Storm Over Europe (SOE)

I'm not 100% sure I am following you here, but if the AI is only loading 1 unit instead of multiples, perhaps you could do what they did in the AoI Deluxe scenario, and only allow the army to load 1 unit, but increase the HP bonus of the army itself? That seems to mitigate the 'AI stupidity' factor regarding armies pretty well.

Hi Sasebo, the Army units in SOE (here the remaining tankbataillons) are set to additional HPs and only allowing one unit to load. As posted I made tests with army units carrying only one tank-unit and providing additional 4 HPs (upgrading tank companies that have the "tactical missile flag" to tank bataillons) and infantry units with the "foot"-flag providing infantry regiments to infantry divisions by also adding 4 additional HPs to the unit. These tests showed no satisfying results for the AI by upgrading foot-units. So the "infantry-army-units" were cancelled as the advantage for the human player would have been too big.

Also, as an alternate nomenclature system possibility, I will suggest what I have seen in a couple scenarios, where instead of say, "Ark Royal CV", it would be "(CV) Ark Royal". This has the advantage of making the ships stand out a bit from the land or air units when you right click on a city, and keeps the same types of ship together so you can see at a glance what you have there. I find that very helpful myself when playing. I realise that is a lot of work, so if you like that I am willing to do the renaming for the BIQ file if you want, either before or after you finish any update you are working on.

Sasebo, thank you very much for your offer. :), but last week I sent the next SOE biq to Simon Darkshade for the naming cosmetics he suggested. When the biq comes back, I have to change some more settings in the biq (p.e. to set some unitproducing buildings to special governments and to adjust two worker jobs and some other settings). Than the SOE betatest biq v1.3 will be uploaded (together with an patch that hopefully will fix all other reported errors).

Also, I'm not sure naming the artillery units is worth it, they do seem to die on me fairly often. :lol: Good units though!

At least nearly all the preplaced units are named and historical OObs were used for them. :)

The new SOE betatestversion 1.3 is ready for upload.

Additionally the SOE patch was massively enlarged. The SOE Patch-15-04-12 attached below includes all features of the old version of the patch. Simply unzip the patch and copy and paste it over the old existing files of SOE.

A special thank you very much for reporting errors, glitches and improvements to the following civers:

Haddu, kadavrali, Niminator, rwan5, mrdan017, RickFGS, Civ3Monki and especially to AnthonyBoscia, who also contributed two fixed graphic files for SOE.

Added new features:

Game-Concepts:

Italian, French and British ships now enabled from start of the game to speed up turntimes
No more road-building between Britain and France possible
MV-bonus for Arty on LM terrain removed
Culture removed from most "happiness buildings" (p.e. cathedral, Stadium, etc.)so these buildings are not always razed when a city is conquered.
Many autoproducing buildings are now government specific.
The locked alliances are renamed to Axis, Western Allies, Soviet Union and Neutrals
Russian BR-2 Mortar that was prefered by Russian AI to tank production is now autoproduced
Hedgehogs in Hungary and partly in Romania removed

Map:

Funchal, Angra do Heroísmo and Ponta Delgada: Changed to Portugal and fixed in spelling
Convoys: Spelling fixed

Worker jobs:

Clear wetland: Border Terrain (former Special Terrain) terraforming to terrain that allows also passing by units with the wheeled flag: Tech Early 1941
Clear Forest: not any longer possible
Roads: much faster to build, (2turns)

Graphics:

Advisors graphics Mussolini (AnthonyBoscia) and Hirohito fixed
City background fixed (AnthonyBoscia)
Resource file updated
Many wondersplashes added or fixed

Buildings:

9th USAAF fixed
5th Indian fixed

Units:

Pz IIIE now upgrades to Pz IIIH and the pillage flag is removed
Nebelwerfer: paradrop flag removed
B012 Sexton:wheeled flag removed
B132 Cruiser MKI (A9): upgrades to Valentine tank
I011 Piaggio P-108: typo fixed
New Orleans Ca Class: Upgrading fixed
U071 Baltimore CA Class: INI fixed
German pak-40AT: Invisibility removed
J041 Chi-Ha/AttackA.flc: fixed
Tank transporting ships added

Last edited:
Minefilieds, how do you get pass them without killing the nation who built them? :eek: I have tried bombing them, firing on them from ships, but nothing seems to work???? :cry: Does a nuke work? :confused::wallbash::aargh::badcomp:

Playing as Germany, I've just reached the start of 1940. I've already cracked the Maginot Line, should be able to steamroll into France soon. However, my Polish campaign is dragging out far too long, partly because I've pulled out a major portion of my units and turned them westwards. Even when I pull these units out early, it may take some infantry units 3 to 6 months to reach the western frontline, Ark Royal sank two of my U-boats, and my Luftwaffe had in effect destroyed the French Air Force.

I also have this issue of having some units that are inmovable which shouldn't be, including my SS motorized divisions and StuG III in Allenstein and practically the entire Afrikakorps, or is it supposed to be that way?

Minefilieds, how do you get pass them without killing the nation who built them? :eek: I have tried bombing them, firing on them from ships, but nothing seems to work???? :cry: Does a nuke work? :confused::wallbash::aargh::badcomp:

The minefields are an element of gamebalance to prevent unrealistic situations in the early game. If you don´t like them, you can delete them in the editor - and, yes, they can be destroyed, but you have to pay a price. :)

Playing as Germany, I've just reached the start of 1940. I've already cracked the Maginot Line, should be able to steamroll into France soon. However, my Polish campaign is dragging out far too long, partly because I've pulled out a major portion of my units and turned them westwards. Even when I pull these units out early, it may take some infantry units 3 to 6 months to reach the western frontline, Ark Royal sank two of my U-boats, and my Luftwaffe had in effect destroyed the French Air Force.

Thank you very much for your report Angelle. :) When playing SOE in the highest difficulty level as Germany, with a little luck and a good strategy catching all Polish cities including a line Danzig-Warszaw-Lwow in turn 1 is possible.

I also have this issue of having some units that are inmovable which shouldn't be, including my SS motorized divisions and StuG III in Allenstein and practically the entire Afrikakorps, or is it supposed to be that way?

Yes, this is intended. :) In September 1939, these units were not available. For reasons of gameplay these units are preplaced on the map and can be upgraded to mobile units when they appear in history. This is one of the big advantages of setting the techtree to a calendar in SOE. With the "tech" Land 41/I the core units of the DAK and with the wonder "Operation Barbarossa" the units in East-Prussia come to life (the same for the Allies with Operation Torch, D-Day and some more).

Hi all,
Civantor i'am speachless even typeless, this looks like an epic mod.
I just finished downloading and installed with the patch and the 1.3biq
I love the way you use'd the Industrial Sprawl graphics to show major cities.

I started as Germany on General, is this your recommed setting?
Also not changing the rec/tax/lux, by this you mean keep as the 5/5/0 default?

I have a lot of Questions on the setup of the biq file, i hope you don't mind?

All civ's are set up to recive 1 Combat Engineer "CE", but a few civ's (Swiss and Ireland) have no starting point.
I noticed this starting as Germany, as i saw a Swiss "CE" up near Narvik.
Not shure what you intended here, but removing the "CE" from the start up of each civ may be a way, or give every civ a start location.

Grassland and Plains have the plant forest worker job checked.
This means any Grassland or Plain tiles, be they the normal ones or the LM type can be changed to a forest and thus enable roads.
As a Human player it's possiable to connect the Microzones:
Do the AI Workers ever plant forests?

The Border Terrain i think is setup to act as a barrier to Flaged Wheeled Units?
As it's set up to be removed by the teck Land 41/1 thus not allowing flaged wheeled units to cross this barrier, untill the "CE" can remove and then place roads on the terrformed grasslandland tile.
In 1.3BIQ Border Terrain is set as to enable roads.

Is the LM hills allowed to be irrigated? if so can a better graffic image be used, as i irragited a few and they look like irrigated grassland.

It's hard to define which type of terrain when right clicked on, ok they have the LM ext.
Can Grassland LM be renamed to for example Countryside, at least at qick glance a player knowes no roads possible.
The same goes for the forest, one could be woodland. Plains/Farmland another idea, ran out of ideas for hills.

A 3 road movement as is, will take a one movement unit 5 turns, for ex German eastern troops to re-deploy to the western areas of the map, in game time thats 5 months, Gees i could crawl faster than that.
Not only crawl but crawl back also.
I am not quit shure what is the best play blanace here, mabey up road movement to 4 if not to 5.
If not an option how about pre-placing certain major cites with a rail link to each other with in their each curtural borders, disabble build railroad from the "CE" units?

There is also a civ.exe ver of the noraise and no uint limit!

There is another quirk i have about pre-placed city pop, as from your 1st post you explained certain cities/towns have x ammount of pop due their historical pop count.
This may hamper the AI, as the 1st placed by that civ has 1st choice on land tiles, so if it's large it will grabe all the city tiles, thus not allowing a close 1 pop town to ever expand or get more shields.
The AI can not micro mannage.

I frirst noticed this when playing AOI, so what i did was reduce the pop of certain cities and or add a resourse that only that city can use\and create a spicif resorse to boost pop or prod. This lead to a more balanced AI city pop and i am guissing shields.

AS for the no-raise-no-unit-limit, this exe works as i played with over 3k uints and the the no-unit had little efect on game speed.

I now have to kick this 8 year+ old pc to try an end Turn 1!

Yes, this is intended. :) In September 1939, these units were not available. For reasons of gameplay these units are preplaced on the map and can be upgraded to mobile units when they appear in history. This is one of the big advantages of setting the techtree to a calendar in SOE. With the "tech" Land 41/I the core units of the DAK and with the wonder "Operation Barbarossa" the units in East-Prussia come to life (the same for the Allies with Operation Torch, D-Day and some more).

Aright man! Now I can really enjoy this mod with no more nagging issues. :)

Hi Grimwar, thank you very much for your massive input to SOE. Your post is of big use for the development of SOE:):goodjob:

I started as Germany on General, is this your recommed setting? Also not changing the rec/tax/lux, by this you mean keep as the 5/5/0 default?

Every civ can be played in SOE, even Ireland or Swiss. Nothing shpould be done to the luxury/Science/gold-slider. You could get somewhat more gold or happiness by it, but you can´t speed up science.

All civ's are set up to recive 1 Combat Engineer "CE", but a few civ's (Swiss and Ireland) have no starting point. I noticed this starting as Germany, as i saw a Swiss "CE" up near Narvik. Not shure what you intended here, but removing the "CE" from the start up of each civ may be a way, or give every civ a start location.

This is still a very early betatest biq of SOE, but I had to go to the public even in this early state of the scenario to receive input as it is yours or that of some other posters in that thread.

These "homeless" Combat Engineers are not intended and will be fixed with the next biq, that also contains Simon Darkshade´s additions to the unit names. Thank you for reporting this error. :)

Grassland and Plains have the plant forest worker job checked. This means any Grassland or Plain tiles, be they the normal ones or the LM type can be changed to a forest and thus enable roads. As a Human player it's possiable to connect the Microzones: Do the AI Workers ever plant forests?

I disabled the chop forest flag from workers, but I have forgotten to even close that "backdoor" you reported. I will disable that option, too. Another thank you very much for reporting this glitch. :)

The Border Terrain i think is setup to act as a barrier to Flaged Wheeled Units? As it's set up to be removed by the teck Land 41/1 thus not allowing flaged wheeled units to cross this barrier, untill the "CE" can remove and then place roads on the terrformed grasslandland tile. In 1.3BIQ Border Terrain is set as to enable roads.

I thought I had fixed that problem. Roads must be disabled on such a terrain. I will have a look on that.

Is the LM hills allowed to be irrigated? if so can a better graffic image be used, as i irragited a few and they look like irrigated grassland.

It´s not intended to irrigate hills in SOE. This must be fixed, too. Thank you for reporting it. :)

It's hard to define which type of terrain when right clicked on, ok they have the LM ext. Can Grassland LM be renamed to for example Countryside, at least at qick glance a player knowes no roads possible. The same goes for the forest, one could be woodland. Plains/Farmland another idea, ran out of ideas for hills.

That´s another good idea from you. :) Thank you very much for this input. :):)

A 3 road movement as is, will take a one movement unit 5 turns, for ex German eastern troops to re-deploy to the western areas of the map, in game time thats 5 months, Gees i could crawl faster than that. Not only crawl but crawl back also. I am not quit shure what is the best play blanace here, mabey up road movement to 4 if not to 5.If not an option how about pre-placing certain major cites with a rail link to each other with in their each curtural borders, disabble build railroad from the "CE" units?.

Raising the movement rate for roads unbalances the blitz attack of many units. I tested teleport settings with the hacked editor and a special airlift system switched to special railroads. But none of these testings convinced me. At present I experiment with a preset (real) railroad connection from Königsberg over Berlin to Cologne. I´m not sure if this will be introduced to SOE.

There is also a civ.exe ver of the noraise and no uint limit! AS for the no-raise-no-unit-limit, this exe works as i played with over 3k uints and the the no-unit had little efect on game speed.

Yes, such an exe exists -but with the current settings until now no MUA was reported and that exe also has some glitches (with more than 512 cities) and it is not known, if there are some additional glitches we don´t know yet.

There is another quirk i have about pre-placed city pop, as from your 1st post you explained certain cities/towns have x ammount of pop due their historical pop count. This may hamper the AI, as the 1st placed by that civ has 1st choice on land tiles, so if it's large it will grabe all the city tiles, thus not allowing a close 1 pop town to ever expand or get more shields. The AI can not micro mannage.I frirst noticed this when playing AOI, so what i did was reduce the pop of certain cities and or add a resourse that only that city can use\and create a spicif resorse to boost pop or prod. This lead to a more balanced AI city pop and i am guissing shields.

This will be outbalanced with special bonus resources in later versions of the SOE biq.

Hi all,

I'am realy loving this SOE-Mod. :goodjob:

Operation Fall Weiss, the conquest of Poland as a starting point for Germany and Russia in history is well done. :ar15:
The conquest of Polish cites either by the Germans or Russians on their side of the border should be very swift, leaving (played as the Germans) a very large and mainly moible army ready to deploy else where.

The computer i use is arround 8 years old. Amd-1.8 GHz, 768Mb Ram and a 64mb Nvidia Geforce MX card. As you can see this is realy out dated and i dreaded the end turn as reported on eairler posts as taking over an hour.
Well :clap: 1st turn while playing as Germany took 31 mins. The next few turns also took arround 30 mins. but i think was mainly due to the ammount of airial attacks against me.
Gees even the Russians bommed Warsaw with about 20 bommers on turn 3, hurt a few uints, killed some of the population and destroyed some city buildings. Man are they going to be sorry for that .
Talking of been bommed, i had a Combat Engineer on the oil near Rommel´s Camp improving it and the brit's, also arround turn 3 distroyed the road. Lost my oil supply. Geer, their in for it also.

The Me-109E has been put on proirty builds in manny cities, they will soon dread attacking German air space.
While some some minor loses have been incured in cities with-out air cover, a huge sucess has been achived on Polish, Duch and Belgium troops. The Ju-87 Stuka has proven to be a deadly weapon of war. High Command also ordered 2 more to be built.

Naval operations on the baltic sea was a huge sucess, the sinking of Polish and Danish vessels was only surpassed by our armed forces drive on Poland.
Captains Kretschmer and Schepke recived the Iron Cross for outstanding sinking of enemy shiping by their Type VII U-boat's. :band:

I must say i realy love'd that you inclued U-Boat Aces, :love:
A side note: You may change your stratgery if you like to keep histrocial unit's alive.

Now for the bad news.

The Habour improvment connot be built in manny costal cities, it has the fresh water flag checked, thus if no river or lake in city screen it can't be built.
This may be a pre-place building in otherwise not build-able cities and if bommed by ariarl attacks, may no be replaced?

Units cannot heal within own borders?
I actulay have no idea on this, i looked in the Biq and found no reason why. Unless it's some setting iam not aware of?
I ruled out the conquest.exe i'am using (no-raise-no-unit limit) as i have played with it in a few mods and never had this happen before.

There is a road link just below Brussels, allowing the Mediterranean City resource to German cities, it's on the grassland LM/Station Signal 2 tile.

It's possable to build a road link between Warsaw and Breste after Land 41\1 and also between Szczuczyn to Breste, Szczuczyn to Byalistok, a few lake's may remove this problem.

I built the Graf Zeppelin Class carrier and i have no aircraft that can deploy to it. I looked in the BIQ and only the Me-109T and the Ju-87T Sea Stuka can use carriers, but these aircraft need both the Special City/Harbour resources?

Their is no Health warning :deal: It's your fault i cannot sleep!

Bye for now.

edit; Removed mountain road comment, never tried it :)

Hi Grimwar,

thank you very much for your reply :) and sorry for the delay in the answer.

The Habour improvment connot be built in manny costal cities, it has the fresh water flag checked, thus if no river or lake in city screen it can't be built. This may be a pre-place building in otherwise not build-able cities and if bommed by ariarl attacks, may no be replaced

The additional "fresh water flag" must be removed from that building, the flag "coastal" is enough. Thank you very much for reporting that error. :)

Units cannot heal within own borders?

Here I need more information. Landunits should heal within the borders of their civ -sea units must be in a city (at the coast) for healing.

There is a road link just below Brussels, allowing the Mediterranean City resource to German cities, it's on the grassland LM/Station Signal 2 tile.

Again thank you very much for reporting that gap. It will be closed. :)

It's possable to build a road link between Warsaw and Breste after Land 41\1 and also between Szczuczyn to Breste, Szczuczyn to Byalistok, a few lake's may remove this problem.

This is intended, as after Land 41/1 Operation Barbarossa is started. What must be removed, are the city resources (special cities) of Brest and Pinsk as they would be connected to other cities of a civ after a road can be constructed there.

I built the Graf Zeppelin Class carrier and i have no aircraft that can deploy to it. I looked in the BIQ and only the Me-109T and the Ju-87T Sea Stuka can use carriers, but these aircraft need both the Special City/Harbour resources?

In the present setting this is intended, but the TrGr 186 in Königsberg uses the wrong Me-109 version. In the next biq, the TrGr 186 will use the Me-109T (that can operate from carriers). The Stuka/TrGr 186 using the Ju-87T (Sea Stuka) can be found in Stettin. Additional German carriers can only use their long-range-bombardement to symbolize the planes on board of these carriers. With these settings it should be avoided to have too many blue Stukas and Messerschmidts on the map and that Germany becomes too dominant at sea in early turns.

General information:

A new biq, based araound Simon Darkshade´s additions to SOE and an updated new mainfile, fixing tons of the reported errors of SOE and WW2 Global Gold and adding some new units (especially some of Gwendoline´s new tanks) is in work. :)

Can't download the main file. Don't know why, but I think it is a server connection - download starts, but goes nowhere.

EDIT: The download is indeed very, very slow.

EDIT: Downloaded and now playing as the Bulgarians. First impression - Stara Zagora and Pleven are not geographically accurate. Stara Zagora is where Pleven should be (even better place Veliko Tarnovo at its place, as it was a more important town during the war), and rename Pleven to Vidin.

Can't download the main file. Don't know why, but I think it is a server connection - download starts, but goes nowhere.

EDIT: The download is indeed very, very slow.

EDIT: Downloaded and now playing as the Bulgarians. First impression - Stara Zagora and Pleven are not geographically accurate. Stara Zagora is where Pleven should be (even better place Veliko Tarnovo at its place, as it was a more important town during the war), and rename Pleven to Vidin.

AvalancheMaster, thank you for your interest in SOE. I have the feeling at present the complete internet is working somewhat slowly (especially CFC). Your input about Stara Zagora, Pleven and Veliko Tarnovo is noted and the names will be changed with the next biq. :)

Well, to be honest, I didn't enjoy the game because of the long terms. It was just impossible to see what's happening, and for three hours time, I made only 3 turns, and they took me 2 minutes to complete each.

Still, this is indeed a great mod, with many things that I want to try, and a great setting - it's just not my cup of tea, as a whole.

Spoiler The Map :

Here's a reference on the Bulgarian territory. As you can see, Pleven is to the east of Sofia, not above it, and Stara Zagora is in Southern Bulgaria (that's south of the Balkan mountain, running in the middle of Bulgaria). On the place of Stara Zagora is Veliko Tarnovo/Gabrovo, though with the scale of the in-game map I see no problem to put Pleven on its place.

As for the current position of Pleven, I'd go with Vidin, though Vidin is on the Danube. Also, there are no mountains west of Vidin (current Pleven), but the area is indeed hilly.

And another tweak I might do, is to rename Haskovo to Plovdiv, as Haskovo is (and was) a small town near the border, whereas Plovdiv is (and was) more of a center for the region. It is still the second (though the whole conglomeration of Varna is actually bigger, I'm speaking about the administrative division) largest town in Bulgaria.

I will give the mod another chance, just not today.

Your Mod has got a big bug. :sad:
The unit can't move.
The stug can't move.He has got 1 point mouvement.He can't move.
Lot of units bug(because it can't move,it is immobile)exemple: stug,artillery,german division(infantry ?),Project Dora.

Bug: http://imageshack.us/f/37/bugfa.png/

Thanks for reed my message.

The unit can't move.
... because it can't move,it is immobile.

The immobile units aren't moving.

Link to video.

The calendar allows to trigger events in C3C, a feature many civers have always missed in Civ 3... if you look into the calendar of the first phase of WW2, in Land41/I you can see the start of Operation Barbarossa and the Africa Corps, in Mid 1941 you can see the Russian Mobilisation and so on. These great military operations allow the upgrading of units to units that can cross special border terrains or of "range-1-planes" to the full range or give other benefits and therefore a better dating of starting and finishing great military operations is possible.

Your Mod has got a big bug. :sad:
The unit can't move.
The stug can't move.He has got 1 point mouvement.He can't move.
Lot of units bug(because it can't move,it is immobile)exemple: stug,artillery,german division(infantry ?),Project Dora.
Thanks for reed my message.

Hi, Some units are pre-placed and cannot move, these units will be avaible when and if you up-grade and can then become a moible unit.
These units are pre-placed to reflect the WW2 production or military influx at a time in context to this scenario.

For example the StuG Bn. Viking in Kosice will up-grade to a German StuG III after the Early 1940 teck.

Takes like 15 minutes for the end turn to finish. Transport steamer won't leave the city after building it? Kinda complicated and incomplete civopedia leaves a lot of questions. It's amazing though. Why don't any other scenarios use the urban sprawl for their cities? The map is great.

Top Bottom