Worst Civ in the Game??

^ Any explanation? I think Indonesia rocks on small contents or archipelago. Three extra x2 luxes? Yes please! The Kris warriors are a bunch of fun, and the strongest melee upgrades available.

I'm going to assume the Candi with unique happiness works really well if you want tourists, but I haven't played them so I wouldn't really know

I haven't played for more than a month, but Germany can suck on the one brute I got out of about 7-10 camps!:mad:
P.S>
Russia sucks without any strategic resources
Britian on land
Poland without horses

Britian on land
Poland without horses

Say what?

England on land still has longbowmen (amazing with 3 range) and an extra spy.

Poland would still be one of the best Civs in the game even if the Winged Hussar and Ducal Stable didn't exist. Those are so minor compared to 7 free Social Policies.

Denmark seems to be lacking in terms of raw power, especially if your thinking only in terms of a domination victory. But he is so effective at just harassing and slowing your opponents down, which makes him so much fun in multiplayer and probably underwhelming against the computer. As Denmark I like to go for anything but domination but like to have constant pressure on anyone who may be close to beating me. Like an unexpected wave of barbarians early, you can punish a greedy player and leave his civ in complete ruins. Even with good defenses, Denmark's ability should find opportunities to destroy GP improvements and such. His ability is both fun and powerful throughout the whole game. Again this is only if your not going for domination, which I think is Denmark's weakest victory path.

Granted also its hard to really appreciate this against the computer imo, also its somewhat dependent on the terrain as it would require plenty of coast.

Say what?

England on land still has longbowmen (amazing with 3 range) and an extra spy.

Poland would still be one of the best Civs in the game even if the Winged Hussar and Ducal Stable didn't exist. Those are so minor compared to 7 free Social Policies.

I have to agree that just longbowman and an extra spy is very underwhelming if that's all the have. England really needs those seas.

To add to the conversation, My personal two least favorite are Carthage and Austria. Carthage gets a free harbor for their coastal cities which could be good for long distance settlements but eh I don't think I'm ever pressed to make harbors, and I have never really used her mountainwalk ability effectively. Now maybe in a 4 corners map separated by mountains it could be extremely good but as a continent's player I just don't see that many relevant mountain ranges where I need it. As for Austria buying city states could also be good in some situations but is generally not what I want to be doing. The coffee house seems like a minor upgrade.

I have to agree that just longbowman and an extra spy is very underwhelming if that's all the have. England really needs those seas.

The question is not whether it's underwhelming, it's whether it's the worse civ in the game. In that regard...

Denmark seems to be lacking in terms of raw power...also its somewhat dependent on the terrain as it would require plenty of coast.

I rest my case that Denmark is worse.

P.S. I don't think you understand how powerful 3 range crossbowmen right out the gate are in terms of conquering during Med/Ren eras.

P.P.S. And if we're talking peaceful play, then an extra spy for tech stealing/city state influence (and available as soon as anyone enters the Ren era so basically doubling the tech stealing rate at the time) definitely outweighs many civilizations that realistically only have warmongering bonuses (and possibly very minor peaceful bonuses).

The question is not whether it's underwhelming, it's whether it's the worse civ in the game. In that regard...

I rest my case that Denmark is worse.

P.S. I don't think you understand how powerful 3 range crossbowmen right out the gate are in terms of conquering during Med/Ren eras.

P.P.S. And if we're talking peaceful play, then an extra spy for tech stealing/city state influence (and available as soon as anyone enters the Ren era so basically doubling the tech stealing rate at the time) definitely outweighs many civilizations that realistically only have warmongering bonuses (and possibly very minor peaceful bonuses).

Sorry about that my post was more in response to a post saying that England was still among the best even without seas. Your post did extend upon that but not directly agreed with it. Really I shouldn't have quoted you rather than the other post.

Also, I agreed Denmark is a much worse civ than England overall, and never proposed Denmark was better. I just wanted to add how I like to play Denmark and how they can be really powerful through the whole game. An argument can still be made that they are the worse civ, I just wanted to give my two cents. Sorry for any confusion.

Iroquois for me. I don't think I've ever completed a game with them. It's hard to parlay their bonuses into anything coherent other than an early swordsman spam, which is hardly the most effective way to warmonger. So they start of lackluster, and get progressively worse over time. Virtually every other civ I can find at least something to do with them.

I can be pretty picky about the civs that I want to play as :X

1. Venice
Being able to expand and build at will is too important to me, and I prefer having city states as trading partners so that I don't have to necessarily be nice to the other civs.

2. Byzantine
Dromons are great, but even if I beeline for Pottery and Shrine asap I can still get beaten out to desired pantheons and beliefs easily. Unless I've settled a faith natural wonder or befriended a religious CS for awhile, I probably will get a very late religion that sucks. Yay for an extra thing that I don't really care for!

3. Denmark
I really want to like using Berserkers and the disembarking boost. If I want to field a large number of 3-move melee units in mid game, I should be using Shaka with Buffalo Impis instead. That I feel gets better results and is more fun to play around with.

4. Indonesia
Whee a melee unit that can randomly curse itself, that's swell. That's really it though, Indonesia is a fun civ to have as AI and isn't so bad to me when I play as them.

5. Austria
Same as Venice, I prefer having CSes as trading partners over other civs. I could also play Austria without buying any city states but neither Hussar nor Kaffeehaus is compelling enough to me for that.

Outside of those particular nits it's really just the starting area which makes me more likely to reroll than anything else.

Hey, guys, since you are discussing the worst Civ in the game, I have update Denmark to be a rather potent civ: it's in my signature.

/shamelessselfpromoting.

Your comment made me laugh, then I realized that Spain is prolly my least favority civ. I just really dislike the RNG aspect.

its guaranteed there will be some NWs, from which you'll receive double happiness at least. 5 wonders on standard map is 10 (5 excess) happiness and 500 gold min.

Top Bottom