Final Fixes Reborn

The button with scissors-like thingie that calls window, existed since the very game start, I believe. Still, there were no actual "hire" buttons on anyone present before the Trade researched, that was the reason I was asking how the whole system worked. Now I got it.

I got my Imp intentionally killed attacking a mammonth as it was giving a feeling of an overpowered and out-of-place unit for a good civ.

By the way, how come the Ape Troop animal unit attacks two tiles away over a complete coastal line? I mean they are standing on a jungle tile and range attack my fortress captain that is two tiles deep into the other side of the coastal line that divides these two shores... Sure their 2 or 3 tiles range attack is a bug. Maybe they should cast their classic lure spell that makes any living unit chase them and attack them?

Make my Mages actually sit and spend their pants in the Towers instead of roaming the wilderness! ;) Ahaha! Mage held for 20 turns on the plot, when you cannot even choose him, and suddenly you need him on the border - and sorry, he has got 12 turns to go yet! Ahahaha! :D

This is what I did for my original modmod of RifE for enchantment of magic items. Sure you can MAKE those Boots of Speed, if you have all the necessary materials.......

.......but it will cost you (and ironically, Boots of Speed did require 20 turns to make, if I remember correctly.) ;)

Also, if people are interested, we're looking for help writing diplomacy lines for leaders missing them (and also for rebalancing the leaders ai diplomacy values, i've written a guide on how to do it in the download).

Which leaders / which lines?

Good GOD, 3D Max is *SUCH* a crappy program. I don't know *HOW* it became a "standard."

I've about given up on putting custom models in game. I finally managed to get one in game, using a non-standard rig, but of course, the animations don't work and the archaic design of Max, I can't figure out something as simple as adding a bloody texture to a model, when in Maya it's just a few, simple clicks.

We may be resigned to only using humanoid models, as I can bind models to skeletons and export them from Maya to have them work in game.
If you are still interested in getting custom skeletons into the game I could have a try on your files. I managed to get some in-game in the past using Blender and NifSkope and I remember that some settings in the kfm/kf files had to be adjusted using NifSkope.

I downloaded the latest beta but have problems playing it. I already had earlier version of this mod so just made this to a new folder.

When I started playing it threw an error about not being able to compress saves or something along the line. I fixed it by deleting the BtS folder in My Games what the game auto-creates if it's not there. But now when I try to play the mod always crashes on ending the first turn. It doesn't create a log file or anything so I'm not sure how to fix this. Does it conflict somehow that I have "Ashes of Erebus" folder with the old mod in it and made this new to "Ashes of Erebus 2"?

possible though unlikely. did you start a play now game to reset all hidden options ? that could cause some issues too. If that still happens, try deleting the XML folder and the cvgamecoredll file in Assets and update again. It might be some corruption issue. (what civ and with which options were you playing? Do you have the initial autosave so that i can test it ?)

Deleting the folder in libraries and starting the game with "play now" gave a new error message about videos not installed correctly. But I did the deletion and re-downloading of that stuff you mentioned and it worked. I didn't see it relevant to mention that I had edited the speed/difficulty/world size files, because I always edit them without problems, but perhaps I made a mistake there somewhere. Anyway the mod works now and next time I will be more thorough in my debugging before yelling the internet for help. Thanks!

If you are still interested in getting custom skeletons into the game I could have a try on your files. I managed to get some in-game in the past using Blender and NifSkope and I remember that some settings in the kfm/kf files had to be adjusted using NifSkope.

Thanks. I'm still messing with Max 8. I bought it years ago, but never really liked it, so I stuck with Maya. I haven't quite figured it out yet. I can get a skeleton in game; it's the animations I'm having problems with.

I've just been spending way too much time at work to have a chance to sit down and mess with it.

I am using your Female Trooper model for Feris, though. With a few modifications and new textures. ;)

Thanks. I'm still messing with Max 8. I bought it years ago, but never really liked it, so I stuck with Maya. I haven't quite figured it out yet. I can get a skeleton in game; it's the animations I'm having problems with.

I've just been spending way too much time at work to have a chance to sit down and mess with it.

I am using your Female Trooper model for Feris, though. With a few modifications and new textures. ;)
At least with Blender it was the case that the exported animations had some settings changed which gave Civ4 problems using them. Could be fixed with NifSkope though. So maybe Maya does something similar that can again be adjusted using NifSkope.

Also I noticed that with the Female Trooper, that is in fact how I got to this thread in the first place. Sometimes, when I have not much else to do, I search for name in the forums to see if somebody does something with the stuff I uploaded. It is always interesting to see and I really like it when people make good use of my work. :)

Wonderful news! Evidently, I got hit with that BS corruption issue with the latest "update" to Windows 10. Long story short, I lost my entire drive. -_- It's going to take me a while to get back up and running........

I just went back to Win 7. They won't be getting another dime from me.

Hello AoE team. I was lurking for quite sometimes but this project is so good i can't helped but to register and says congratulations for keeping this modmodmod+ alive and i'm really appreciate all your efforts in fixing bugs, adding new features and whatnot.:goodjob:

There are a few things i wanted to ask about, the first is modules. Currently i'm playing the SVN version with:
Advanced workers
Saila the Everchanging
Lizard art fix
Keepers of Noggormortha
Werepyre
Populated Cottages(might be the only modules from old RiFE that still works)
And all of the default active modules.
So far, everythings work perfectly for a times. But then i tried to add a Jotnar modules (JotnarL by LPLate). Then it gives me CtD every single time i try to start a custom game. Even after i disabled the module and deleted it. I end up delete the entire AoE folder, let it rollback all the files and solved the problem.

My question is, is there any other place do i have to look at and clean up whenever i install/uninstall modules other than the modules folder itself? And what does "Update schema files" in the module manager do and do i have to use it?
And those two inactive modules apart from Jotnar, the Loyal Corrupt and the MPL. What are those?

Now to the bugs(or not). the flying horses are very annoying because it can flee even from a 0% withdrawal chance battle. Back then i remember have to set up 8 animal hunting galleons and trap all tiles around the horse to capture it much like when i try to kill Loki. I never hunt them again in the latest version but is this intentional or a bug? And i saw some sort of flying mount promotion in the pedia that make it sounds like i can attach a pegasus to other unit and grant them flying ability. But when i caught it i can't do anything like that(can only create flying mount stable building). So is this ability in or currently just a placeholder?

And lastly, i saw some talk about mercenaries. In the latest revision and even a button to hire them directly instead of waiting for a pop up(i did get it quite frequent). Did i got it wrong? And if not then where is that button?

That's all my question for now. Also, apologies for a wall of text and bad grammar.

Hello AoE team. I was lurking for quite sometimes but this project is so good i can't helped but to register and says congratulations for keeping this modmodmod+ alive and i'm really appreciate all your efforts in fixing bugs, adding new features and whatnot.:goodjob:
Thank you very much
There are a few things i wanted to ask about, the first is modules. Currently i'm playing the SVN version with:
Advanced workers
Saila the Everchanging
Lizard art fix
Keepers of Noggormortha
Werepyre
Populated Cottages(might be the only modules from old RiFE that still works)
And all of the default active modules.
Those should be a bit old and might not work perfectly. I could update them if there are people interested in them.
So far, everythings work perfectly for a times. But then i tried to add a Jotnar modules (JotnarL by LPLate). Then it gives me CtD every single time i try to start a custom game. Even after i disabled the module and deleted it. I end up delete the entire AoE folder, let it rollback all the files and solved the problem.
Same as the others you mentioned, JotnarL is based on an old version of RifE/AoE so has compatibility issues, but since it's much larger than the other modules, it crashes more easily.
My question is, is there any other place do i have to look at and clean up whenever i install/uninstall modules other than the modules folder itself? And what does "Update schema files" in the module manager do and do i have to use it?
deleting the cache folder would probably be a good idea ( it's in C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/My Games/Beyond the Sword/)

And those two inactive modules apart from Jotnar, the Loyal Corrupt and the MPL. What are those?
the jotnar module that's included in the download is an ongoing clean-up and rework of the jotnar civ. At this point, it should not cause initial crashes, but may not work very well.
The Loyal/Corrupt is a small module that replaces the Good/Evil axis with Loyal/Corrupt, it's purely graphical but has been requested by some.
The MPL is something we need for technical reasons.

Now to the bugs(or not). the flying horses are very annoying because it can flee even from a 0% withdrawal chance battle. Back then i remember have to set up 8 animal hunting galleons and trap all tiles around the horse to capture it much like when i try to kill Loki. I never hunt them again in the latest version but is this intentional or a bug? And i saw some sort of flying mount promotion in the pedia that make it sounds like i can attach a pegasus to other unit and grant them flying ability. But when i caught it i can't do anything like that(can only create flying mount stable building). So is this ability in or currently just a placeholder?
i need to look into the pegasi, they do have a tendency to flee a bit too much. as for the flying ability, i think it was an autrin-only ability at some point. I'll look into it.

And lastly, i saw some talk about mercenaries. In the latest revision and even a button to hire them directly instead of waiting for a pop up(i did get it quite frequent). Did i got it wrong? And if not then where is that button?
That's all my question for now. Also, apologies for a wall of text and bad grammar.

Once you get the Trade tech, a new menu appears on the top left part of your screen. It lets you recruit mercenaries. I'm interested in some feedback about them since i didn't get much and it can be quite unbalanced.

Hi, I could not keep myself calm as you discuss the Pegasi. :)

I really loved that they always happen to flee. It is not that difficult to kill them though if you figure it. You will need two units. The horse will always flee once, but it cannot flee twice a turn. So that is a cool feature. As I said, you have two units, the second one with two tiles movement points left. So you hit it with your 1 unit. The Pegasus flees one tile. You reach it with your second unit and destroy it. If your second unit has a Subdue Animal, you gain that Pegasus.

(btw could you lower the Subdue unit chance from 100% to some 30% or even 25% as MoM had please? That might be more realistic)

A very useful unit, really, the Pegasus. ;)

1) When you put it to defend a stack, it always defends it and flee, so you never lose it until it is hit twice a turn!

2) If you bring it to any of your cities, you will have a button to establish a post office - the military units are able to teleport from that city to any other of your cities from now on! As well, the Pegasus Post Office gives you good money per turn and even culture.

3) If you have a Pharmacy in your cities, you can have your Pegasus transport medkits to your unit stacks in the wilderness really fast and secure ;)

4) If your Pegasus is too surrounded to escape, you can always hit a Hunters Bounty "teleport-to-capital" button to save it!

What else do you want from this magnificent creature? =) Please leave it as it is!

i was sure the halfmoon subdue animal bug fixed , but it's back... he can subdue and convert to werewolf getting two animals instead of one or the other. maybe he shouldn't get the subdue promo at all?

Hello again and thanks for the replies :D

Those should be a bit old and might not work perfectly. I could update them if there are people interested in them.

Please do! Alot of modules are either hit and miss that's why they should stay in modules form but all of them have interesting idea and offer a nice alternate take on some mechanics.

Once you get the Trade tech, a new menu appears on the top left part of your screen. It lets you recruit mercenaries. I'm interested in some feedback about them since i didn't get much and it can be quite unbalanced.

Took me a while to find it and doing some testing, really nice idea. Didn't want to compare but JFD's Mercenaries mod from CIV V is extremely similar to this both in form and function and that's not a bad thing, considered how long this mod and engine has aged.
Ps. can you add confirmation box when you are about to hire a merc? or atleast a better visual cue. I try to find information on that particular merc and end up hired him by accident because i didn't know i have to click at the picture. The whole merc's infocard gave me an impression that i could click it to view the info but somehow couldn't.

I really loved that they always happen to flee. It is not that difficult to kill them though if you figure it. You will need two units. The horse will always flee once, but it cannot flee twice a turn. So that is a cool feature. As I said, you have two units, the second one with two tiles movement points left. So you hit it with your 1 unit. The Pegasus flees one tile. You reach it with your second unit and destroy it. If your second unit has a Subdue Animal, you gain that Pegasus.

So the pegasus retreat system has changed. Back then they can retreat infinite number of times. Limit them to 2 times per turn is fine by me.

(btw could you lower the Subdue unit chance from 100% to some 30% or even 25% as MoM had please? That might be more realistic)

I disagree with having a percent chance with capturing animals though. That would be needlessly complicate. The player and AI is and always be rulers of their kingdom, not a questing adventurer. If i said "i want that damn tiger for my grand managery" then the next time my hunter stumble apon a tiger it'll be delivered straight to my capital right away, not after i prayed to the RNG god. And animals in general are quite uncommon already without double animal spawn option.

I got a bug with Triforce of courage items. Its main ability is to let the holder act as a commander up to 2 units. But any unit that hold this Triforce once will retain this commander ability for the rest of the game, no matter they still have it or not.

Another bug is about the Rinwell island. It is claimable and act like a fort after you done explored it or your culture reached it or something. The thing is the fort commander doesn't have a waterwalk promotion and will instantly disappear/popup at nearby lands at the start of the next turn. My suggestion is to just scrap this fort mechanic for the Rinwell if it's too confusing for the computer. On the otherhand, In Derf's Ashes modules thread there is already 'Fortifications' module which is a merge of claimable Tower of Eyes and Rinwell island fix. You might want to update and migrate into AoE proper.

Mount Kalshekk unique feature never appear even with all unique features on.

Ah and the Jotnar module is currently unplayable for me. Gives ctd every time and have conflict report in modules manager when there isn't a single module that conflicted with it. So i keep my hand off it for a time being. :(

Hello again and thanks for the replies :D
You're welcome ! ^^
Please do! Alot of modules are either hit and miss that's why they should stay in modules form but all of them have interesting idea and offer a nice alternate take on some mechanics.
Alright, i'll take a look and put a link on a more updated version when i have some time.
Took me a while to find it and doing some testing, really nice idea. Didn't want to compare but JFD's Mercenaries mod from CIV V is extremely similar to this both in form and function and that's not a bad thing, considered how long this mod and engine has aged.
Ps. can you add confirmation box when you are about to hire a merc? or atleast a better visual cue. I try to find information on that particular merc and end up hired him by accident because i didn't know i have to click at the picture. The whole merc's infocard gave me an impression that i could click it to view the info but somehow couldn't.
It's based on a modcomp that was around for civ4 for a while by TheLopez and Strategyonly.

Normally, clicking on the picture should allow to view the info and clicking on the gold icon should hire the merc. if it doesn't work like that, then there's an issue
I got a bug with Triforce of courage items. Its main ability is to let the holder act as a commander up to 2 units. But any unit that hold this Triforce once will retain this commander ability for the rest of the game, no matter they still have it or not.
ok, i see what may happen with that, i'll take a look, thanks for the report.
Another bug is about the Rinwell island. It is claimable and act like a fort after you done explored it or your culture reached it or something. The thing is the fort commander doesn't have a waterwalk promotion and will instantly disappear/popup at nearby lands at the start of the next turn. My suggestion is to just scrap this fort mechanic for the Rinwell if it's too confusing for the computer. On the otherhand, In Derf's Ashes modules thread there is already 'Fortifications' module which is a merge of claimable Tower of Eyes and Rinwell island fix. You might want to update and migrate into AoE proper.
i'm not fond of having the tower of eyes claimable as a fort, but i do agree that i'm gonna probably change the rinwell island to work like the Pyre instead of a fort.

Mount Kalshekk unique feature never appear even with all unique features on.
it appears alright in my games somehow.

Ah and the Jotnar module is currently unplayable for me. Gives ctd every time and have conflict report in modules manager when there isn't a single module that conflicted with it. So i keep my hand off it for a time being. :(
i'll see about fixing it.

Okay. I'm back up and running. I lost everything I was working on, but a fresh start is always nice.

SaibotLieh, if I send you a link with my nif and KF files, can you take a look at them, to see if they'll work in-game and if so, give me a detailed list of changes in NifSkope, so I won't have to hound you to do my grunt work? 7zip archive okay?

Top Bottom