The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

Report from the front, dated 8th May, 1940

''Sir, it is with regret that I inform you that the German tatic of 'Blitzkrieg' is proving to have a devestating effect, not only in it's efficency but also the way it has demoralised the French and Belgian troops. Whilst my BEF boys will do their part for King and Country, I have no desire to see them all killed, thus I must urge that a back up plan be drawn up, should we need to withdraw from France in a rather hasty fashion. Your faithfull servant, Lieutenant General Davo''

The Sound of Drums: To the Last Man - A Company of Heroes AAR
Part One​

15th October 1939 - May 8th 1940

The 1st CFC Infantry Division had come together on the 20th October 1939, not long after the war had begun. The Peck-Nodikus Recruitment Act had recently been passed, designed at creating a massive 18 infantry divisions for the duration of the war. The intention was for these divisions to form the backbone of the British Army throughout the war - they would be trained, deployed, see victory and finally be disbanded.

Those that joined with what was to become the 1st CFC Infantry Division were only there through chance, nothing set them apart from any of the many thousands of other volunteers who would be assigned to other divisions. Similarly there was nothing particularly remarkable about the division itself, as it was given the same training and equipment other infantry divisions would receive. It was what the 1st CFC Infantry would come to do that would ultimately set it apart.

A platoon of the 1st CFC Infantry during a defence drill in southern England

There were just two months to train the men before deploying them to some part of the British Empire. This meant they had to be brought up to physical strength, learn the basics of small-arms combat as well as be taught the elementary aspects of infantry tactics. Sometimes they were taught tactics that had been created as a response to the unfolding battles on the continent - as the lessons of Poland were made clear to High Command, troops began to notice a stronger emphasis on anti-tank defence drills and stronger co-operation with the artillery regiments.

The 18th December 1939 saw the first three “Peck-Nodikus” divisions created. Two of those divisions, including the 1st CFC Infantry, were to go to France to reinforce the BEF. Poor weather over the Channel and a desire to let the newly trained troops enjoy Christmas saw their departure delayed until the 28th, arriving at Calais the next day. If any of the men felt queasy from their voyage, then they got the chance to walk it off as the division began an 8 day march south to Reims, finally arriving at their destination on the 7th January. Here they joined up with the 1st Infantry Division under General Wavell’s VII.Corps, and finally began the job of creating a defensive position for when the German’s turned west.

A clearly staged shot of Major-General Davo with his men.

From December, Major-General Whyte was in charge of the 1st CFC Infantry, and it was under his charge that the division prepared its defensive trenches and fortifications. He encouraged his regiments to work closely with the artillery brigade attached to the 1st Infantry Division, basing most of his strategy on heavy bombardment of the enemy to deter or weaken their attack, or even as a precursor move before launching a counter-attack. It was under his command that the 1st CFC Infantry became an efficient, cohesive fighting force, learning far more from Whyte than at any point in their training. It came as a double blow for the Division then, when he was killed by enemy aircraft on the same day the Germans launched their invasion of the west.

In his place came ComradeDavo. Despite coming from a traditionally military family, as well as having serving in the Great War and ending it as a colonel, he was a Member of Parliament when Germany declared war on Poland. He had attempted pursuing a political career following the war’s end, joining the Conservative Party in 1921 but never really progressing from the backbenches. His active role in the Imperial Defence Council in its waning days got him noticed however, and when he announced his desire to return to military service he was granted a promotion to major-general and given command of the CFC 1st Infantry Division.

He had quite the legacy to live up to. Within a week of his arrival in Reims it was announced that the Netherlands was overrun, and that the Germans would be in France in days. He had very little time to prepare his division or effect any many changes, all he could do was wait for the German attack and trust that his men’s training and organisation would be enough to hold the line…

We shall hold the line sir! I assure you my men are the finest there is in what is indeed a very fine army!

Still though if the Unified Intelligence Taskforce has any suggestions for an exit strategy should the Germans break our lines, that would be appreciated. I'm looking at you Rabidveggie, Swed14, KaiserWilhelm09, Sir_schwick, Toda, Riptide_Monzarc, Steviejay, Dimaliok, Potatokiosk and Peck of Arabia !!!

------------

Also nice touch with the addition of Company of Heroes! :goodjob:

I shall have to get that game at some point, it looks good!

I was planning on using COH to illustrate whats going on in India, sadly the game looks so good you can do nothing and still look tough and doesn't fit the "dicking around" look I was going for :p

Kan (or anyone who has the game) let me know if you're up for a match.... the computer is becoming a tad predictable

Canadians? In MY government!?

Ehem. Do you want to keep Egypt or not?

(OOC: I got CoH with my graphics card, but I don't have the expansion and it's not the kind of RTS I like or care to play. I wouldn't mind using it for Egypt but yeah, no Brits in mine :(

We shall hold the line sir! I assure you my men are the finest there is in what is indeed a very fine army!

Still though if the Unified Intelligence Taskforce has any suggestions for an exit strategy should the Germans break our lines, that would be appreciated. I'm looking at you Rabidveggie, Swed14, KaiserWilhelm09, Sir_schwick, Toda, Riptide_Monzarc, Steviejay, Dimaliok, Potatokiosk and Peck of Arabia !!!

Ahem...UNIT is only an advisory board, you should probably appeal to the Chiefs of Staff :p

I've shifted your rank down one to Major-General, as I think that's the one that commands individual divisions. A Lieutenant-General would command 2 or more divisions, such as Wavell, who is your immediate superior being in charge of the VII Corps.

I was planning on using COH to illustrate whats going on in India, sadly the game looks so good you can do nothing and still look tough and doesn't fit the "dicking around" look I was going for :p

Kan (or anyone who has the game) let me know if you're up for a match.... the computer is becoming a tad predictable

Might take you up on that sometime, though I would imagine the lag would be horrendous. I'm currently desperately training myself in how to use the British army for this AAR, as I prefer the American Airborne in matches.

Ehem. Do you want to keep Egypt or not?

(OOC: I got CoH with my graphics card, but I don't have the expansion and it's not the kind of RTS I like or care to play. I wouldn't mind using it for Egypt but yeah, no Brits in mine :(

Sadly CoH has no desert maps, as it's all set in western Europe. I'm probably going to switch to Codename: Panzers if we send the 1st CFC Infantry to you.

Next update will be back to the Sound of Drums as it's always been. To the Last Man is merely my spin-off series :p

I loved Company of Heroes, but I didn't like Opposing Fronts so much, mostly due to the British faction. Vanilla COH had a fluid, flowing feel, but matches with the Brits tend to end up as some tedious nut versus nutcracker game. Really put me off the multiplayer. :/

As I've mentioned a couple times before though, I'd be up for some CFC COH action.

Good update! :goodjob:

Might take you up on that sometime, though I would imagine the lag would be horrendous. I'm currently desperately training myself in how to use the British army for this AAR, as I prefer the American Airborne in matches.

Mein Gott, I can't stand the Americans after playing as the Brits

of course it helps that the artillery skill set is modeled after the Royal Canadian Artillery company :p

I always liked the Wehrmacht myself, for the Tiger tanks. The Americans were pretty fun as well. Never really familiarized myself with the OF factions.

@Captain... don't get me started on the Brits and their frakkin' arty. :twitch:

I preferred the US just to airdrop in oil and munitions and their devestating air strikes, which fits into my preferred defensive stance. I liked Tigers but they are too few to change a game in your favor. I eventually got sick of the game after I was glitched out of a win online.

CoH is nice, but I have never tried out the expansion though. Wait, we are in the middle of a war and what's in god's name are we talking about?
I strongly oppose trying to encircle the Huns at Dunkirk or Calais, after all, what's stopping them from supplying their encircled army from the sea?
It's not that I don't have faith in Admiral Cleric's and the Royal Navy, but it is not difficult for a few of their transport to slip past our blockade and resupply them.

If their army is sufficiently supplied, a great benefit from encircling them will be lost.

Gentlemen, I urge you to consider this before risking the life of our lads out there.

(Looks murderously at Kan)

How. Did. You. Get. Opposing. Fronts. Working? :(

CoH is nice, but I have never tried out the expansion though. Wait, we are in the middle of a war and what's in god's name are we talking about?

Ha, sorry COH was a bit of a pet game for me for most of last year, played about 350 games of it online and wasn't badly ranked on the 2v2 ladder either. :ack:

For the situation in France, I don't think this is any time to be taking risks with the channel ports. Holding them should be a critical part of our plans, and they should be the fall back point if we are forced back by the Nazis. The last thing we want is to strand the BEF inland.

In regards to a back up plan, I was under the impression that the plan we had devised was a fall back to a fortified line, which would be held until the evacuation of the mainland could be completed. I feel that this evacuation, however, should not commence unless it seems that we would be unable to hold the line. If we can keep a foothold in mainland Europe, it will greatly benefit us once we being to take the offensive ourselves, preventing a costly D-Day-esque invasion of a fortified seawall.

In regards to a back up plan, I was under the impression that the plan we had devised was a fall back to a fortified line, which would be held until the evacuation of the mainland could be completed. I feel that this evacuation, however, should not commence unless it seems that we would be unable to hold the line. If we can keep a foothold in mainland Europe, it will greatly benefit us once we being to take the offensive ourselves, preventing a costly D-Day-esque invasion of a fortified seawall.
From which French port would you reccomend the evacuation? I fully plan for my men to hold the line, it's just i don't want to have to write letters to all their mothers should the Germans break through....and I have no desire to see myself as a POW either!

Also fighting here is very intense, I worry that the French and Belgian troops are not as well equipped as our boys and suffer against the advanced German weaponry.

i believe we should make our evacuation point the Brittany Coast... the way it juts out into the Atlantic makes it a natural holding point, as we have only one front to defend there. Thoughts?

My preference would be for Calais, but as long as we have an open and secure line of retreat on the northern coast of France then it doesn't really matter where it is.

Hopefully though we won't even need one!

i believe we should make our evacuation point the Brittany Coast... the way it juts out into the Atlantic makes it a natural holding point, as we have only one front to defend there. Thoughts?

Depends on how well we can suplly it, but I would say that we just use the nearest port we can get most of our troops too.

Top Bottom