The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takhisis

¡Patria y vida!
Is it an Australian or an American schooner?

Takhisis

¡Patria y vida!
'k. You've got to know these things when you're a king, you know.

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
I'm going to try and get drunk tonight for the first time ever. My dad can't handle alcohol and my stomach gets a bit queasy after even a sip of wine, so I've probably inherited a low intolerance. But I need to try it at least once.

How far should I go?

Last edited:

Snerk

Smeghead
Stop when you start to feel an urge to post in OT.

Seriously though, if your body doesn't like alcohol it's stupid force it upon it. OTOH I totally understand the curiosity behind trying out drunkeness once just to see whats what. IDK buy a few beers or ciders and take it slow and see if you discover an element of a pleasure in there somewhere. If it's just queasiness, then why bother? There are both more enjoyable and less harmfull drugs out there.

MaryKB

Goddess Queen
Supporter
I'm going to try and get drunk tonight for the first time ever. My dad can't handle alcohol and my stomach gets a bit queasy after even a sip of wine, so I've probably inherited a low intolerance. But I need to try it at least once.

How far should I go?
Oh dear, I hope your experiment goes well for you and you don't get sick, or worse. Getting drunk isn't really all so wonderful, and if you go too far you can really have an unpleasant experience, and having been there a few times myself it's totally not something I'd recommend.

I enjoy drinking a little wine, I find it makes me feel rather happy, but I do feel you've got to find that sweet spot between where you're feeling good and when you're starting to get sick, and I think it's really hard to describe how to know when you're there. Basically once you get to that point where you're feeling good, that's time to stop, because even after you stop you'll still keep getting effects for a while.

I'd recommend if you're going to drink, make sure you do so in company of people you really trust who'll have your best interest at heart (and won't find it funny if you get sick), and can take care of you if something goes wrong.

Synobun

Deity

How far should I go?

Remain active and do it at a slow burn, if you are really insistent on it. Many/most people make the mistake of chugging while they're seated, wondering why they aren't drunk, chugging more, and then realizing they didn't feel anything because they were just lazing on a couch instead of being up and about.

Benefit of doing it slowly is that you remain in control of intake and how far it goes. Benefit of remaining active is that it won't sneak up on you and it keeps you informed of what you can actually do (since, the more you drink, the less capable you become).

The queasiness can be a tolerance issue, or a stomach issue, or just a I-specifically-don't-like-this-alcohol issue. Get a few different kinds, see which you prefer. Contrary to popular belief, alcohol does not need to be disgusting or merely a vessel towards getting slammed. If the queasiness gets worse as you drink more, stop. If you overdo it when your body specifically doesn't appreciate alcohol, you're going to feel terrible for days afterwards. You can combat some of the nausea by not having an empty stomach. A lot of people pair alcohol with foods. You can use this as an opportunity to try out different pairings if that's something you enjoy. I don't/didn't, but it works for some.

Samson

Deity
How did it become a thing to call someone who is in charge of a particular area of policy after a particularly despotic monarch who is mostly famous for being so evil and incompetent so as to trigger the first successful communist revolution? For example "Drugs Czar".

Broken_Erika

Play with me.

How far should I go?
Lot's of water and don't do it on an empty stomach. Do it after a full meal.

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
He wants to get wasted.
So that is not the best advice in this case ;).
(it's good though if you want to go out and have fun)

How far should I go?

You'll be doing this at home, or elsewhere?
At home: Until you feel that you need to vomit, that should be enough.
Elsewhere: If you cannot follow a conversation for a minute, you lost people/don't know where they are, or are obviously missing them (e.g. where's X? - Dude, he's standing right over there). Actually, that might be a tad bit too late. Because like... you still need to get home somehow safely.

As recommended: Stand up, don't sit down, move a bit.
If your stomach is a problem, then try shots.
Don't do them too fast (3< 30 minutes should be too fast, I think... but that's my own XP, and I'm not that resistant either).

Drink water before you go to bed (should then give a bit less headache).
Have paracetamol or ibuprofen for the next day. Not aspirin, since aspirin iritates the stomach, as does alcohol.

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
It's a cocktail bar in the next town over, but I have easy bus/train transport back.

Is it typical for bars to look dingy on the outside but nice on the inside?

Last edited:

Synobun

Deity
It's typical for the reverse, and typical for them to look the same outside and inside. :dunno: For avid drinkers, finding the perfect bar is an aspiration.

shadowplay

your ad here

How far should I go?

If it's really "the first time ever" then its not going to take much, and you won't be able to gauge well if you're taking it too far until it's too late. Take it slow, and please be careful.

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
I got an Old Fashioned, could barely finish. I did feel a tiny bit unsteady afterwards, but it was easy to push down.

Lexicus

Deity
Old fashioned is not what you want to start with if you're just getting into drinking. Try something like a rum and coke or vodka cranberry. Something sweet and simple.

Synobun

Deity
Old fashioned is not what you want to start with if you're just getting into drinking. Try something like a rum and coke or vodka cranberry. Something sweet and simple.

I got started with vodka and energy drinks.

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
I asked for beer, but he said it was a cocktail bar and they didn't have it. So I just went with his recommendation.

Why is an Old Fashioned not for new drinkers?

Last edited:

Lexicus

Deity
Why is an Old Fashioned not for new drinkers?

It's complex and has a lot of bitter taste to it. Most people have to acquire a taste for bitter things. If you liked the taste of it, power to you - you'll probably like a lot of different craft beers.

One slightly more "respectable" cocktail you might like is the "dark and stormy", which is dark rum (or less commonly, whiskey), bitters and ginger beer.

I got started with vodka and energy drinks.

For taste that's fine (personally I found Red Bull and watermelon Smirnov to be a winning combination), but it should be noted that combining alcohol with stimulants is dangerous, especially for inexperienced drinkers.

BenitoChavez

Elderly Tortoise
How did it become a thing to call someone who is in charge of a particular area of policy after a particularly despotic monarch who is mostly famous for being so evil and incompetent so as to trigger the first successful communist revolution? For example "Drugs Czar".

The title of Czar originally comes from the Roman imperial name of Caesar which was the name the all of the Emperors of Rome took. Later some European monarchs named themselves using derivations of Caesar (Czar/Tzar, Kaiser). So in the modern day the title is informally given to people who have a lot of political power as a sort of homage to historical tradition.

Synobun

Deity
For taste that's fine (personally I found Red Bull and watermelon Smirnov to be a winning combination), but it should be noted that combining alcohol with stimulants is dangerous, especially for inexperienced drinkers.

At the time, stimulants had essentially zero impact on me. If I did it now I'd probably need an ambulance. :lol:

Question for the MMO-inclined: I have both Elder Scrolls Online and Star Trek Online installed. In the past, I somewhat enjoyed Runes of Magic. I greatly enjoyed The Old Republic (particularly that I could play it entirely alone and mute everyone else).

For someone who prefers playing alone and not actually interacting with others, which would be the better MMO to dive into? I'll end up playing both but I'd like the first choice to be the better one.

I enjoy both Elder Scrolls and Star Trek, so fandom preference is a no-go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom