Wonder-triggered GA

undertoad

Warlord
Hiya

I was wondering how you trigger a GA by building a Wonder. This has never ever happened to me. I've always played as Greeks so far (Commercial + Scientific), and always get the usual Ancient-Age GA triggered by someone not very clever looking at one of my Hoplites in a funny way.

But I've played all kinds of games, from Regent (now) down to Chieftain-stomp-the-AI-and-build-every-Wonder. And I've never had another GA.

Do you have to match both of your traits to the Wonder? And does the right Wonder only "possibly" give you a GA?

I'm wondering if anyone has produced a table of the Wonders and the traits associated with them - it's the kind of really useful thing this site is full of, but I can't track it down if it exists.

thanks!

Each time you build a wonder, the game checks whether the wonders you have are matching your traits.
Both traits must be represented. So, playing as the Greeks, you could build the Colossus (Commercial, Seafaring, Expansionist) and the Library (Scientific) to claim your Golden Age.
If you capture wonders that match your traits, your Golden Age doesn't start immediately, but if you build any wonder after that your Golden Age will start, because then the game makes this check.
Sometimes one wonder can match both traits, and that one wonder will then do the trick.

To look up which wonders are what, you can go to the tech tree, right-click on the tech that gives the wonder, then left-click on the wonder, and all your info is there.
Especially do this 100 times for Copernicus, and rub your eyes, because it is not a scientific wonder, but an expansionist one. sorry, Greeks.

If you didn't know: You can't have more than one GA in one game.

Ahh...... that's why! I always play Greeks, and the Hoplite gives me a GA just like that.

Anyway, I thought I'd pull together all the info on Wonders' GA traits, and ended up pulling together more information. It's in an Excel spreadsheet, on this thread.

cheers!

This is why I dislike civs with an ancient age defensive UU, like Greece or Sumeria. Paradoxically, to play these civs well you need to NOT have these strong defenders in your border towns - until you want your GA.

Top Bottom