Civilization VI for Mac now available on Steam

Xyth

History Rewritten
Hooray! Runs OK on my mid 2011 iMac with an AMD Radeon HD 6970M. Cmd-Tab works reasonably well; sound shuts off, but the game still takes up a lot of CPU. Edge of screen mouse scrolling works the same as it does in the Windows version.

Graphics performance isn't awesome, but it's playable. At "minimum" graphics the benchmark runs at about 30 FPS. I've got some modified "Medium" setting now that the benchmark runs at 10 FPS. Not bad for 5 year old hardware with a laptop GPU.

Save games look to be compatible with the Windows version. At least they load OK. On my Mac they are in ~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Saves/ I found my Windows saves from my Bootcamp partition in /Volumes/BOOTCAMP/Users/Nelson/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization VI.

Last edited:
I would like to play on a new mac book air. It has an Intel 6000 video card. Can someone let me know if they have played it on something similar. Vim willing to play with lower end graphics.

Is there a way to benchmark w/o buying the game? I'm super hyped to play but I'm worried my graphics aren't good enough.

This is what I have -
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB/ Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Quick first impressions:

It runs on my 2012 Mac Mini with Intel HD 4000 graphics and 16GB of RAM
All graphics settings on low
Benchmark mode indicated 12FPS in the late game

So far so good ;)

Had to quit out of Bootcamp when I got the tweet to come over and install. Downloading now!

Thanks Aspyr for the quick turnaround.

Very quick first performance impressions on the 1 GB 650M (full specs in my sig):

I apparently spent the first hour of my two available before I can return it if I need to hours farting around with different graphics settings and testing out the benchmark mode, which is genius, but the way. It autoplays a few turns of a simulated late game large map (the largest, I presume). I got about 8-12 FPS, apparently with the benchmark tool. I settled on settings which gave me about 10 FPS (which surprisingly is not too bad, despite it sounding "low") with still pretty high settings. Having shadows off seems to be the biggest non-detail related setting affecting performance, as expected. Aside from that, I turned anti-aliasing on low, high res asset textures off, because who cares, dynamic lighting (multiple light sources) off, high quality shaders off, and high detail clutter off, because to me the clutter is the ugliest part of the graphics anyway, and left everything else on high. I'm getting 40 FPS at the start of a standard game, having founded my first city.

Haven't seen how leader animations work yet.

Edit: Leader animations seem choppy unless I keep them on low. Hopefully they'll stay ok on low throughout the game (though I've just tested my own leader, Pedro, so far).

Also, Pericles' beard is blindingly white in my game, for some reason.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I don't see the folder (/Sid Meier's Civilization VI) when i go to LIBRARY/APPLICATION SUPPORT on my mac. I'm using the newest version: Sierra OS. Hmm... Anyone else with this problem?

Hmmm... I don't see the folder (/Sid Meier's Civilization VI) when i go to LIBRARY/APPLICATION SUPPORT on my mac. I'm using the newest version: Sierra OS. Hmm... Anyone else with this problem?

It's in the user/Library/Application Support/Steam.

I would like to play on a new mac book air. It has an Intel 6000 video card. Can someone let me know if they have played it on something similar. Vim willing to play with lower end graphics.

I bit the bullet and bought it. With all of the graphics on low, I was getting 10-12 fps in th benchmark test.

Installing now. Will update soon.

mid 2014 13 inch
3ghz intel core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris 1536 MB

Game seems to run fine on low settings. Althought that was only 10 turns in. I have no clue what it will be like 150 turns in! My pc will prob be my go to. On Medium settings the turns took like 10 seconds. low, about 5 seconds. (which is sh*t) My Pc is about 3 seconds? give or a take if its late game. Also, I put on quick movement and combat.

I'll mess more with it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Using a Mac Book Air
1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
And it WORKS. So far so good anyway. I haven't messed with the graphics yet and I'm not very deep into the game, but so far so good!

Good thing I didn't wait yesterday (came out at around 2:30 am for me). Just downloaded it now and tried the benchmark mode: 15 fps, despite being not supported. But now off for work. Happy playing to all of you!

Last edited:
Figured out the white/shiny hair thing on the leaders... had to turn shadows back on. *sigh*. Now I'm trying to find another option to adjust to compensate, performance-wise.

It runs like a dream on my iMac, although admittedly it is a high-end machine (see sig). I prefer to play in a window and have found that 2048 x 1152 (60Hz) fits best.

Very quick first performance impressions on the 1 GB 650M (full specs in my sig):

I apparently spent the first hour of my two available before I can return it if I need to hours farting around with different graphics settings and testing out the benchmark mode, which is genius, but the way. It autoplays a few turns of a simulated late game large map (the largest, I presume). I got about 8-12 FPS, apparently with the benchmark tool. I settled on settings which gave me about 10 FPS (which surprisingly is not too bad, despite it sounding "low") with still pretty high settings. Having shadows off seems to be the biggest non-detail related setting affecting performance, as expected. Aside from that, I turned anti-aliasing on low, high res asset textures off, because who cares, dynamic lighting (multiple light sources) off, high quality shaders off, and high detail clutter off, because to me the clutter is the ugliest part of the graphics anyway, and left everything else on high. I'm getting 40 FPS at the start of a standard game, having founded my first city.

Haven't seen how leader animations work yet.

Edit: Leader animations seem choppy unless I keep them on low. Hopefully they'll stay ok on low throughout the game (though I've just tested my own leader, Pedro, so far).

Also, Pericles' beard is blindingly white in my game, for some reason.

Hello, all! New to the fora here, was wondering if anyone else had this issue.

I'm running an upgraded Mid-2009 MacBook Pro. I updated my O.S. to El Capitan today so I could play Civ VI. Seeing as I'm running an old machine that can only keep up with modern programs thanks to a new SSD, I knew I was taking a risk. However, I've been able to run programs like Stellaris adequately (although with some slowdowns here and there) provided that I turned down the settings, and so decided to take the plunge anyway.

However, as soon as I got to the main menu I noticed something strange: many of the U.I. elements weren't displaying properly. The Civilization logo wouldn't display, I cannot see scroll bars or check boxes, and the backgrounds for drop-down menus do not display. I honestly cannot comprehend this. Sure, I only have 250MB of VRAM to work with, but the main screen shouldn't be giving me any problems.

The only thing I can think of is that I might need to upgrade my graphics card drivers, which I am looking into. Either that, or Spotlight is still indexing and thus wreaking havoc. Nonetheless, I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has had similar issues or has any insight.

Full specs, should anyone care:

Mid-2009 MacBook Pro.
Mac OS X 10.11.6
2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo
8GB Ram
1TB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB

Has anyone got any feedback on how well it runs on 2014 or 2015 MBPs?

Please say it runs smooth and with not too painful time between turns?

MacbookPro Retina 15in Early 2013. 2.4GHz i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, nvidia GT650M 1024Mb (basically the provisional minimum specs before Aspyr revised them upwards). Benchmarking with everything low gives me average 10fps (rate almost always between 8 and 13fps). Not ideal, but it looks playable to me. (And I presume it benchmarks on a large map - I'd play standard). I'm in.

Top Bottom