Football Thread No. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodbye Mr Villas-Boas. You looked and sounded hopelessly out of your depth by the end, I'm afraid.

He approached a lot of situations incorrectly or perhaps just naively.. He made attempts to alter the politics in the dressing room, which did not go over very well with older players.. He didn't approach the media properly - said things he never should have. His tactics were often strange and not the most optimal - it's almost like he was trying to force the players into a new system instead of finding a more optimal formation & tactics that work better with the players at his disposal. He didn't know how to deal with a bad run of results either, that's just never happened to him before.

In the end it's sad to see him go, but he wasn't ready. If we had picked him up 4-5 years from now, things would have been a lot different. What we need is somebody a bit more experienced to take us through this transition.. I like Di Matteo, but I don't think he's as strong tactically like AVB was. (And he was, even though he made mistakes)

I wouldn't mind if Moyes took over. Mourinho is always welcome, but he's been a bit of a douchebag lately, not sure if I want someone like that managing my club. Guardiola would be interesting, but I don't think he's going anywhere. Hiddink would be amazing, I'd take him over anyone else.

The SFA finds out a year too late that Craig Whyte shouldn't have been allowed to take over the Rangers Football Club. :cringe:

We don't need luck, just justice :lol:

Well, it was a great performance and a great result, but you got a lot more than justice. One offside goal, and a gimme on the third...

Current FIFA rules said:
If a player loses his footwear accidentally and immediately plays the ball and/or scores a goal, there is no infringement and the goal is awarded because he lost his footwear by accident.

Bizarre decision by the ref to penalise Evra for playing the ball when his boot had come off, leading directly to the third goal.

Should make the second leg interesting :)

He approached a lot of situations incorrectly or perhaps just naively.. He made attempts to alter the politics in the dressing room, which did not go over very well with older players.. He didn't approach the media properly - said things he never should have. His tactics were often strange and not the most optimal - it's almost like he was trying to force the players into a new system instead of finding a more optimal formation & tactics that work better with the players at his disposal. He didn't know how to deal with a bad run of results either, that's just never happened to him before.

In the end it's sad to see him go, but he wasn't ready. If we had picked him up 4-5 years from now, things would have been a lot different. What we need is somebody a bit more experienced to take us through this transition.. I like Di Matteo, but I don't think he's as strong tactically like AVB was. (And he was, even though he made mistakes)

I wouldn't mind if Moyes took over. Mourinho is always welcome, but he's been a bit of a douchebag lately, not sure if I want someone like that managing my club. Guardiola would be interesting, but I don't think he's going anywhere. Hiddink would be amazing, I'd take him over anyone else.

Not much I disagree with there, Warpus. AVB will be a very good manager, I expect. But, as you say, he just didn't know how to handle a bad run of results, especially with a bunch of prima donnas like you currently have at Chelsea. (Talented prima donnas, for sure, but the "me, me , me" mentality is a bit strong in many of them) Good luck to Di Matteo, someone who wasn't good enough for West Brom. Nice guy, and should be used to dealing with difficult situations, but he's not a top rank manager.

Moyes, though? I have a lot of time for him, but he's always done well with meagre budgets. Has he shown he can do well when the money is relatively free-flowing? I guess he's got a solid footballing brain and lots of good experience, and wouldn't be a bad person to try out. He always seems more likely to be the next Man U manager than the next Chelsea one, though, given that he'd be given enough time to develop into the role at Old Trafford.

Well, it was a great performance and a great result, but you got a lot more than justice. One offside goal, and a gimme on the third...

Despite the offside goal, and a gimme on the third, Athletic deserved to win. In any case, the gimme you are saying is an infraction as I explain later, so we did not have to return the ball

Bizarre decision by the ref to penalise Evra for playing the ball when his boot had come off, leading directly to the third goal.

That's not a bizarre decision, it is the law, a player without boot can not play the ball, so it is fault, no need to return the ball, players should know it.
It is a stupid law but is the law.

EDIT: BTW if we are going to talk about referee, please check this penalty (left side of the photo) that was not seen in first half, Llorente fell and referee decided it was his fault

Never mind that Urited's first goal came from a free kick where the ball was never stationary…

Despite the offside goal, and a gimme on the third, Athletic deserved to win. In any case, the gimme you are saying is an infraction as I explain later, so we did not have to return the ball

That's not a bizarre decision, it is the law, a player without boot can not play the ball, so it is fault, no need to return the ball, players should know it.
It is a stupid law but is the law.

EDIT: BTW if we are going to talk about referee, please check this penalty (left side of the photo) that was not seen in first half, Llorente fell and referee decided it was his fault

Hmm. I think you're on shaky ground looking at one isolated shirt pull given the tactics Athletic took of niggly fouls all game long, one which the ref could have easily taken a harder line on.

On the "bizarre decision", I just looked it up in the FIFA rules (and quoted it above). Maybe you have an alternative source - if so, why not quote it. The ref certainly appeared to gesture that he thought he had no option other than to award a free-kick, and he ought to know the rules, so I'm happy to be convinced. As I say though, the section I quoted is straight from FIFA's own rule book.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12_en.pdf See page 65.

Or, in succinct Powerpoint format, see slide 4. http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_4_the_players_equipment_en_47415.pdf

It's not an isolated shirt pull, it's a two-handed pull from back and front a couple metres away from the goal.

Ruligs aside, I think two goals are more than Fergie's squad deserved tonight.

Never mind that Urited's first goal came from a free kick where the ball was never stationary…

Heh. Like that's one which isn't broken a dozen times a game? You'll be laying down the line of foul throws next. :rolleyes: Tak, you're looking to play devil's advocate as usual. Is this just because you think you don't actually have a team to support any more, cos the good news is that the 'Gers are still breathing (just). Let's check in at the Intensive Care Unit again tomorrow and see how they're doing ;)

Heh. Like that's one which isn't broken a dozen times a game? You'll be laying down the line of foul throws next. :rolleyes:
Unlike most Rangers fans I tend to be a stickler for the rules in football.
Tak, you're looking to play devil's advocate as usual.
Why? I'll happily admit that the refereeing in general was dismal and Atheltic Bilbao's second goal was scored from an evident offside position. Aren't Manchester United the 'devils'? ;)
Lambert Simnel said:
Is this just because you think you don't actually have a team to support any more, cos the good news is that the 'Gers are still breathing (just). Let's check in at the Intensive Care Unit again tomorrow and see how they're doing ;)
Oooh, you're asking for it.

2-0 and you're through, you can do it. But United keeping on the Unconvincible streak isn't good for them. Good play should get results, not the other way around. Now the team doesn't win and neither does it play well. I genuinely liked ManYoo between 2005-08, including their 7-1 thrashing of Rome, but it has to change.

Well we are bringing some new and younger players into the team, so they will take some time to become great players they will become.

It's probably too many new/young players being brought in at the one time. And I'm not sure Johnny Evans is premiership quality, never mind the level United need. To be fair, with a fit Vidic and Ferdinand, this would be a very strong team, and maybe 5 or 6 points clear in the Premiership. They still wouldn't be playing the same high quality attacking football as Takhisis is recalling though.

Anyway, Bilbao were good value for their win, and it creates a bit of interest in a mind-blowingly dull competition.

4th rule, page 20

The basic compulsory equipment of a player comprises the following separate
items:
• a jersey or shirt with sleeves – if undergarments are worn, the colour of the
sleeve must be the same main colour as the sleeve of the jersey or shirt
• shorts – if undershorts or tights are worn, they must be of the same main
colour as the shorts
• stockings
• shinguards
• footwear

page 21
If play is stopped by the referee to administer a caution:
the match is restarted by an indirect free kick taken by a player of the
opposing team from the place where the ball was located when the referee
stopped the match (see Law 13 – Position of free kick)

You are wellcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom