Random Rants LXVII: Emptiness = Melancholia*Cheerlessness^2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfenstein already did that.

It worked pretty well, considering.

Attack of the Nazi Zombies from the Moon could be a good game if it's made by RWS(the makers of Postal)

So would you describe your own news feed as an echo chamber?
I don't have a news feed.
In the mean time here's another rant: Activision says their new Call of Duty game is going back to WWII and it's going to be "deeply respectful" of that conflict and those who fought in it. Sounds good right?
I remember the original Call of Duty. On LAN parties (back in the day!) we used to get higher scores for headshots and rifle-butt killings.

Oh. I thought you meant some sort of aggregator e.g. Yahoo news or Facebook feeds.

Oh. I thought you meant some sort of aggregator e.g. Yahoo news or Facebook feeds.

I mean, those count too even though those do eventually create an echo chamber due to the algorithm constantly tweaking what it shows you.

Well that was ehat I referred to, and I imagine so did Takh.

Don't drink tea, coffee or other caffeine drinks late at night and come off your various screens at least 30 minutes before going to bed. You may also want to get a red-screen filter for your phone.

Those should help minimise the stimulation of your brain when you're trying to get to sleep.

I got a note on our door warning us that we were violating our lease because our dogs bark too much. This is billed as the best dog-friendly apartment complex in the city but here we are.

The manager is not really wrong either. The dogs are terrible barkers. We positively reinforce them (there's four treat bags strategically placed around the house), we take them on daily walks. We love them and play with them.

They are just extreme barkers. It's never going to change and it's sad. I've had one dog for 10 years but thanks to the hit I took on taxes this year, we can't afford to move out - and that wouldn't fix the root problem anyways.

My wife recently said she was ready to give up her dog. His barking and distinct lack of house training finally broke her - for a couple of days anyways before she changed her mind. Hell we bought a rug doctor to shampoo our carpets every other week just to keep the place from smelling of his piss. He's constantly marking. And barking.

I'm at my wits end with these two and I'm in a position where I don't have any other choice but to give them up anyways. So there's some relief in that anyways.

It's going to break my wife's heart though. I'm not looking forward to this conversation.

Last edited:
I got a note on our door warning us that we were violating our lease because our dogs bark too much. This is billed as the best dog-friendly apartment complex in the city but here we are.

The manager is not really wrong either. The dogs are terrible barkers. We positively reinforce them (there's four treat bags strategically placed around the house), we take them on daily walks. We love them and play with them.

They are just extreme barkers. It's never going to change and it's sad. I've had one dog for 10 years but thanks to the hit I took on taxes this year, we can't afford to move out - and that wouldn't fix the root problem anyways.

My wife recently said she was ready to give up her dog. His barking and distinct lack of house training finally broke her - for a couple of days anyways before she changed her mind. Hell we have to vacuum our carpets every other week just to keep the place from smelling of his piss. He's constantly marking. And barking.

I'm at my wits end with these two and I'm in a position where I don't have any other choice but to give them up anyways. So there's some relief in that anyways.

It's going to break my wife's heart though. I'm not looking forward to this conversation.

It's unfortunate but with urban living, being housebroken is basically a necessity for any pets. It wouldn't be as big of a deal if you had a big yard and the nearest other person was 100-200m away. :/

I count being housebroken as a necessity in any environment, urban, suburban or whatever. It's always caused a ton of friction between me and the Mrs. because I wanted to get rid of him almost immediately whereas she's been extremely attached to him since the moment she met him. It's taken 2 years of constant misbehavior for her to finally say out loud she wanted to give him up and even that didn't last.

A big part of me is actually relieved at the thought that this warning (actually our second - the first was over the phone) may provide the catalyst necessary to get her to face reality.

We've spent hundreds of dollars in medical care for them both in shots and check ups (they go to the vet more than I do the doctor and dentist combined) and a small fortune in surgeries for the older dog to treat constant bladder stones. We're about to pony up for new dog food that will likely run about $50/bag just for her condition too. I work at a minimum 11 hour days, usually 6 days a week, yet I still manage to put aside the time to get up at 430 am and walk them. We're good owners and we love them but they are kind of nightmare.

I count being housebroken as a necessity in any environment, urban, suburban or whatever. It's always caused a ton of friction between me and the Mrs. because I wanted to get rid of him almost immediately whereas she's been extremely attached to him since the moment she met him. It's taken 2 years of constant misbehavior for her to finally say out loud she wanted to give him up and even that didn't last.

I feel you on this hobbs as I've had similar battles with my wife over pets in the past. The way I dealt with it was by adopting the stance of "if you want a pet, fine. I'm not going to help you take care of it though, you're on your own with that." After a few months of her being the only one taking care of the animal, she usually gives it up out of exhaustion and frustration. Did that with her guinea pigs and her iguana and it worked like a charm. Did it with the bulldog too, but she didn't give her up because that dog was very low maintenance (which is surprising for a bulldog). Not that I minded anyway because she was actually a pleasant dog to have around and (you'll appreciate this given your current situation) she didn't know how to bark so she was a very quiet dog as well. Except for the snoring. That was ridiculously loud.

I've found with bulldogs they're either completely sedentary or hyper little rockets. Never in-between.

I've found with bulldogs they're either completely sedentary or hyper little rockets. Never in-between.

Ours was sedentary, but could be goaded into some high energy playing if you tried hard enough.

Ours was sedentary, but could be goaded into some high energy playing if you tried hard enough.

My family had a chihuahua/jack russel mix that was also completely sedentary. She'd do the bare minimum of any physical activity no matter what, even when outside.

When Native American flute music was being played loudly, though... then she was a hyper little thing. She'd also howl along with the wolf howl background tracks. Odd dog.

My wife recently said she was ready to give up her dog. His barking and distinct lack of house training finally broke her - for a couple of days anyways before she changed her mind. Hell we bought a rug doctor to shampoo our carpets every other week just to keep the place from smelling of his piss. He's constantly marking. And barking.

Have you tried anti-bark collars? One type sends a mist of a scent they dislike at their snout when they bark, and the other type uses electric shock.

I didn't know 'breaking' an animal was meant to be literal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom