[LP] Yongle vs. Unifier Qin: Who Is More Game Breaking?

blackbutterfly

Emperor
YouTubers @boesthius JumboPixel UrsaRyan and PotatoMcWhiskey have all posted vids of Yongle breaking Civ VI.
But nothing of Unifier Qin 😆

I am playing a zombies game as Yongle and no way does he "break the game" vs. Qin.

No way!

Thoughts? Experiences?

This is Unifier Qin on snowflake. Deity. Marathon. Dramatic Ages + Zombies + Clans. Dom. victory:
20230126144901_1.jpg

Play as Yongle with Secret Societies vs. Qin and then maybe he'd be game breaking. Of course, if you run Zombie Mode Unifier Qin will be very good.

So how does Secret Societies make Yongle game breaking? Pls explain.

(I haven't had time to watch any of those YouTubes BTW).
Just the absurd amounts of yields that you get from the various societies, coupled with the yields that you would get from him. Maybe not game breaking but better than Qin if you only played that game mode.

Just the absurd amounts of yields that you get from the various societies, coupled with the yields that you would get from him. Maybe not game breaking but better than Qin if you only played that game mode.
Yongle is probably a super potent combo with Voidsingers, but from my own game I can confirm that Yongle + Owls of Minerva is a pretty good combination thanks to the extra economic card and the trade bonus.

I am playing a zombies game as Yongle and no way does he "break the game" vs. Qin.
Thoughts? Experiences?
You've answered your own question already - Qin is game breaking, in a single mode most people don't play. That's the key difference, Yongle is great in any game, Qin is game breaking in a specific circumstance that most people won't encounter. That's why Yongle is better than Qin.

Yongle is probably a super potent combo with Voidsingers, but from my own game I can confirm that Yongle + Owls of Minerva is a pretty good combination thanks to the extra economic card and the trade bonus.
I feel like Wu Zetian was also made for that society with those late game espionage bonuses as well. :)

You've answered your own question already - Qin is game breaking, in a single mode most people don't play. That's the key difference, Yongle is great in any game, Qin is game breaking in a specific circumstance that most people won't encounter. That's why Yongle is better than Qin.
This. You find modes imbalanced? Well, what a surprise; the game wasn't balanced around modes.

This. You find modes imbalanced? Well, what a surprise; the game wasn't balanced around modes.
I would be utterly shocked to find out that the devs did any playtesting of the new leaders with any of the modes on. Maybe Secret Societies and Monopolies and Corporations since those seem to be the two most popular but even then, I doubt it. They've specifically stated in the past that they try and balance the game around the middle, ie. not the smallest map or the largest and usually continent style, so things are going to get weird or broken on occasion with outlier settings.

You've answered your own question already - Qin is game breaking, in a single mode most people don't play. That's the key difference, Yongle is great in any game, Qin is game breaking in a specific circumstance that most people won't encounter.
But most people play Barbarian Clans right?

Unifier Qin is game breaking in that mode as well.

Raid & convert (spawn).

Rinse, repeat (exploit) for gold and a massive army.

I would be utterly shocked to find out that the devs did any playtesting of the new leaders with any of the modes on. Maybe Secret Societies and Monopolies and Corporations since those seem to be the two most popular but even then, I doubt it.

And so far there is on average one game breaking leader for each pack.

Lincoln (unit printing exploit), Mbande (+Kandy and Reliquaries) and now Unifier Qin (or Yongle) 😆

Raid & convert (spawn).

Rinse, repeat (exploit) for gold and a massive army
You keep analysing it as if "game breaking" made sense in a vacuum.

Compared to what? His ability makes him stronger than many vanilla civs, but that's it.

I can't play right now but I usually do hotseat, so when I have time I'll set up a game with Yongle and Qin and see who comes on top. I'm not even convinced Qin is stronger than Wu Zetian.

Do they? As far as I can tell, more people play it than Dark Ages or Zombies but nowhere near as much societies or corporations. Not to mention the fact that if you do that enough the camp will turn into a city-state eventually. And, again, I seriously doubt most people play with modes on to begin with. I used societies for a while but I never tried the clans mode. And, going back to PMcW since he's the only Civ streamer I've ever watched, he doesn't always play with modes on and, even when he does, he doesn't always play with the same modes on. And, again, we are back to edge case scenarios that most players will never encounter. I don't care about leaders with broken abilities in situations I'll never encounter. I'm never playing with clans mode on, why should care about Qin then?

Do they? As far as I can tell, more people play it than Dark Ages or Zombies but nowhere near as much societies or corporations. Not to mention the fact that if you do that enough the camp will turn into a city-state eventually. And, again, I seriously doubt most people play with modes on to begin with. I used societies for a while but I never tried the clans mode. And, going back to PMcW since he's the only Civ streamer I've ever watched, he doesn't always play with modes on and, even when he does, he doesn't always play with the same modes on. And, again, we are back to edge case scenarios that most players will never encounter. I don't care about leaders with broken abilities in situations I'll never encounter. I'm never playing with clans mode on, why should care about Qin then?
Hmmm. There should be a poll.

Not to mention the fact that if you do that enough the camp will turn into a city-state eventually.

Not on TSL maps.
Or World Builder maps (like snowflake).

I can't play right now but I usually do hotseat, so when I have time I'll set up a game with Yongle and Qin and see who comes on top. I'm not even convinced Qin is stronger than Wu Zetian.

A challenge then:

Unifier Qin (+clans mode) vs. Yongle, alt Qin, Wu Zetian, Kublai Khan (China) and Tokugawa(?) on snowflake.
(There are almost enough leaders to play a China only snowflake map!)

Deity. Marathon.

A challenge then:

Unifier Qin (+clans mode) vs. Yongle, alt Qin, Wu Zetian, Kublai Khan (China) and Tokugawa(?) on snowflake.

Deity. Marathon.
Again, edge case scenarios aren't really going to tell you anything useful about how something would function in an average game. That's the key point here. No one is arguing that Qin isn't broken in specific circumstances, its just that those circumstance won't occur in the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of game the vast majority of players will play.

Last edited:
Not on TSL maps.
Or World Builder maps (like snowflake).

A challenge then:

Deity. Marathon.

If you get lucky and have a camp in a spot that can't change to a CS (within 3 tiles of a city), you can rinse and repeat. But you're still only getting a unit every 10 turns when you can raid the camp. And to really chain it, the base unit in the camp needs to be one you want. Most camps default to the spearmen line as their base unit, so it's not like you're getting a unit that can convert more. Sure, it's better than Julius' trick to get 100 gold for the same thing, but you're not auto-winning a game off that, since you still need to kill your unit. Qin's unit printing IMO really goes off the deep end if you can have a camp that's scouted you print units for you. The raided units are a nice bonus, but not enough to really change the game.

Of course, doing that on Marathon also changes the math, since the 10 turn clan raid timer doesn't scale to game speed either. If you compare them on normal speed, I think the gap would narrow a lot. New Qin if you get the right camps absolutely is insane. But if you get unlucky with camp spawns, or AI City-States are too good at sniping the camps from you, I'd rather base game Qin's abilities.

I usually play with Clans and Corporations on most every time. Occasionally I'll turn on Secret Societies or Heroes and Legends if I want a specific combo to try out.

A challenge then:

Deity. Marathon.
LOL. You can't do marathon if you're playing hotseat. I play online speed (with p0kiehl's extended eras) and that makes it already much longer than a marathon game when you account for total of turns. Otherwise the game would last until Christmas.

I'm also not playing snowflake. I don't like that map. You already know where everybody is. It's too predictable which means military focused civs have an advantage.

I also don't play deity in Hotseat games because the only effect is in barbarian aggressiveness, which always results in some Civs getting unlucky while others get to prosper. So I keep it at king to give every civ a decent chance.

Clans, sure, I always have that on.

Raid & convert (spawn).

Rinse, repeat (exploit) for gold and a massive army.
I do currently play Qin with Barbarian Clans mode. The interaction is strong and unique, but not overpowered. You do lose the converting unit and if you keep the camp secured and raid, it spawns only one unit. One for one is not a great trade.
I actually feel it is more powerful with vanilla barbs. The conversion in camp instantly disbands the camp.

I play on King, sure not Deity.

Top Bottom