What Native American tribe do you expect/want?

Which Native American tribe do you expect/want?

• Total voters
As I said in the other thread, how is Sacagawea a better leader choice than Pocahontas? Pocahontas would be a cheap and gimmicky choice, but at least she was the daughter of an actual ruler. Sacagawea was just a regular woman who went along on the Lewis and Clark expedition. As the leader of her entire civ, she makes less sense than Pocahontas.

Ok... After this, and reading a bit more... Yes, I stand corrected...

... Ah well, we can only hope and wait, it's quite sadly the only "hint" (unofficial, btw) we've had in a while anyway...

I still want to see John Ross led the Cherokee into a brave new world... Or at least a Mississippian/Shawnee civ with Tsecumeh. (I probably horribly misspelled that.)

I still want to see John Ross led the Cherokee into a brave new world... Or at least a Mississippian/Shawnee civ with Tsecumeh. (I probably horribly misspelled that.)

Horribly hehe... Tecumseh*

And yes, Shawnee is still my bet and prefered choice by now.

Hey! The only mistake I made was the "s" was out of place! Hooray for me being able to spell Native names! (kinda)...

There were a few native derived words on the National Spelling Bee actually (yes I watched some of it when flipping through channels. They asked for some Tupi derived words and Catawba that I saw) You aren't the only one in the US who has trouble spelling native stuff as that bee showed :lol:

There were a few native derived words on the National Spelling Bee actually (yes I watched some of it when flipping through channels. They asked for some Tupi derived words and Catawba that I saw) You aren't the only one in the US who has trouble spelling native stuff as that bee showed :lol:

That's not to mention the variety of spellings sometimes, or the fact that some of the spellings don't really reflect phonological accuracy that much. I mean look at all the different ways to spell Cusco/Cuzco/Qusqu/Kusco/Kuzco/Qofiajsofijaofijawoifjeawoefj.

Even though they are eliminated already, I would like the Comanche, the strongest "resistors" of the European invasion.

That's not to mention the variety of spellings sometimes, or the fact that some of the spellings don't really reflect phonological accuracy that much. I mean look at all the different ways to spell Cusco/Cuzco/Qusqu/Kusco/Kuzco/Qofiajsofijaofijawoifjeawoefj.

how can they iinclude wods ike that on spelling bees? who says which one is right? are there multiple correct answers? are we even spelling Gucumatz's name right? is it Gucumatz Qucumatz, Gugumatz Q'uq'umatz or Quetzacoatl?

The Kaqchikel sources I have seen put it at Gucumatz. Its more commonly seen as Gukumatz though (The Quiche version and the God/Spy we see in game for the Maya :p). The Maya form*

Aztecs/Toltec forms have different spellings of course too :lol:

The Kaqchikel sources I have seen put it at Gucumatz. Its more commonly seen as Gukumatz though (The Quiche version and the God/Spy we see in game for the Maya :p)

Obviously Gucumatz is the wrong spelling, the right one is Qosijgaoijfowejfoawijfoawijfaowfijaowfjquigglywaggly. :crazyeye:

Silly transliteration systems.

Also, the winning word for the spelling bee was a Yiddish word, "Knaidel" which linguists/Yiddish speakers say the winning contestant spelled wrong lol.

I was confused when I saw the word, because I thought of the German Knodel which is the same food that I grew up eating. Didn't realize it was Yiddish. Knodel/Knaidel/Kneydel are all separate spellings

Also, the winning word for the spelling bee was a Yiddish word, "Knaidel" which linguists/Yiddish speakers say the winning contestant spelled wrong lol.

I was confused when I saw the word, because I thought of the German Knodel which is the same food that I grew up eating. Didn't realize it was Yiddish. Knodel/Knaidel/Kneydel are all separate spellings

which is probably the reason that spelling bees probably shouldn't use words from languages with completely different alphabets.

Even 200 years ago in English there were hundreds of different spellings for each word. If you got the point across, who cared? It's only our modern obsession with bureaucracy that's led to this standardised alphabet and dictionary sort of understanding.

I'm indifferent to Native American civs. They'd be relegated to early game UBs and UUs (Which we have a lot of already) and none of the north American natives have ever impressed me historically. They commanded tiny populations, were technologically hopeless, and their greatest achievements range from "Briefly prolonged sovereignty" (Sioux) to "Building on a cliff face" (Pueblo).

I think that both in terms of theme and gameplay, the Iroquois cover everything the north American natives have to offer.

Top Bottom