1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why won't they Capitulate? and other questions...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Veqryn, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Veqryn

Veqryn Chieftain

Ok, just bought Civ4 and BTS, installed and updated it, and after getting bored of regular Civ, decided to try the mods.
    So far, Rhye's is the coolest mod I've ever played in any game ever, thank you so much!

I am playing as Rome, and the first time through got my ass handed to me by the new system. Couldn't expand fast enough for the Historical Victory, didn't even build a single needed building besides Barracks's, and lost all but my 3 italian peninsula cities to barbarians. Second time through, tried on the easier difficulty, and was able to get all but the city in England and the second city in Africa on time, built 5 barracks, 2 aqueducts and ampitheaters in time, and was able to hand the barbarians. 3rd time is the charm, was able to do it all with 5 of my buildings and the last city all getting done on the exact turn before i would have lost. YAY! :goodjob:

First Question:

Now that I won my historical victory, I'm keeping playing. Turkey has spawned, and despite having a massive culture in Constantinople, Sogut seems to have spread it's culture all the way past my city center. This is unacceptable... so this means war! Due to a strong Persia, strong Arabia, and strong Russia, Turkey only has 2 cities. I captured Sogut, and I have reduced their last city to just one defender left. But they will not capitulate, and essentially tell me to go screw myself. Is it because they have a different religion than me?
    They have only 1 city left, with only 1 defender in it, and I have an army of 20 units siting outside of it. Why won't they capitulate? :confused:

Second question:
    Will Razing cities cause bad stability?
    I want to attack Ethiopia and make them a vassal, but I can't risk the expansion by owning the cities. So I plan to just raze cities and kill his units until he capitulates (unless he won't, see question above..). If I raze cities, will this cause instability for me? If i capture the cities, and then give them away, will this cause instability for me? :confused:

Third question:
    I have an awesome economy, producing about 700 gold per turn if I have my bars set to zero percent, and I can set them to about 90% otherwise. I also have really good production, able to build many of the wonders in a couple of my cities. How the hell am I supposed to tell when my production is higher than my GNP? Where do I see these numbers? I keep getting great depressions and having to reload... :mad:

Thank you,
    Veqryn

2. kbk

kbk Chieftain

1) Capitulation depends on a number of variables, including relative strength, relative success/failure in the war, and how many vassals you already have. Getting vassals when you already have one is harder. It gets successively harder the more you have. There is also a hard cap on vassals at 4 or 5.

2) Yes. Razing cities reduces your foreign stability. However, if you already have too many cities, you may be better off razing them than getting new ones. It also depends on how productive that city will be (productive cities can boost your economic stability, if their production grows steadily, or as a whole they result in your empire growing steadily, e.g., through constant, but slow Roman Empire style conquest.).

3) I don't think its totaled anywhere handy. As far getting great depressions, if your stability is high enough, just deal with it. It has no effect beyond stability. If not, find something better than free market. I'm pretty sure part of the RNG is saved relating to great depressions, so I'm not sure if reloading will save you much hassle.

3. evran

evran Chieftain

Depending on how long the war will last, like in your plan for Ethiopia. Capture his cities, make him capitulate, then liberate his cities back to him. This greatly raises expansion I think, I do this in most wars with cities I don't plan to keep, I ususally end up with about plus 20 or plus 30. I guess it depends on how fast you do it and the amount of cities.

4. Deego3

Deego3 Chieftain

Yes, by taking over Ethiopia's citys and then giving them back to them, when the war is over, you will increase the stability of both you and your new vassel.