The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The provincial government installed a smart thermostat system for me in order to help save the environment, and I bought some extra sensors for it and now it's even smarter.

I have been looking at the data and I think I need to put reflective yet see through tinting on two of my windows. How would I go about doing that? I don't want things to look much different if you look out of these windows.. but more importantly I don't want the sunrays to heat up the rooms during the day as much, I want the sunrays to bounce off and go away. If these two needs are incompatible, then so be it, I'll use whatever best solution there exists. But what should I be using and would installation be easy?

The provincial government installed a smart thermostat system for me in order to help save the environment, and I bought some extra sensors for it and now it's even smarter.

I have been looking at the data and I think I need to put reflective yet see through tinting on two of my windows. How would I go about doing that? I don't want things to look much different if you look out of these windows.. but more importantly I don't want the sunrays to heat up the rooms during the day as much, I want the sunrays to bounce off and go away. If these two needs are incompatible, then so be it, I'll use whatever best solution there exists. But what should I be using and would installation be easy?

There are a whole lot of suppliers for window tint film. Google and choose would be all I can suggest, since even if I knew a good brand availability in Canada may vary. By and large you get what you pay for, so I would avoid the "super discount deal" stuff, but there's no real need to go to extremes...film is film, beyond a certain point.

One way reflective is pretty standard fare. It will give you some amount of dimming from the inside, but you can get that pretty well minimized.

Application on flat window panes offers many opportunities to fumble around, and can lead to the annoying bright uncovered edge strip where you cut it too short that no one but you will notice. However, people of minimal skills apply window tint to car windows, which is a whole lot harder to do, so I am confident you will be fine putting it on.

Oh, please, stop being a lemon.
Here's a piece of advice. Never look up "Lemon Head" on google images. Unless you want to go blind.
the horror. The Horror!

I missed a line in Solo.

Spoiler :
Lando and L3 are settling into their seats in the Falcon and he asks her something like "What do you want?" I couldn't make out her reply, but people in the theater laughed. Trying to derive something out of what I had heard, I thought her answer might be "Equal pay," which would be a funny thing for a character in a Star Wars movie to say. Is that what she said? Or what was it she said?

OI! TAKE THAT TO THE APPROPRIATE THREAD!
Here's a piece of advice. Never look up "Lemon Head" on google images. Unless you want to go blind.
the horror. The Horror!
I'll heed your advice (you don't get this often, do you? :)).

There are lots of things it's not safe to look up on an image search.

I am staying in a hotel in Toronto, and the breakfast is in a restaurant open to the public, so that most people pay directly for their meal, but I get a voucher from the hotel so do not pay. Should I tip?

I am staying in a hotel in Toronto, and the breakfast is in a restaurant open to the public, so that most people pay directly for their meal, but I get a voucher from the hotel so do not pay. Should I tip?

Depends on the service. If they are setting out the food, and it's self serve, then no. If they are taking your order and serving it, I'd say yes.

Streaming, baby, streaming.

Sometimes people with pet birds let them out of their cage. How do they keep them from pooping everywhere?

Sometimes people with pet birds let them out of their cage. How do they keep them from pooping everywhere?
They don't. They clean up afterwards.
My parents had pet birds, they gave them free range in the house. They generally pooped in their perching areas, and ate all the wall-trim, and ate the stereo's speaker wires, and chewed the top off all the buttons on every remote they could find, and regularly dive bombed the dogs, and the lovebird did unclean things to a stuffed flower....

Hey, at least the lovebird lived up to its name.

I have a smart thermostat and sensors throughout my home, and I have been paying attention to the numbers over the last couple days in an effort to try to make things more efficient around here.

The various graphs and reports also show me outdoor temperature. I have noticed that humidity shoots up way high at night (up to 90%+ even), but then goes down in the morning. Or at least that's what happened the last 2 nights and pretty sure the night before that too. Humidity indoors is not nearly as high but follows similar patterns.

What's responsible for this and does it happen every night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom