Your experience with 43 - civs mode

Solidirio

Chieftain
I´ve been thinking about playing this on a huge map but im curious since it is stated it may not be that balanced. Anyone in here tried this mode yet? and if so how was your experience with it?

its great, i never play any other mode. there are a few things that don't work the way they were intended exactly, though they're rather subtle. for example the barb era is super short, you'll be lucky to hunt down more than 2-3 camps, stuff like that
What map do you play on? And do you ever finish a game?

Always thought of trying it but figured late game would either take too long between turns or crash.

May just give it a try.

How do you play this? It doesn't seem to be an option when I set up a game. I remember there used to be a seperate version for this when a new version came out, but haven't seen it for awhile. Is the 43 civs version part of the main version now, & just cannot see it, or isn't it supported anymore & have to obtain it somewhere else.

How are monopolies balanced in this one? are they hard to get on or just plainly impossible?

How do you play this? It doesn't seem to be an option when I set up a game. I remember there used to be a seperate version for this when a new version came out, but haven't seen it for awhile. Is the 43 civs version part of the main version now, & just cannot see it, or isn't it supported anymore & have to obtain it somewhere else.
I think you have to first delete the previous version of the mod overall, then download the regular installer and pick the 43 civ option. After that you should be able to go into the game setup inside MOD and add as many up to 43 civs.

What map do you play on? And do you ever finish a game?

Always thought of trying it but figured late game would either take too long between turns or crash.

May just give it a try.
yeah i finish games every now and then, usually play on continents+, fractal, or communitas; always huge or large, sometimes modding it to be even huger. Tbh my pace is too slow though and i often give up in favor of trying the new VP version by late mid- or early-late game, though I have played some all the way to end, including in hotseat mp, and it all works well. Once in a while a game gets "stuck" and won't advance past a certain turn -- i take it that this happens in regular VP and its not a 43-civ thing, though the odd time these happen its usually pretty obscure so who knows. Not a common occurrence anyway.

There are also some imperfections you may encounter, that tend to disappear and reappear from version to version... sometimes the map script can't find a place for you to start and you will lose on first turn as soon as game starts. Just start another, at its worst the script will figure out something playable on the 3rd or 4th try, though again this issue isn't all that common. Maybe more common on smaller maps or other map scripts. There are a few other small hiccups like this, nothing gamebreaking.

You don't want to pursue any barb-focused strategy, and don't expect to have an easy time wooing any CS allies. You want to try to rush out at least 3 cities -- you really have to rush or you'll only get two, sometimes even only one if you're too complacent and in the wrong neighborhood. Getting into the 6-12 city sweet spot requires some early warring every time -- occasionally you may get a very fortunate bottleneck that allows you to settle a great area while cutting others off from it, but don't count on being able to found more than 4-5 in a typical "good" start. Anyway, nothing you won't figure out in a game or two.

I'd highly recommend playing with, at the very least, raze CS & capitals mod, and something that allows a few more religions (I think the game "breaks" if you add more than 10 -- ie it just doesn't allow the 11th to be founded, and you'll keep getting prophets even tho you can't really use em).

Its an option in the installer.

How are monopolies balanced in this one? are they hard to get on or just plainly impossible?
they are achievable, by end-game there's typically only ~10 players still meaningfully in the game, and often a few manage to accumulate quite a big empire. I wouldn't be surprised if snowballing is more of an issue here, as power is so carved up between many "little fish" that as soon as a "big fish" appears, he can more easily gobble the others up.

yeah i finish games every now and then, usually play on continents+, fractal, or communitas; always huge or large, sometimes modding it to be even huger. Tbh my pace is too slow though and i often give up in favor of trying the new VP version by late mid- or early-late game, though I have played some all the way to end, including in hotseat mp, and it all works well. Once in a while a game gets "stuck" and won't advance past a certain turn -- i take it that this happens in regular VP and its not a 43-civ thing, though the odd time these happen its usually pretty obscure so who knows. Not a common occurrence anyway.

There are also some imperfections you may encounter, that tend to disappear and reappear from version to version... sometimes the map script can't find a place for you to start and you will lose on first turn as soon as game starts. Just start another, at its worst the script will figure out something playable on the 3rd or 4th try, though again this issue isn't all that common. Maybe more common on smaller maps or other map scripts. There are a few other small hiccups like this, nothing gamebreaking.

You don't want to pursue any barb-focused strategy, and don't expect to have an easy time wooing any CS allies. You want to try to rush out at least 3 cities -- you really have to rush or you'll only get two, sometimes even only one if you're too complacent and in the wrong neighborhood. Getting into the 6-12 city sweet spot requires some early warring every time -- occasionally you may get a very fortunate bottleneck that allows you to settle a great area while cutting others off from it, but don't count on being able to found more than 4-5 in a typical "good" start. Anyway, nothing you won't figure out in a game or two.

I'd highly recommend playing with, at the very least, raze CS & capitals mod, and something that allows a few more religions (I think the game "breaks" if you add more than 10 -- ie it just doesn't allow the 11th to be founded, and you'll keep getting prophets even tho you can't really use em).

Its an option in the installer.

they are achievable, by end-game there's typically only ~10 players still meaningfully in the game, and often a few manage to accumulate quite a big empire. I wouldn't be surprised if snowballing is more of an issue here, as power is so carved up between many "little fish" that as soon as a "big fish" appears, he can more easily gobble the others up.
So you're able to play all 43 civs via hotseat? I tried changing the number from "12" to "43" via C:/Programs(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meiers Civilization V/assets/DLC/Expansion2/Gameplay/XML/GameInfo/CIV5Worlds (see attachments).

Didn't seem to work (perhaps that's because I'm not in the right area?). My goal is to play as all 43 civs in the YnAEMP mod.

I'd appreciate any help/pointers.

Attachments

• Screenshot (17934).png
    Screenshot (17934).png
    126 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot (17935).png
    Screenshot (17935).png
    128.8 KB · Views: 6
I had to make a modpack to make it work, and its been several years, but yes used to play hotseat frequently with VP. I don't think it can be done via the mod menu itself

Once the modpack is created correctly its just matter of setting up game with 43 players as you normally would with 43-civ VP

I had to make a modpack to make it work, and its been several years, but yes used to play hotseat frequently with VP. I don't think it can be done via the mod menu itself

Once the modpack is created correctly its just matter of setting up game with 43 players as you normally would with 43-civ VP
Is that modpack still available by chance?

Is that modpack still available by chance?
No sorry, just made it locally on my system. And that was a long time ago, you'd want to do one with current/recent version, plus any added mods you want in your game.

If you are unfamiliar with the process, there is a pretty complete guide in the top post of the stickied modpack thread (its in one of the spoilers)

It will feel pretty hacky and uncertain the first time you create one, but its pretty straightforward really, just follow the instructions carefully

No sorry, just made it locally on my system. And that was a long time ago, you'd want to do one with current/recent version, plus any added mods you want in your game.

If you are unfamiliar with the process, there is a pretty complete guide in the top post of the stickied modpack thread (its in one of the spoilers)

It will feel pretty hacky and uncertain the first time you create one, but its pretty straightforward really, just follow the instructions carefully
Thx.

Top Bottom