News:SGOTM 21 Sign up Thread - Conquering The Hearts

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
SGOTM 21 Sign up Thread - Conquering The Hearts

Sign up NOW for the next SGOTM, featuring another BSPollux map administered by Deckhand.
You will play as Pericles of Greece.

You are good friends with Willem of Oranje, the leader of the Dutch. You are in contact with him from the start and you will be on the same continent. For years he has made fun of you for being a bookworm and more interested in discussing arts and politics with old men than everything else. He himself is a total party animal and skirt chaser. Now the time has come to beat him in his own game:

Win the heart of the most prominent women of the world, all three female leaders, before you reach a victory condition of your choice.

That's the plan. But how do you 'win the heart' of a leader? Willem knows about your plan, but he's a good sportsman and willing to help you master the arts of male/female interaction. On condition you pay all the bills, he will accompany you on a series of training parties during which you will discover different options to charm the three ladies. He has met them and has a few good ideas about what they might like. You can ask him a total of ten questions, each will cost you 100 gold or two workers to work off your bills.

1) He can tell you, roughly, where to find the three female leaders. (This will be general directions only)
2) The three ways to win Elizabeth's heart.
3) The three ways to win Isabella's heart.
4) The three ways to win Catherine’s heart.

You need to fulfill only one task for each lady, but some will be easier than others and some may need a long time to finish. So you better get to know them early. It is very well possible that some of these tasks may become impossible to fulfill during the game, by your actions or those of others. But there is at least one way to win each heart that can't be blocked. Obviously, it won't be the fastest or easiest.

If Willem’s civilization gets destroyed you are allowed to ask any other male leader for advice, but it will cost you triple the gold or workers.
If a female leader gets dethroned you can't win her heart anymore; but if you already fulfilled a task for her this won't matter. You may declare war on anyone at any time, even Willem or the ladies.

You may never 'beg' from Willem, same goes with any other leader if you ever buy info from him in case because Willem was defeated. If you pay your bills by gifting workers you have to move them into the player’s capital first, to stop you from stealing them back at once.

Your starting area
Click for a full size image

The overall difficulty level is immortal, but some AIs have slightly altered starts and so do you: We added a worker to your starting units to allow a quick start. As requested by you, we have revealed the area around the starting position to mitigate the effect of unlucky turn zero scouting and to allow you to plan a ahead.

Game Options
Ancient Era Start
Normal Speed
No Vassals
No Goody Huts
No Events
Normal Barbs
All Victory Conditions Enabled

Map size Standard
9 Opponents
Normal Barbs
Map: Modified custom continents
Difficulty: Immortal
=================================

Timetable

The Pre-game Discussion Thread for this game is now open for business.

Please sign up in this thread by January 5 at the latest. To help us to assign players to teams, please indicate your preferred team, whether you have played previous SGOTMs or SGs, and the highest level of Civ4 difficulty you can typically win at.

The team discussion threads for this game will open on or before January 7.

The team starting saves will be available here on January 10.

The completion deadline will be April 30. Plan your game, and please avoid a last minute struggle to meet the deadline.
Please be warned, except in the event of cosmic catastrophes. THERE WILL BE NO DEADLINE EXTENSIONS.

Notes
  • Versions
    This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using the standard BUFFY-3.19.003 HoF mod, Unless stated otherwise in this thread before the game starts..
    If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in BtS version 3.19 before updating your copy of BtS, or you should create and update a separate copy. See also the note about Steam updates below.

Macintosh players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows software on their system.
  • Steam
    If you play BtS using Steam, then your BtS will auto-update to a new version which is incompatible with those playing the DVD version. You will therefore need to install the Steam "beta" version to play this game. You can check whether your copy of BtS is compatible by downloading a SGOTM 19 starting save. If it loads OK in your copy of BtS, then you are ready to play.
  • Rules and Procedures
    Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.

Note, the usual GOTM restrictions apply: no replaying, no liberating cities to a civ you are at war with (except in peace deal), no subsidizing resource trades with AI, no goto mapping or flying camera, only 1 tech from Oracle/Liberalism.

All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Please sign up for this game as soon as possible by posting your own details in this thread. I shall update the draft team lists below during the sign-up period.

Please use the separate Pregame Discussion Thread for any non-sign-up questions or comments about this game. Deckhand or BSPollux will give definitive answers to detailed technical issues you raise.

Current Sign-up Lists
The table below will display your stated team preferences as I add you to the database. The number of players in each team is shown in brackets, as are non-playing advisers.

I'm in....

TSR...
Comfortable on Immortal (can handled Diety with luck and/or good starts).
PLayed a few sgotm before.

I will however likely be unavailable until January 12th (Cristmas related travel).

I'm in.

I've put leif and Folket in Unusual SuspeX for now. Let me know how the plans develop.

Pheonix Rising
Immortal
Played SGOTM before.

I'm in.

Whatever team needs a warm body.

Very rusty Emp/Imm level skill-set.

I'm in
Played most, you'd think I would be better by now. :twitch:
MGN please

Maybe i'm in if FE will reform with another Captain. Otherwise i can consider offers by other teams.

Can't offer much, but I would like to try.
Very comfortable on Monarch single player, I have won Immortal before.
Never played in an SGOTM, and have no idea which team would be least damaged by my membership. You can decide, and put me there.

Getting worse but can probably win emperor.
Collected several wooden spoons.
? Fifth Element (if reformed).

Do not play enough but That's what SGOTM is for!
I'll sign in with CGU
Experienced at emperor

Top Bottom