Would trading away all my free horses get me different units from a city-state?

Barking Iguana

Chieftain
It's too late now, but if it would have worked, I probably should have done it.

The first couple of units I received were Composite Bowmen. Which is great. I'm China. I'll be able to upgrade them to Chu-Ko-Nu and then to Gatling Guns, which wil give me full-strength units that can fire twice per turn.

But then I got spammed with Horsemen. Two was really all I wanted of those, but now I have 5 knights, and the only one I build was originally a Chariot Archer when I needed to bulk up in a hurry.

So I'd like to know: are city-state unit bonuses determined by your strategic resources?

What a militaristic city state gives you is determined by what they know. If you go to their page and move your cursor over "militaristic" (i believe that is correct place) it will tell you what they will give you. However if you have not yet researched the required tech for that unit I believe they give you the predecessor to that unit (if you have acquired the correct tech).

EDIT: My statement only applies to if you have ALLIED the CS. Not sure how it works for friends status.

That tooltip only tells you what unique unit (of a civ that is not in the game) the militaristic CS will give you once the tech for that UU is researched. It does not relate to CS gifts of non-unique units the rest of the time.

It's too late now, but if it would have worked, I probably should have done it.

The first couple of units I received were Composite Bowmen. Which is great. I'm China. I'll be able to upgrade them to Chu-Ko-Nu and then to Gatling Guns, which wil give me full-strength units that can fire twice per turn.

But then I got spammed with Horsemen. Two was really all I wanted of those, but now I have 5 knights, and the only one I build was originally a Chariot Archer when I needed to bulk up in a hurry.

So I'd like to know: are city-state unit bonuses determined by your strategic resources?

Yes city states will only give you horseman or swordsman if you have iron or horses. Little note= you can have no iron or horses in youre teritory but you get them from the militaristic city state then they will give you more horseman or swordsman. instead of pikeman and so on. let say you spend 1000 gold to become ally with belgrade you now get acces to 6 iron . As a result belgrade will mostly give you swordsman and longswordsman.

it olso look at the strongest military unit can produce bassicly look at the tech tree and see wich unit is strongest. So they can give you pikeman if you not have researched steal because pikeman is stronger then swordsman. As time progress they will give musketmen rifleman the unit with strongest strenght you can built

It olso gives unique units like keshiks if you arent mongolia for example each militaristic city state have a uniqe "thraith and give another unique unit for example belgrade can give keshiks while Almaty can give jannissaries.

these unique units depend on which civs are not in the game. so in my example there is no ottoman or mongol AI.

Yes, but not really determined so much as limited by. So if you do not want Horsemen or Knights or Lancers, then trade away your horses.

But as apocalypse, points out, horses you get from allied CS (or other trades) count. You can game this a bit though, just by having Horsemen in your build queue -- even if you never do spend hammers on them.

The other neat thing is that allied Militaristic CS will gift you their UU even if you do not have the required resource.

Top Bottom