Communitu_79

Letting you all know I did 3 runs on the map with my normal settings except using regular sea level instead of low. I noticed a significantly less barb presence (its practically the difference from changing barb settings to "cool barbs"). So not enough yet to be definitive, but it does seem like the sea level was the cause of my increased barb presence.

Letting you all know I did 3 runs on the map with my normal settings except using regular sea level instead of low. I noticed a significantly less barb presence (its practically the difference from changing barb settings to "cool barbs"). So not enough yet to be definitive, but it does seem like the sea level was the cause of my increased barb presence.
You are invaluable indeed!

Just a question. I like this map but has too much water for my taste, which means you either have to have a massive navy or have no cities on coast. A lot of people like the setup but I don't. I notice opening the lua that their is a percentage of land set at 0.4. If I increase this amount would it work, or upset the balance of everything else. I know about using low sea level, which I always use, but that isn't enough for my liking.

This map actually has more land than Continents. It just has a way longer coastline and more landmasses (think Fractal and Small Continents combined), which can't be fixed by changing land percentage. The most you can do is use Blocky landmass, circumnavigation OFF and Wide rifts.

This map actually has more land than Continents. It just has a way longer coastline and more landmasses (think Fractal and Small Continents combined), which can't be fixed by changing land percentage. The most you can do is use Blocky landmass, circumnavigation OFF and Wide rifts.

If you are playing a naval civ this isn't a problem, but playing other civs is a pain, as although the map may have more land than other maps, as you say this is countered by the longer coastlines. I usually play with low sea level, which I thought made a difference, as it certainly does on other maps, & turn of oceans. Had considered narrowing the rift, but you are saying wider rift will get more land, surely that would have more ocean. I have played with blocky landmass before, & that seems to give you all your own little island, which can be nice but not what I am looking for. I don't want to turn circumnavigation off as that is like playing a region, whereby you cannot get to the other side, without crossing the entire map.

You never mentioned what the percentage of set land, which is 0.40 in the lua does, & how it affects the map. I though highering it gave more land.

The percentage land is used to calculate the threshold for where's water. First thing the map does is to create an altitude map, quite randomly, then it uses the threshold to say which altitude is water, which is land.
User map settings deal with the land percentage later, but it should be safe as long as you don't go crazy with that value.

The percentage land is used to calculate the threshold for where's water. First thing the map does is to create an altitude map, quite randomly, then it uses the threshold to say which altitude is water, which is land.
User map settings deal with the land percentage later, but it should be safe as long as you don't go crazy with that value.

Thanks for the information. To tell you the truth, I never understand how the maps are setup. In my latest game I played on a tiny map with normal amounts of civs & CS, changing nothing, & ended up with mostly land. Yet, if I change things, like lowering the water & other things its covered with water.

It's been a while since I played VP with Community map script and now I'm definitely out of touch.

Could someone give me a brief rundown on what resource settings should I use in order to get the most balanced game experience with Vox Populi on Standard sized map with default (8) number of players?

Thanks!

Communitu_79a v2.2.0 change log:
  • More hills in deserts
    • Flat desert plot has a chance to become hills if adjacent to other flat desert plots. The chance increases with more adjacent flat desert.
  • Lower amount of aluminum
Replace the map in (1) Community Patch\Mapscripts if you're not using a modpack, until the next VP version.

Attachments

• Communitu_79a.zip
    55.1 KB · Views: 647
Communitu_79a v2.2.0 change log:
  • More hills in deserts
    • Flat desert plot has a chance to become hills if adjacent to other flat desert plots. The chance increases with more adjacent flat desert.
  • Lower amount of aluminum
Replace the map in (1) Community Patch\Mapscripts if you're not using a modpack, until the next VP version.

Just noting that neither the front page nor the front page link (that is supposed to link to the latest version) has been updated.

This thread is supposed to be for the non-VP version (which I've stopped maintaining). Communitu_79a updates are included in VP installer packages, but I just need a place to post it early. Maybe I should start another thread in the VP forums?

Here's an example of the new version.

Spoiler :

upload_2021-3-11_11-25-0.png

Though you can see where some hills have blocked farm triangles, on the whole I have a great balance of food and hammers down this river line, perfect spots for city building. I like it!

Last edited:
Just south of Toledo, next to the mountain. There's a desert hill with the colors of a flooding plain. It has 2 hammers.
That happens even if I refresh graphics. We'll just have to deal with it.

Here's an example of the new version.

Though you can see where some hills have blocked farm triangles, on the whole I have a great balance of food and hammers down this river line, perfect spots for city building. I like it!

Wow, you're settling way tighter than I normally do.

Wow, you're settling way tighter than I normally do.

Just depends on the terrain. In this example, I had a lot of resources packed into this small area so it was worth building a lot of cities to take advantage with my progress play (also makes city connections easier for that big science boost).

Something I have learned over time, border growth is SLOOOOOOOWWW. I used to build cities looking at the 3rd ring, but honestly it takes so long to get there, I either never will, or I am spending tons of gold to force it. I find that the immediate 1st ring resources are the most important (a good food and hammer locations will help get your city off the ground much quicker than a poor one), and then the 2nd ring to bring in additional resources, but 3rd ring is for more tradition considerations.

Hi love the edits done to the map script!
Just wondering what is the likelihood of adding a pangea option as well as the current continents and terra?

Top Bottom