New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Say, a Homeworld kind of game could be interesting, don't you think so?

Have all your people live in an artificial planet that you can move, and use that as your base. Planets you encounter on your way would be traded with for resources or just ransacked if you feel like it or there isn't anything living there. You can take the remains from battles and convert those to new resources or study the ships for new things... Endless possibilities, easier to make than my old idea.

Opinions?

As in the video game? That might be fun, yes!

Say, a Homeworld kind of game could be interesting, don't you think so?

Have all your people live in an artificial planet that you can move, and use that as your base. Planets you encounter on your way would be traded with for resources or just ransacked if you feel like it or there isn't anything living there. You can take the remains from battles and convert those to new resources or study the ships for new things... Endless possibilities, easier to make than my old idea.

Opinions?

As a NES, it certainly could be interesting. I never played Homeworld, but space-faring sci-fi always has potential. The concept definitely has some gee-whiz appeal, but ultimately, a mobile planet is just a chip on the board, it is the storytelling and the game structure that makes a NES come alive. (Disclaimer: I am an extremely inexperienced NESer, having participated in only 5 total)

That said, I can't stand space-faring Sci-fi that doesn't account for gravity, or logic. Why do the planets move? Do they orbit stars? If no, why not? (stars = universe's only energy source) Why planets, and not ships? How do they move? How do they stay heated in transit, or remove heat when in close orbit? Are they weaponized, and if so, what would that look like?

These are questions you'd have to either answer or brush aside as a mod. You certainly don't have to have an answer to all, or even any of them to run this NES successfully, but the more fully-realized your world is, the better the game will play.

Well, I have some ideas.

For example, you would be able to place colonies, but as soon as those people settle, you lose control over them. You can later go trade with them for resources, for better prices, and maybe even dictate some kind of policies.

You would design your own ships, one for each kind, build your farms in the ship... That's Homeworld, but with each player having one of those ships.

As a NES, it certainly could be interesting. I never played Homeworld, but space-faring sci-fi always has potential. The concept definitely has some gee-whiz appeal, but ultimately, a mobile planet is just a chip on the board, it is the storytelling and the game structure that makes a NES come alive. (Disclaimer: I am an extremely inexperienced NESer, having participated in only 5 total)

That said, I can't stand space-faring Sci-fi that doesn't account for gravity, or logic. Why do the planets move? Do they orbit stars? If no, why not? (stars = universe's only energy source) Why planets, and not ships? How do they move? How do they stay heated in transit, or remove heat when in close orbit? Are they weaponized, and if so, what would that look like?

These are questions you'd have to either answer or brush aside as a mod. You certainly don't have to have an answer to all, or even any of them to run this NES successfully, but the more fully-realized your world is, the better the game will play.

The planet would orbit stars from a safe distance and then send "raiding" ships into the planets that are to be attacked. For example, if you develop a certain technology, you could send them to a Jupiter-like planet and extract hydrogen from it.
It could be a really huge spaceship, like a Death Star but bigger. They could stay heated by burning fuels, and remove it with a circulation of air through tubes that pass through the vacuum of space (-273 ºC is quite cold :D ). They move with hyperspace motors. They can be weaponized or not, depending on what you want to do. Other factor would be the origin of your ship, either metallic (a la Homeworld) or a hollowed out world (there was these aliens in X-Men called Z'Nox that hollowed out their world and transformed it into a giant spaceship with which they went into raids, and which caused several powerful earthquakes on Earth when they came here). There are many things that can be done on it.
Whatever you do, you would have to build spacedocks to make spaceships, farms for the food, water would have to be recycled. Loads of possibilities.

They could stay heated by burning fuels, and remove it with a circulation of air through tubes that pass through the vacuum of space (-273 ºC is quite cold :D ).
This isn't how physics works. Why would you burn fuel when you can just use stellar flux for heat like a real planet? Also, convection and conduction don't work at all in space, because it's not a fluid you can radiate heat into (unlike air or water). If you're serious, you should do some research, probably starting here.

Hello there! This is the president of the Combined Earth Federations, David Smith speaking. How are you all fine folks doing? Well I know that a lot of you have been concerned with my supposed ill health as of these recent days, but don't you worry about that anymore because as of today, I am effectively immortal! Through the wonders of science, my mind has been uploaded to a computer, where I can continue to service the Greatest Federation for the rest of eternity.

Now for people who's still listening, I have even more good news! I am certain that you have heard of the minor uprising by a bunch of miners in Delta quadrant of this galaxy, and know that all of you have been worried sick because of it. What is going on, Dave? You asked me. Is the miner uprising going to spread? What do the miners want? Is it going to crash the stock markets for the umpteenth time? Well I have good news for you, Dave took care of it! I can assure you that the disputes that the miners had with the Federation have been dealt with in the friendliest manner possible. As a result, I have been assured that Project Reach will continue as scheduled by the most trusted of my advisors.

Meanwhile, to those who complained about the newly created Psy-Corps, complaining of possible human rights violations and saying that Psy-Corps is just a new name for Thought Police, I have been authorized to release some details that suggest that the moon is in fact made of cheese and jelly beans and colored in rainbows...uhh and... windshield wipers? Parrots? What idiot wrote thi-

Just a fluff story on a story/decision NES similiar in vein to DOOM NES that I had thought of. Further details to come later.

Hello! President of the Combined Earth Federation David Smith speaking. One of the pros of being poured into a computer, other than immortality, is the fact that I can make multiple announcements at the same time! In fact, if you change your radio channel right now, you will STILL be able to hear my voice, talking about multiple differen-

Click

...o not worry. All of the Psi-Corps members have been fitted with Psi-restraining devices and are quite incapable of reading your thoughts. In fact, if you suspect that a Psi-Corp member is reading your thoughts, then you should contact your local authority immediately!

Meanwhile, I must continuously tell people of the dangers of psy-

Click.

...ntroducing the Project Reach!

For too long a time, humanity has stagnated, stuck inside our own galaxy. No more with this beauty! We will be able to send a million colonists to the galaxy of Andromeda! Soon, humanity shall spread out over the entire universe!

Now how is this possible, you say. Isn't it impossible to reach other galaxies with the usual hyperspace engines? It's too slow! No worries! Dave took care of it. I introduce you the Ultrafold engine! It's like hyperspace engine, except hundred times quicker!

Now, you prospective colonists may be wondering, Dave, is this really worth it? What am I really signing up for? Am I going to be crammed in like sardines inside that ship with a million other colonists?

Of course not! The ship is the size of Manhattan! In case you didn't visit Manhattan yet, I can assure you that it is large enough for a million people. In fact, I can promise you...

Much entertainment in the facilities we installed there!

Pleasant walks in the indoor gardens and parks!

State of the arts defensive system!

Great food (cheescake is served every friday)!

Great people!

And most importantly of all, first stake in any land you find in Andromeda!

You can sign up for this once in a lifetime opportunity in any CEF colonial facility. Write your name down and hope to be the lucky son-of-a-gun to remake your life.

David Smith, we are done here.

Game: name yet undetermined.

Inspirations: kkmo's unlaunched NES. Northen Wolf's Orc village. DOOM NES. Milarqui's idea for Homeworld NES, to a certain part. etc etc.

Basic idea behind the game is that people play as one of those "lucky" colonists that have joined the Reach program. The colony ship is, of course, a technological marvel just like the President David Smith promised. It is so large that there is, in fact, a whole city inside it.

Of course, as all technological wonders go, things do not exactly progress as planned. Midtravel, the Ultrafold engine suffers a catastrophic failure. Stranded in between the dark spaces between two galaxies it would be up to the colonists to do what they can to repair the engines and journey to Andromeda. But with dwindling resources and energy, infighting breaks out amongst the people.

As one of the more gifted colonists, it is entirely up to you to lead the ship and its inhabitants to safety, wherever that may be.

So, you lead factions on the ship?

That sounds really cool man.

I remember this one time back when I was much more into sci fi I was working on a novel about social divisions and rivalries in a long term spaceship that just by design took multiple generations to reach its destination and I remember enjoying some of the concepts a lot. But honestly for NESing I very much like your way better since the existence of a state of crisis would kinda force more conflict.

I'm very interested.

I heard David Smith's voice as Cave Johnson from Portal 2.

I heard David Smith's voice as Cave Johnson from Portal 2.

His voice was one I had in mind when I was writing that :p

Character Creation- perhaps the most important part of the game. Who will your character be? Would he be a badass space marine (no, you do NOT get power armor) stationed upon this ship? A hapless engineer who happened to be tasked with maintaining the ship? A miner trying to improve his luck? A civilian scientist excited about exploring Andromeda Galaxy? Possibilities are endless.

For that reason, I think I will be using the following template:

Name: (Tell me your character's name.)
Occupation: What is your character's job? This affects how well your character performs certain tasks. For example, don't expect your space marine to be able to fix the Ultrafold Engine, and don't expect a theoretical physicist to beat back a horde of Lovecraftian monsters armed with nothing but a crowbar.
Personality: Are you magnanimous? Are you eccentric? Are you neurotic? This shall decide how you react to certain situations. Also write in any hobbies or experiences that your character may have had in a short and concise form.
Inventory: Note that I shall be the one that will decide most of these. I shall read over your backstory and other traits, and decide upon the items that you will be most likely be carrying.
Backstory: Important, important, important. It's from this and your personality trait that I will be able to understand the 'spirit' of the character that you create. This shall heavily affect how your character reacts to certain situations.

And no, you may not choose to be a member of the Psi-Corps, whatever it may be. This may or may not be related to...

Special Characters: Oh hell yes. In the beginning of the game, people may send in PMs to me requesting one. A few of you, depending on the number of sign-ups and what I know of you as a player, I will gift you with a Special Role. However, people must be informed that they will forever be confined to a certain role that I have made for them. You will also be expected to play IC all the time. I must also state the importance of the players sending me this in PM form because people will NOT know that you have that certain role.

Since I am trying to avoid spamming this thread, I will begin updating information about the game through the handy tool known as a Social Group

ASOIAF NES - A Game of Thrones

What: I dont know if you read the A Song of Ice and Fire books by George r.r. Martin or the new HBO series but I have and I love them. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in playing a story based Nes set in Westeros and about her people. Even if you have never read the books the idea is very interesting so give it a look and you may like it. In the same fashion as JRR Tolkien Martin created a comprehensive complete world, a whole world history has been established. It will not be difficult with a little looking to establish exactly who your character is in Westeros and some data may even be available facts about certain people that you can use to help you decide which lord or player to be and then to work on the character of your particular lord. I was just posting to see if anyone is interested so let me know if you would be.

Where: The Seven kingdoms of Westeros, a long continent streaching from the Wall in the far north to the burning sands of Dorne in the south is divided into eight major sections each controlled by a powerful lord, left as regents by the Targaryan King. Thousands of years ago a cataclysmic event left the Seasons out of whack, causing years long summers and terrible Winters that can last even longer. IF there are enough people it is no problem to break up the sections into areas controlled by smaller lords but in one of these places you may have to work with or against another player whos lands your lord holds his from. (Ex A Bolton revolting against the Stark in Winterfell or going to war with your men as part of his armies)

Who: The player Characters would be different lords/knights/etc from the Seven kingdoms, each player is one person or lord, with control over the people or individuals who they could influence in GRRMs world.

Characters - The Lord Commander of the Nights Watch, The Stark in Winterfell, Lord Tully of Riverrun, Lord Arryn of the Vale, Lord Lannister of Casterly Rock, Lord Greyjoy Lord of the Iron Islands, Lord Tyrell of Highgarden, Lord Barathion of Storms End, Prince Martell of Dorne, Knights of the Kings Guard, and you would also be free to choose any other established lord, knight, or person from the Seven Kingdoms [with the exception of the Targaryans] and beyond (if you wished to be Dothraki Kahl or even a Faceless man of Bravos I dont see why we couldnt work it into the story.)

When: To avoid the directly established cannon the Nes is set approx 100 years after the Conquest of Aegon the conqueror which places it 100 years before the time of the short stories by GRRM. The reason is so that the kingdoms of Westeros keep their general shape and leadership from the book series as opposed to trying to figure out which kings ruled Westeros before the conquest (Black Harren in Harrenhall in the riverlands and Garderners of Highgarden for example). To clarify 100 years after the Conquest the line of the Dragon Kings was strong and still ruled Westeros with Dragons at their sides. The Lords of Westeros interact and make war and peace much as they always have but now with the powerful Targaryans of the Iron throne keeping the peace or at least changing the shape and authority in the Seven Kingdoms forever casting down the old proud kings and forging a new kingdom and a new throne from their blades. From the Iron throne comes order, but as Winter falls trouble brews as challenges come to threaten the peace of Westeros!

If anyone has any questions or ideas feel free to private message me about it I am open to total restructure of the idea if it will get people into it, i just really love the base idea and wanna give it a shot!

Winter is Coming….

@freemanuncg

It's a compelling idea in theory, but so much of the narrative forces at work in the series are driven by work outside of traditional state actors, including people whose motivations and true power aren't yet revealed for the general audience. Any ASOIAF NES would have to make guesses on the ASOIAF world itself, especially as the companion guide hasn't come out yet, and have to shoehorn characters into wildly implausible paths because of player actions guiding actions away from Martin's canon. Perhaps a better idea would be to launch a NES in the ASOIAF world decades or centuries prior to the intimate POVs of the current ASOIAF world, such as during the War of the Ninepenny Kings, the Dance of Dragons, or the initial War of Conquest.

Also, Martin frowns on fanfiction works and their ilk. :(

@Kraznaya

Well this would be set 80 or so years before the dance of the Dragons 100 years before the Short stories and 200 years before the book series.

So you would be free to name your character as you please and the events of the game wouldnt interferer with any main characters in the book series or the short stories.

The characters would have to be made up, and the characters actions wouldn't really part of Martins canon as not much is known about the time period except for the Targaryns who will just serve as the governing NPC settling disputes collecting 'taxes' and such

Game name: yet to be determined

Topic: NESers would play as generals in Germany during WW1

Basically the players enter as divisional commanders, which an NPC kaiser, CiC, General staff, and other generals, and work their way up the ladder through the war. Will you push for continued offensives and movement after Marne in order to avoid set trenches? Will you avoid the marne, instead launching a naval invasion on Britain, and sweeping from the north from normandy into paris? Or will you leave the west alone, and focus your wrath on Russia? Will you mass produce tanks to break verdun, and eventually Paris and london? Allies are up in the air, as Italy, ottomans, japan, and USA consider which side to join.

It would involve the general staff allocating resources and managing the industry and manpower of the nation. The players could influence this by either getting onto the staff through appointment by the chairman, through a string of impressive victories, or simply by gaining "influence" with the generals on the staff and staying out of the limelight yourself. gain influence by following anothers' plans, no matter how bad they be, and turning them into a victory. Come up with a brilliant plan, and let someone take credit for it. the possibilities are endless.

The map would focus on europe, with events simulating conflicts in africa, the pacific, and america. These will determine how many forces you allocate where, as well as troops from countries off the map such as japan, the commonwealth, and america. Currently thinking of 2 week turns.

Make suggestions, discuss, and let me know if you are interested. this will be the first NES I would possibly GM, so im open to any and all suggestions for the wars.

This was and still is inspired by LizNES5, Glory in the Sun, and Sonereal giving me the idea for a WW1 NES, war room style.

Top Bottom