News:SGOTM 21 Sign up Thread - Conquering The Hearts

please indicate your preferred team, whether you have played previous SGOTMs or SGs, and the highest level of Civ4 difficulty you can typically win at.

This game looks funny.

I'm living in Toronto, so I prefer to joining a team with the most Torontonian. If no, the most Canadian; if no, the most American. :) Talking about civ by phone or face-to-face is more efficient as I don't like to write a lot. Update: I've joined TSR as there are 3 American in the team while we can communicate at the same time zone.

I played 2 SGOTMs before.

I can typically win at deity level. I'm not sure why this question is asked here. Can this question be removed to encourage new comers? I think time resource is more important to make up an effective team, such as how much time can be spent on SGOTM every day.

I have not much time to play, so I don't think I can make great contribution to the team. My best role in the team game is a financial advisor, i.e. I will calculate which option is more lucrative in terms of the maximum return and facilitate the team decision making. However, I may not be able to play or write plans. I think the above clarification is important because the SGOTM teams need to be balanced not only at skills, but also time resources.

ChrisSchaffer and I seem to have been dropped by accident, from the unassigned list.

No big deal, I'm sure you would correct that without my input.

But since I thought it prudent to mention that I will be pretty much out of touch until January 9, 2015... so whichever team I end up on, don't worry, I'm a finisher.

I can easily win deity games, no matter how poor the starting area is as long as it's randomly generated by the game itself.

The map is not random generated. I created it from scratch to fit the scenario. The classification "continents" should help you to pick fitting strategies. There are several big landmasses divided by oceans, in difference to a panaea or lakes map, for instance.

And, but you know that because you already played some sgotm, the scenario is not designed to make a significant number of players fail / get defeated. The idea is to force you to use on an unusual path to victory. Maybe get you out of your comfort zone for a while. You don't fight the AI, you compete with the other teams. I just felt the need to explain it in case someone reads this who never played SGOTM. Wanted to make sure everyone knows you don't have to be a world class player to enjoy these games.

The map is not random generated. I created it from scratch to fit the scenario. The classification "continents" should help you to pick fitting strategies. There are several big landmasses divided by oceans, in difference to a panaea or lakes map, for instance.

And, but you know that because you already played some sgotm, the scenario is not designed to make a significant number of players fail / get defeated. The idea is to force you to use on an unusual path to victory. Maybe get you out of your comfort zone for a while. You don't fight the AI, you compete with the other teams. I just felt the need to explain it in case someone reads this who never played SGOTM. Wanted to make sure everyone knows you don't have to be a world class player to enjoy these games.

I don't think a world class player is equivalent to "playing at deity level". The sentence you quoted is just to answer the question of "the highest level of Civ4 difficulty you can typically win at". "playing at detity level" just means that I'm more familiar with deity setting: more gain from tech trade, high returns from wars etc. My experience may not be so useful at Immortal level of SGOTM. That's it. I've played a lot of BOTMs at different levels and I know that my deity experience sometimes leads me to wrong decisions.

Since this sentence has aroused unexpected feelings, I've withdrawn it and replaced with a new one.

PR yo

Minor note - I'm ChrisShaffer not ChrisSchaffer.

That said, you can spell my last name with Sh or Sch, or with a or ae, or with f or ff, or any combination thereof, and I'll still answer. Your PMs might not make it though.

;)

I'm not intending to sign up for this SGOTM but I'm a bit surprised it's not advertised on the main page to try and drum up new participants.

:confused:

I haven't had time to do so yet. But I'd be interested to know when you believe the last new competitor was recruited from the home page announcement.

RL is somewhat under control, finally playing Civ again :D. A bit rusty but I'll give it a go.

Unusual SuspeX (XTeam) please

I haven't had time to do so yet. But I'd be interested to know when you believe the last new competitor was recruited from the home page announcement.

Well it caught my attention that way, and that wasn't not long ago...

And even if it's nothing but a reminder for the old guys, its still worth it.

Alan seems very against marketing this stuff. I know it has brought players to SGOTMs and GOTMs, and I know for certain it made participation in the last HOF challenge better than it has in some time. It also helps to post announcements in General and S&T. There is certain no harm in doing so either.

I'm not against it at all. Don't know why you say that. My laptop is currently off the air as I'm in transit around Massachusetts and have had very poor network access. When I get it operational later today I'll do the announcement.

Anyway, a good idea might be if you (players) posted in your old team threads. Maybe some people didn't cancel the alerts and get reminded that way.

But we still got three weeks to go, we are in no hurry.

Top Bottom