we know who used.

Then they make warlords which will have all the Allies leaders (other than Charles de Gaulle (crosses fingers)) (good or bad) Stalin was just as much a tyrant as the Axis Leaders . However ,they do not include any of the Axis leaders fair enough they were pretty nasty ppl and I remember someone saying that the game creators only wanted positive leaders then why Monty and especially Stalin who is disped by so many people. They don’t seem to have a consensus across the board.

the americans didn't have that US cavalry under washington or roosevelt. neither elizabeth or victoria ruled with redcoats. napoleon didn't employ musketeers. what's the problem? they're civ specific nothing to do with the leaders.

Actually changed my Mind Roos did have seals to a certain extent...

Spring 1943: The first group of volunteers selected from the Naval Construction Battalions (Seabees). They were organized into special teams called “Navy Combat Demolition Units” (NCDUs). The units reconnoitreed and cleared beach obstacles for troops going ashore during amphibious landings, and evolved into Combat Swimmer Reconnaissance Units, often known as frogmen. Some of these frogmen were recruited from breath-holding divers who dived for abalones on the California coast before the war. The NCDUs distinguished themselves during World War II in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters

And....what aboyut the other two???

joshuakira said:
the americans didn't have that US cavalry under washington or roosevelt. neither elizabeth or victoria ruled with redcoats. napoleon didn't employ musketeers. what's the problem? they're civ specific nothing to do with the leaders.
Moreover, neither QSH nor Mao had Chu-ko-nu.

Red coat is a term often used to refer to a soldier of the historical British Army. The uniform of most British soldiers during the late 17th, 18th and 19th centuries (other than artillery, rifles and some cavalry)

The Napoleonic Wars WAS around 1798 to 1802 Muskets become obsolete in the middle of the 19th century so Muskets were still featured by both sides. Napoleon formed corps and better structured his force (this is represented in the game by musketeers having 2 movement)

Okay and your right with the Chinese BUT! The repeating crossbow was used by every Chinese leader in-between those two Leader taken up at 20AD and Used extensively up until the Chinese-Japanese war of 1894-95.

I STAND BY MY WHIMSICAL STATEMENT!

victoria had redcoats.
louis XIV had musketeers (even louis XIII had musketeers, at least 3 of them...)
roosevelt had frogmen. although the predessors to seals, they were used differently, and involved alot less training, due to the fact that they were a mid-war development.
anyone have any idea what a quechua is? as far as i can tell, it was the state language of the inca.
the history of the indian fast worker is spotty at best.
i'm not really sure what the malinese skirmisher represents.
immortals was a term coined by herodotus a hundred years after cyrus's death and wasn't a type of persian troop per se, but i believe he was referring to the heavy infantry of our civ III friend, xerxes.
i believe cossacks refer to russian light cavalry who are of the cossack ethnic group, renouned in the old days for their horsemanship and military skill. i suppose that either of the russian leaders could have had them. if they're talking about the units that gained fame in fending off napoleon, then alexander I was the czar.

panzers are good for the german unit. i am unaware of any unit that fred or otto had that has UU potential.

edit: oh yeah, i forgot about cho-ku-nu. qin had crossbows, but the cho-ku-nu's predecessor, the lien nu came around before the time of qin's death. close but no cigar.

naterator said:
immortals was a term coined by herodotus a hundred years after cyrus's death and wasn't a type of persian troop per se, but i believe he was referring to the heavy infantry of our civ III friend, xerxes.
Just for the record, the Immortals were the Persians' elite troops. They were called "Immortals" by the Greeks because it was seemingly impossible to kill them all...when one fell, there was another right behind him.

Historically, they were infantry, and about as heavy as Persian infantry got (that being "not very"). The only reason I can see to make them a mounted unit in Civ4 is so that the Phalanx counters it as thoroughly, completely, and utterly as the real-life Phalanx countered real-life Persian infantry ;)

As to the original post...

If you want to complain about a UU, complain about the Praetorian. Praetorians were not battlefield units: as tough as they may have been, they were the Emporer's designated bodyguards, not some sort of elite shock troopers.

icemanjsg said:
How comes German leader get Panzers even though Nether of their leaders used them ?

As far as I can see all other UU are Units which one of the two Leaders Used other than the German Leaders who get a UU which well we know who used.

Then they make warlords which will have all the Allies leaders (other than Charles de Gaulle (crosses fingers)) (good or bad) Stalin was just as much a tyrant as the Axis Leaders . However ,they do not include any of the Axis leaders fair enough they were pretty nasty ppl and I remember someone saying that the game creators only wanted positive leaders then why Monty and especially Stalin who is disped by so many people. They don’t seem to have a consensus across the board.

Mussolini was a terrible leader for Italy and the end result of Hitler's reign was dissaster for Germany. Stalin brought the Soviet Union to the height of their power. Being evil people isn't the only reason to exclude Hitler.

When i think of a unique unit for Germany I can only come up with three things that are reasonably famous for that county, and that are intersting.

Savage axe waving beastmen defeating the Romans.
Teutonic knights from the Middleages.
Monster WW2 German tanks.

Nothing else springs to mind for the Germans, and neither Fredrick or Bismark had any of those three things, nor are there particually famous German leaders from the Ancient or Middleage times.

I guess the game designers feel the same way.

Too many people would p*ss and moan having Hitler in the game for Firaxis to be bothered to "match up" with the unique Panzer unit, anyway.

Louis XXIV said:
Mussolini was a terrible leader for Italy and the end result of Hitler's reign was dissaster for Germany. Stalin brought the Soviet Union to the height of their power. Being evil people isn't the only reason to exclude Hitler.

LouisXXIV we have already been into this and I still stand by that Hitler should be in the game. Anyway, if one was to use the tuetonic knight Barbarossa would be a fine leader choice. Also WHY is Charlemagne NOT in the game. He could go French and would be a much better leader than Louis XIV

Savage axe waving beastmen defeating the Romans.
Teutonic knights from the Middleages.
Monster WW2 German tanks.

Hessian mercenaries?

Damn good WWII airplanes?

icemanjsg said:
breech-loading cannons???

The breechloader dident come around till the American civil war and wernt the best as far as safty goes.(they tended to blow up) The breechloader wasent exactly unique to the Germans either. The Hessians i could see though.

CharmzOC said:
Also WHY is Charlemagne NOT in the game. He could go French and would be a much better leader than Louis XIV

I'd like to see Charlemagne in the game too. I think he would be perfect for a Spiritual/Imperialistic leader.
But if he was a french leader in the game the germans would whine and if he was a german leader the french would complain...

Urm - I don't think you're right...also...if they did follow your principle then we'd have to have Adolf Hitler in the game...I cannot see that happening somehow.

The UU is for the Civilization, not the Leader.

As for Charlemagne, yeah, it's too ambiguous to put him in the game. Ditto William I.

EDIT: Don't derail the thread talking about Hitler. There are plenty of Hitler threads out there, I'm sure you can find plenty looking back through the last few pages.

It's Panzers for the Germans because Civ 4 is a Saturday-morning-cartoon-type game. Otherwise Spain would have pikemen as its UU and not conquistadores and the USA would have stealth and not seals, etc. Germany would have either the storm troop (infiltration tactics implemented in 1918) or the 88 anti-tank gun which would include the long 75 as Germany was the first to have such effective weapons and use them properly in combined arms techniques.

CF4L said:
The breechloader dident come around till the American civil war and wernt the best as far as safty goes.(they tended to blow up) The breechloader wasent exactly unique to the Germans either. The Hessians i could see though.

Interestingly, the British invented a breach loading Rifle during the American revolution but didn't want to use it for fear it would fall into the hands of the Americans.

Top Bottom