Would like balancing help for custom faction

Only changes I made to him were some typo and formatting fixing in his datalink entry, so if you don't mind not having those yeah, it's still relevant.

Oh, and last request - Let me know if the second base autoname for Terrans is "Psych Institute" or something else, and if the second base autoname for the Victorians is "New Buckingham" or something else. I'm not sure if it's just my copy of the game or if those .txts are messed up in some manner, as they tend to go straight to "Base 22" and "Teraton" in my tests.

Are you aware how Alpha Centauri rolls base names? The first entry is always the first base. Land bases are then picked at random from the list. Sea bases are built sequentially.

(Of course I will check, just yeah, just in case you didn't know)

Was not aware that land bases were supposed to be random - but even then they definitely don't seem random to me if they pull the same choice for the second land base every time.

Sure I'm doing images also, this time of an agro citizen. Then I'll probably edit some XCOM so I have nothing to do this weekend other than playtest three different things. :D

I am looking forward to seeing the results of the flc hambino. :) And the Asylum city looking cool. Are you going for a Germany theme? Seems like it will be nice.

I might give it a go just for fun if I have time soon, not that my input will be as useful [especially if I don't tear myself away from my mod alphax]. Trying to fit it in with the first factions, that means it can be easily tested at least.

Hey hambino, had a go of Terrans today. I won by year 2314 via economic victory, playing on Librarian. By using projects such as The Virtual World, Human Genome Project and so on, I was able to keep every single base under permanent Golden Age (which is the same as +1 ECONOMY and +2 GROWTH if I remember rightly). I also chose Democratic and Planned, so combined with the Creches I had +8 GROWTH -- population boom time baby! One can select Democratic from the start of the game, which is probably too much of an advantage (recommend giving them a lower level tech instead). I found the team to be very strong for a developmental game. While probably not able to win a quick kill, the growth and happiness, if exploited, was huge. Used Democratic/Planned/Free Market for most of the game. I was leading ahead in tech as well -- an advance every 4 years.

Striker - Your input would be very valuable, too, if just to add to the sample size, lol

Kilkakon - Ah, crap. I see that -5% interest/-ECON didn't do a whole lot against him, huh? It's probably best if I just leave him at Psych. And yeah, I have a ton of refs of German Architecture to look at when I sit down to look at the cities. I've got the standard Reichstag and Victory Arch, but I've also got some images of more contemporary buildings, as well as a concept piece for an illuminated tower - already outlined in the .pcx.

After giving myself some time holding off from a knee-jerk reaction to remove that starting tech, I started thinking about my short stint with the Soul Calibur competitive field. There, balance testing was performed by the best players possible; perhaps we need to be doing faction testing on the hardest difficulty level possible if we're to test the balance of a faction against AIs.

On a hunch, I gave it a shot myself - while I may be a horrid transcend-level player, even I could tell that Neumann gets rocked if he doesn't start isolated or, if he has to be near other players, if he doesn't start on a piece of land with a few mineral special resources. That's just what I pulled from the two test games I did. Try him again on Transcend and see what happens, when you get the chance of course, and see what you pull from it.

Well my gf and I are 50+ turns into a co-op game to get used to your factions (on my "faster game" mod btw), she being the Terrans and I, Big Bro. We're both trying out ICS (I've messed with it a few times now), and while I would normally be rather ahead of her, she was ahead of me, using a pretty close equivalent to Democratic/Planned + the automatic Creches to pop boom. She also only had about 5 ground formers by then, and maybe a couple sea. We've each warred a bit here and there early on, both on our own continents with 2 dwarf computers each. Not the best of circumstances, but we're waaay beyond winning at this point, being on Librarian, having most of lv4 tech, just got air power and tree farm, and the faction we haven't mapped at all is Deidre.

So basically, I had a hard time getting research going, with the 150 tech cost, but now I'm rivaling her 4-5 turn techs. I do enjoy making trance 1-1-1's with bonus 2x police. She does have some drone (police) difficulties and has been implementing Virtual World. Remember your Terran stats are basically cancelled out by your high talent # and your creches, leaving you with mostly a +2 growth. Also, a new hitler? lol > >. I would consider giving them -1 growth to counteract the easy popboom. To counteract the -5 interest (there wasn't any -econ, right?), she simply spent her money often on partial-hurrying things (as in fully hurrying but letting the minerals do some of the work).

Big Bro feels like a bit of a struggle, and I don't feel like sharetech/techshare is going to do a thing against AI, at least. I made sure to go for Planetary Energy Grid to give myself more focus to money at least. The +1 Ind was kinda nice, and the +1 probe has had little use to me against AI as well, especially since the one time I was going to probe my subservient UofP pact bro for a tech I was "milking," he gave it to me since I had given him like 3 techs before to direct his research. As a side note, he's even built roads between my bases lol =P.

As for your Transcend suggestion, I somehow doubt it'd make such a difference to the Arians. The Creches solve most problems plus giving +2 growth, starting with Democracy affects you mainly with its +2 growth, and forests are your friend. I can't say for sure unless I play an unmodded version, of course. In transcend, I suspect it's easy to die with many factions if you're not careful and you start near an aggressive faction. Random things happen, so make sure you aren't judging too quickly.

Top Bottom