[MAP] Planet-/Moonmap of TETHYS 100x50

Osymandias

Grand King of Apes
Salve! :D
Because i had unscheduled freetime today and didn't know what exactly to do with i have decided to try me on a new map:

TETHYS
Dimension: 100x50
Size: Huge
Player: 11
Startingpositions: 11
Options: Standard
Victories: Standard

Tethys is like Dione a moon of Saturn --> Tethys-Wiki

Tethys is a cold world. Only a small belt around the equator has a acceptable landscape with large forests and some green. In the south and north of the belt a cold and dark weather rules the landscape with widespread tundras and deserts of ice. The rare lakes are partial covered with ice floes.

Have fun and tell me your opinion :D

/update: 30.07.2006 warlords-version of this map in the zip
/update after 44 dls, 04.08.2007: BtS-version of this map in the zip

Attachments

• Tethys_orig.jpg
    Tethys_orig.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 837
Do you think you could do maps of other bodies in the solar system in a 16 by 32 size and projection similar to the one in the attached map of Earth? (Its a world builder using smart map)

I need Mercury, Venus, Luna, Mars, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Titan, Triton and Pluto.

Please.

Attachments

• EarthMap.zip
    9 KB · Views: 176
that's ironic. i wanted to start a earthmap with this projection this weekend :D

i can do those maps for you, but i need the maps in this projection. i think i can't do those projections for myself. and i only have some usable maps of mars, luna, venus and callisto. from all other i can't find any good maps, especially for pluto since the resolution of our telescopes aren't good enough.

but i will give it a try :)

Tholish said:
Do you think you could do maps of other bodies in the solar system in a 16 by 32 size and projection similar to the one in the attached map of Earth? (Its a world builder using smart map)

I need Mercury, Venus, Luna, Mars, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Titan, Triton and Pluto.

Please.

i have done mars venus and titan so far

What I had in mind was an artfully rendered bipolar projection with the long axis and wrap in Y. (Like 2 scrambled eggs). I can't supply a bmp for something like that, it doesn't exist. Also mercury, mars, and luna should use only plains, hills, peaks, and the ice and flood plain features. Venus should use only desert, hills, peaks, and flood plains. Io should have plains, hills, peaks, ice, flood plain, and desert. The other jovians, triton, and pluto should be made of snow, hills, peaks, flood plains, and ice. Titan should be mostly tundra, but could include a little coast, snow, hills, flood plains, and ice. (The really good stuff of most solar system bodies is found at the poles. They are relative wastelands only on Terra.)

This is of course for my hard sci fi mod. Is it a faux pas to solicit assistance here? If it's too challenging I can do this myself, but I thought it might intrigue some people who are already into doing planet maps. Ultimately it will all go into a long strip with strips of ocean in between, hundreds of squares long and only 32 high. The oceans will be 12 squares wide with 3 squares of fallout at the edges where they touch planets. A larger size would be OK, but I think this one will work just right.

/update: 30.07.2006 warlords-version of this map in the zip

/update after 44 dls, 04.08.2007: BtS-version of this map in the zip

What I had in mind was an artfully rendered bipolar projection with the long axis and wrap in Y. (Like 2 scrambled eggs). I can't supply a bmp for something like that, it doesn't exist. Also mercury, mars, and luna should use only plains, hills, peaks, and the ice and flood plain features. Venus should use only desert, hills, peaks, and flood plains. Io should have plains, hills, peaks, ice, flood plain, and desert. The other jovians, triton, and pluto should be made of snow, hills, peaks, flood plains, and ice. Titan should be mostly tundra, but could include a little coast, snow, hills, flood plains, and ice. (The really good stuff of most solar system bodies is found at the poles. They are relative wastelands only on Terra.)

This is of course for my hard sci fi mod. Is it a faux pas to solicit assistance here? If it's too challenging I can do this myself, but I thought it might intrigue some people who are already into doing planet maps. Ultimately it will all go into a long strip with strips of ocean in between, hundreds of squares long and only 32 high. The oceans will be 12 squares wide with 3 squares of fallout at the edges where they touch planets. A larger size would be OK, but I think this one will work just right.

n-n-necropost

i would simply recommend doing this outside of civilization, AI might be a problem, but you'd probably get a better experiance doing your own thing, if not, i would see if you could add some new terrain, titan and other planets are surprisingly earthlike, or have their own features that just wont work with this situation, using flood plains as a food bonus onto things like ice and stuff sounds pretty cool, theres some lava based textures wandering around somewhere as well, ultimately the obnoxious part will be designing all the various buildings that civ seems to like to use,

I share the desire for a nice hard edged space colonization mod, but i have my doubts, expectations would be high and it would be a lot of work to pull it off.

Yeah, that was a long time ago. I actually did this mod for BtS 3.19, its called FutureMod 1.51 and its in the completed Mods section. As you suggest, AI is a minor problem. Its hard to get them to colonize other planets properly. They either see them as other continents and try to start with a coastal colony or nothing or else they expand outward from a center as on a single continent, into nearby space only. I've made some minor SDK changes intended that kind of sort of help a little. Map wise, I just made a set of scripts and what I get is EarthLIKE MarsLIKE TitanLIKE etc... planets. They just use a regular cylindrical wrap. In fact, each planet is one type of terrain, and all other aspects are done with features, bonuses, and plot types. A real map would be excellent. Theoretically, the best way to do planets, though would be diagonal wrap like this: letters represent points (tile edges) on the edges of a square map. Upper and lower case of the same letter wrap to each other. e through E and f through F would be the tropics, a and b and i and j would be the arctic.
Code:
   A   B  C  D  E
a                   F
b                   G
c                   H
d                   I
e                   J
   f   g  h   i  j

Top Bottom