Communitu_79

A pattern i seem to notice the more i use the script is resourceless flat deserts/floodplains are more prevalent than balanced desert starts and it kind of screw a lot of starts and create big production-starved cities that can produce nothing and are more of a burden that an asset .... it's even worse when the capital and initial starting location is nothing but flat floodplains/desert with no stones/horses or just hills.

A pattern i seem to notice the more i use the script is resourceless flat deserts/floodplains are more prevalent than balanced desert starts and it kind of screw a lot of starts and create big production-starved cities that can produce nothing and are more of a burden that an asset .... it's even worse when the capital and initial starting location is nothing but flat floodplains/desert with no stones/horses or just hills.
Nothing I can do when the only production bonus resource is stone but people don't want stone everywhere. I suggest an additional bonus resource that doesn't give wonder production bonus.

Nothing I can do when the only production bonus resource is stone but people don't want stone everywhere. I suggest an additional bonus resource that doesn't give wonder production bonus.
i see .... guess i'll just edit my local script to have more stone spawning in deserts.
Thanks for your continued contributions.

I was playing an Emperor standard size Terra start and i had complete dominance on the original continent (7/8 capitals 29 cities total) yet there was not a single coal tile inside my boarders both my own settled cities (Capital on tundra with forests) and the 22 cities i conquered when i discovered industrialization ..... not even within CS borders; I thought there was something wrong on my end may be a graphical bug so i used IGE to reveal the map & resources and yet no Coal in the original continent at all besides literally 2 tiles with 2 coal each and the rest of 77 coal that spawned in the map was on the other side of the ocean and i'm glad that i managed to complete the domination in the early industrial because there is no way i would go across the ocean to settle a city to get a couple of coal tiles.
I double checked the resource distribution settings and there was nothing checked to be scarce.... it would be great to make the late game resource distribution a bit more even.
Spoiler Coal? :

Standard size Communitu 8 civs, 16 CS.
Spoiler 21 coal out of 50 in the entire map located in 3 deposits very close to each other :

As you can see from the minimap i control over 30 cities including 5 original capitals and pretty much every single city besides one Babylonian and one Austrian (These two cities has no coal aswell) and this entire area of the map has one coal tile with 2 copies in a small island near the second Austrian city and one in the Tundra with 7 copies in a previously Babylonian.
I think the coal distribution could use a review of the amount of copies in a single a deposit and the spacing between each deposits if the intent of the resource distribution is to reduce the overall amount of strategics as this does not incentivize trading or conquest but it creates scenarios that are just frustrating most of the time if you constantly get into these situations
Running into the same issue with coal distribution again.
Occupying an entire continent 19 cities without a single coal tile inside my borders out of total 80 copies ofc coal in the map.
Spoiler Coal ? :
CivilizationV_DX11 2021-01-21 12-45-53-253.jpg

For tundra and snow, change line 135 (tundraTemperature) and 136 (snowTemperature) to lower values.

For ice, go to line 4817 and 4818 and lower either odds or oddsMultiplier (or both).

Would changing lines 83 and 84 not do the trick? lines 135/136 seem to move the absolute line for which tundra/snow can spawn but i dont think lowering the odds on ice would stop it from spawning super high sometimes.

Would changing lines 83 and 84 not do the trick? lines 135/136 seem to move the absolute line for which tundra/snow can spawn but i dont think lowering the odds on ice would stop it from spawning super high sometimes.
Depends on whether you want less ice or just push the ice line back.

polarFrontLatitude affects more than just that, so I don't recommend changing that value.

Running into the same issue with coal distribution again.
Occupying an entire continent 19 cities without a single coal tile inside my borders out of total 80 copies ofc coal in the map.
Spoiler Coal ? :
Can you tell me the terrain/feature of each coal deposit on your map?

About the suggestion for increasing the production in flooding plains, I'm more inclined to generate extra hills on deserts. The rationale can be that, as the harsh climate produces sand, sand generates dunes. In terms of coding, it will just be a process that looks for flat desert tiles and give them a chance to become a hill.

About the suggestion for increasing the production in flooding plains, I'm more inclined to generate extra hills on deserts. The rationale can be that, as the harsh climate produces sand, sand generates dunes. In terms of coding, it will just be a process that looks for flat desert tiles and give them a chance to become a hill.

I'm in favor.

Also I'm curious if this is the map in general or just my specific settings. Do people find that they see a LOT of barbs on most runs of the map. I generally find a significant portion of my early game most of the time on the map is dealing with barbs, they are numerous and come from all directions. I am not saying that is "bad", but its consistent enough taht I want to know if others are seeing the same behavior on their map settings?

Here is a common scenario I see:

Spoiler :

upload_2021-2-1_15-43-51.png

Spoiler :

upload_2021-2-1_15-52-38.png

Last edited:
I don't see that many barbs, but I don't play Deity...

I've been using mostly Milae's map recently but I can definitely relate - most of my experience with communitu79 is barbarian fest.
It's weird since I assume map scripts don't interact with that - Maybe it's an overabudance of room, the placement of players and citystates leaving too much room for camps to spawn?

Hmm, what settings do you all use? I've seen this since I was on Emperor, Deity doesn't make them any more frequent from what I've gathered.
King, all in default sizes. We didn't touch anything related to barbarians, so it must be as Grassland Farm said, the location of the city states influence how many unwatched spots are in the map, thus how many barb camps can spawn.

King, all in default sizes. We didn't touch anything related to barbarians, so it must be as Grassland Farm said, the location of the city states influence how many unwatched spots are in the map, thus how many barb camps can spawn.

The explanation makes sense as to why the map generates lots of barbs in general, but not why I am seeing "barb fest" and several of you are not. Again its not every map, but I would say 80% of my games anti-barb play is the number 1 priority early in the game, so I will not be able to make improvements or expand. I play Blocky Shapes, with low sea level, 2 random narrow rifts...maybe its the low sea level doing it?

The explanation makes sense as to why the map generates lots of barbs in general, but not why I am seeing "barb fest" and several of you are not. Again its not every map, but I would say 80% of my games anti-barb play is the number 1 priority early in the game, so I will not be able to make improvements or expand. I play Blocky Shapes, with low sea level, 2 random narrow rifts...maybe its the low sea level doing it?

Low sealevel would definitely contribute towards more open room for barbs to spawn - I rarely play with it, though.

Low sea level is just "more land" behind the scenes.

@tu_79 do you know why the deserts in the map are mostly flat? I'm not familiar with land/terrain generation.

Low sea level is just "more land" behind the scenes.

@tu_79 do you know why the deserts in the map are mostly flat? I'm not familiar with land/terrain generation.
I guess that's how the climatic algorithm works. Higher altitudes means cooler temperatures, thus less probability of desertification.
I'd rather add a few hills than meddling with the climatic code, it could backfire.

Top Bottom