The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, are you into Star Wars or is it just something you happened to play? What do you see in the gameplay?

I've read every single Star Wars book, watched every single Star Wars movie several times, same with the TV shows, played most of the modern games, have been involved in Star Wars roleplaying groups, and my one and only completed novel was in the Star Wars fandom.

It's okay, I guess.

I found the questing enjoyable in SWTOR. Stories were cool. Didn't require untoward grinding. I don't like what they did with Revan but it's a comparatively minor aspect of the game. Most of the Revan stuff, IMO, was kept vague enough to fit with KOTOR 1&2 except for the expansion.

Wine makes me sleepy. Every alcoholic beverage I've tried has a different effect on me. Margaritas feel like they put a force field bubble around me. I would want bourbon to steel me if someone had to deliver bad news.

Wine makes me sleepy. Every alcoholic beverage I've tried has a different effect on me. Margaritas feel like they put a force field bubble around me. I would want bourbon to steel me if someone had to deliver bad news.

If I ever need to induce vomiting, I just need to drink beer. The yeasty taste has an immediate stomach-turning effect on me.

@Synsensa do you play Battlefront 2 at all

No, it sucks.

EA is the worst.

Unless you mean the real Battlefront 2. In which case, still no. :lol: The last SW game I played before SWTOR was KOTOR 2. Although maybe I'll do another play-through of Jedi Outcast soon.

:lol: The new ones are so bad I managed to drive my knowledge of their existence out of my brain. Now I'm kind of annoyed you reminded me of them :mad:

I'm talking about the real one. It's like $1.25 on steam sales or something, get it and we can spend nights killing battle droids :)

That game had some of the best dialogue of any game I've ever played in my life.
"The droids have seized our flag! Metal scum!"

I'm sad the 2nd gen Battlefront games were so lame. I had some hopes as DICE had made great online shooters in the past. But the decline started with the Bad Company. The focus shifted from teamwork to solo with killstreak buffs and stuff. In Battlefront 1 you couldn't even ride two people in a AT-AT. So lame. I did enjoy the game for a while but it had no long term potential for me. It was probably also the last online shooter I'll ever get any good at.

Question for the MMO-inclined: I have both Elder Scrolls Online and Star Trek Online installed. In the past, I somewhat enjoyed Runes of Magic. I greatly enjoyed The Old Republic (particularly that I could play it entirely alone and mute everyone else).

For someone who prefers playing alone and not actually interacting with others, which would be the better MMO to dive into? I'll end up playing both but I'd like the first choice to be the better one.

I enjoy both Elder Scrolls and Star Trek, so fandom preference is a no-go.

I haven't played Star Trek Online, but I've played The Elder Scrolls Online far enough that I've finished both the main quest, the Ebonheart Pact quest line and the Orsinium DLC. I played The Elder Scrolls Online almost as a single player game, the main quest can only be played single player. Only certain dungeons need a party of several players and those are marked on the map. The most interaction I've had with other players is that when fighting enemies, other nearby players may join in. It can be helpful when fighting a difficult boss.

I haven't played Star Trek Online, but I've played The Elder Scrolls Online far enough that I've finished both the main quest, the Ebonheart Pact quest line and the Orsinium DLC. I played The Elder Scrolls Online almost as a single player game, the main quest can only be played single player. Only certain dungeons need a party of several players and those are marked on the map. The most interaction I've had with other players is that when fighting enemies, other nearby players may join in. It can be helpful when fighting a difficult boss.

Does it have multiple storylines or just the one?

Does it have multiple storylines or just the one?

It has one story line based around your character, but I did finish it before the Morrowind expansion came out and that changed the beginning of the game. Each of the three factions has their own quest lines independent of the main quest, once you finish one quest line along with the main quest, you can continue with the remaining two faction quest lines.

Okay, cool. That makes it feasible to do a run of STO and then a run of ESO before switching back. I tried going through SWTOR over and over again but burnt out after the second storyline.

Thanks. :D

I tried WoW again recently and it seriously felt like a single player game. People just don't talk to each other most of the time.
This is why I don't play MMOs these days and haven't for, now that I think about it, some years. It's a place for lonely people to be playing together but not stop being alone. I'd rather go out with a friend in the rain, buy a pizza and have a night in. I did that just a couple weekends ago, when talking on the phone we both discovered we'd either get together or spend the following eight hours playing videogames and/or watching random YouTube videos by ourselves and we decided it would be sad.

Well, that and the fact that my life is screwed up* and I don't have a credit card, so paying for subscriptions and such means bothering people who really don't mind taking my cash for it but it makes me feel as if I were getting a handout.

*not-so-slightly less screwed up than a couple years ago, but still needing straightening out

That system sounds a lot like SWTOR's.

I think STO is leading so far. :D
I played STO for a bit and you definitely don't have to interact with other players at all and you don't miss anything that way. The Borg incursions we're fun and we're played with other players (not against) and that was really the only time I interacted with anyone.

Is Star Trek Online fighting all the time, or do you have missions that where you don't have to just destroy things but actually play like Star Trek? I haven't gotten very far in it so far, but if I knew I wouldn't be spending 99% of my time fighting something, I might get very interested. I really like what I'm reading about being able to select and create your crew, and even customize your uniforms, that's really super appealing to me, but I'd like if there are story things involved. Do you get to spend time on your ship doing things, or do you just fly from battle to battle? Thank you very kindly! :)

Is Star Trek Online fighting all the time, or do you have missions that where you don't have to just destroy things but actually play like Star Trek? I haven't gotten very far in it so far, but if I knew I wouldn't be spending 99% of my time fighting something, I might get very interested. I really like what I'm reading about being able to select and create your crew, and even customize your uniforms, that's really super appealing to me, but I'd like if there are story things involved. Do you get to spend time on your ship doing things, or do you just fly from battle to battle? Thank you very kindly! :)

I'm level... four? I just saved a freighter crew.

Not too sure how to feel about this game, tbh. I'll probably post more in the video game thread. Thus far the gameplay's been just fighting or looking at conversation screens.

Unfortunately, the gameplay in STO is pretty much all fighting. Your character does a lot of diplomacy, a lot of repairing of damaged equipment, but the developers put almost none of that in the hands of the player. For example, there's no engineering mini-game where you have to figure out how to realign the magnetic field around the warp core before it destablizes, no medical minigame where you figure out how to sequence the cure to the airborne pathogen that's turning your crew into three-eyed monsters. You just press the button that says "make it so" and your character does it. There are a couple of very simple puzzles, but they're hardly worth mentioning. The combat is a hoot, but the developers were really dismissive of everything else. I remember when the game was under development, one of the lead devs insisted it wouldn't be "World of Warcraft in a Star Trek skin", but that's exactly what it is. I mean, it's a well-done and enormous version of that, but it's also a big lost opportunity for a game that was different. Besides the starship combat, it's a bog-standard MMO with Star Trek accoutrements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom