Wrong Descriptions In Civ Games

Ptolemy

Chieftain
A too cold place right now!!!Denmark, Odense, Euro
In Call to Power 2 there is a wonder called The Egalitarian Act, which makes Slaves become free citizens, and in this Wonder Description it's claimed that it was the americans and Abraham Lincoln who made slaves free citizens. But this is wrong. It was Denmark there was the first nation to forbid slavery. And also in Civ2 Women's Suffrage is granted in Washington, but it wasn't the americans who were the first to grant women suffrage. It was New Zealand which were the first nation to grant women suffrage in 1869, even Russia granted women suffrage before the US. I just think that it's to weak that the americans claims that it was them who done this, totally weak.

[This message has been edited by Ptolemy (edited March 29, 2001).]

Don't know why this was transferred. It's not solely directed at Ctp.

As for the point you were making...you're probably right, but Americans have a habit of rewriting history in their favour.

------------------
Visit the Civilization Gaming Network & Forums

Well, we DO have all those nuclear weapons, who's really going to dispute us? The winners always get to write the history books. Cry about it all you want, New York is not New Amsterdam, New England is not a British protectorate, and the Soviet Union is a bad memory. We won, we get to write history. That's all folks.

But you're the lone superpower and you claim yourself to be the defenders of the truth why don't you then tell the truth?? I mean, what have you against that New Zealand was the first one to grant women suffrage? Does it really bug you so much that you change history??

------------------
Ptolemy: Greek general under Alexander the Great & Founder of a new egyptian kingdom after Alexander's death

youve gotta remember that most of the innovations in america are actually made my first or second generation immigrants.

And that most of the top (hands on) people in the major companies are immigrants while the very top echelon - who dont actually do anything are americans....

I really don't think we are re-writing history here.

I agree it was first Denmark who freed slaves. But do you really think the video would be as interesting if it had a famous Denmark leader? Come'on, we are talking about honest Abe here....it is worldwide knowledge. Not everybody is familiar with Denmark's history (not that it is good).

Lets try to be reasonable about this. :cry:

~Chris

Americans always think everyone knows their history so much... I really don't know much about Lincoln - But I also don't expect anyone to know anything about Golda Meir or about Ben Gurion. Same for wars - I know practicly nothing about your wars (except WWII) - I don't know where was the American revolution, who fought who in the civili war and what's Ho Chi Min (or something like that... Was it in Korea or Vietnam? I think it was in Vietnam but I'm not sure...) but I don't expect you to know what's operation moked or how far did the Egyptians get in the Yom Kipur war.
So let's stick to general history and try not to divert all history to one country

Fearlessleader2:

If you are happy to claim other people's achievments as your own- good for you- but don't expect evryone else to go along with your fantasy.

On the other hand you might consider the possibility of giving credit where it is due.

Totally agree G-Man. I don't expect everybody to know about american history. But it is rather unavoidable in hollywood, etc. Not that this is good...but the great majority of ctp buyers are americans and the film regarding the emancipation act doesn't even convey America was the first to free slaves...but it was the most notable (look, the issue is still being brought up today). So while I agree many other nations have brought vast contributions to the modern world, it is only normal for the company in Palo Alto to emphasize AMerican history, just like a software product out of Copenhagen, or Tel Aviv, or Cairns, would probably empahize theirs (and this is a good thing).

~Chris

Well said Sonorakitch.
I can see the first posting as a valid complaint, but I do not think that the programmers were trying to 'rewrite history' at all. They were doing their job in trying to make a game for people to enjoy. Some details aren't as important as the math computations in running all of the turns and such. It seems to me that America has quite a few people accusing Her of keeping them down and out. Painful for me to see the bitterness. next time I get the slaves free in one of my games I'll be sure to stand up and salute Denmark for you. feel better now?:eek:

Good discussion folks... of course, as with all things, computer games are subject to the ideology of their creators...

No suprise that the dominant culture in the world is reflected in Call to Power. 'Democracy' is a good example - don't all governments claim to be democratic? Surely 'Capitalism' would be more accurate.

Anyway, the main question for me is, 'What are those little circles in the box, next to the city name?' They seem to appear when some other civilisation has been trying to steal a technology, but I'm not sure (this is CTP2). Of course, this is off the subject... sorry....

even if they lie, it really doesnt matter...if you can read carefully(i am an american) the main idea for Civilization and CTP, etc. is to

REWRITE HISTORY!!!!

Top Bottom