The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #18

Also, I am intending to dip into Exploration, hence those crappy coastal cities. I just need to generate all that culture for all these social policies. And maybe it will be Order with Party Leadership. 7 hammers per coastal city on a hill tile.

SS needs more cities by that turn time (I'm sure you can fit more in if you space them 4 tiles apart exactly); however, slow faith generation and the map which you can't meet all civs and get OB/routes going means SS strategy is probably not viable here. Also, no guarantee AIs won't take all the happiness buildings/sacred sites SP before you can get them.

I took Mosques and.... Monasteries. :lol: Yes, the map is pretty horrible, but as I said, I am just going to test routes to generating tourism other than the cookie-cutter Freedom.

Order could actually work very well. I am swimming in gold. Korea adopted Order but moved to Modern, so I freaked out and bribed Alex to DoW Korea. Now Korea is gone and I picked 2 tenets as an early adopter. :cat: 2 other people chose Order, as well, and the others are suffering for it. I have a ton of faith, but I haven't even opened Aesthetics. Not sure if this game is worth the drag. Casimir eliminated Oda and left Shaka 1 city. I've been clicking "next turn" for the past 100 turns, so it's kind of boring at this point. Also, t260 Machu Pichu. :lol:

t100 snoozefest
Spoiler :
I might bail on this one too. I decided to go Liberty, because isn't that what Iroq always does? :lol: Anyway, just so few useful sites to settle. I put my cap 1 NW of start, to get whales and cocoa - in hindsight start would have been better to keep one more forest and have more irrigated lake tiles. My 2nd city 4 SE of start will have tons of food... 3rd city is 1 SE of dyes up N.

I would likely still have interest in this game if I had gone Tradition, and also if I had been able to snag a religion. I did, strangely, get GrLh. Pantheon is the fishing boats, I guess the pearls one would have been better, it didn't even occur to me. I met the E neighbors quite a while ago with an early Trireme, and at t100 have finally just now got my first lux from them. Seems pretty bad that way. Doesn't seem to be much point in settling a bunch of repeat whales/pearls.

I appreciate the various "design" ideas for the challenges - at heart though I am an empire builder and explorer, and so this game just doesn't have "it" for me. I guess I got spoiled by the Spain game. :)

LOL Nigel! I agree this map is boring but if I have all DCL 20 Spain type of maps to play I would have to give up Civ in general. Actually I am Cived out for the last week and it might take a few months for me to get back in the swing of enjoying Civ once again. Nothing new... this happens to me from time to time and I have to take several months off of playing to come back and enjoy it once again.

Once you open this map up it seems to get interesting since you have the worst of it compared to all Civs. This game would be much easier if you go Tradition and use Cargo Ships to grow which is why I put the first two optional challenges as no Tradition. I am up to turn 250 and struggling but since I am trying for Full Piety/Domination it is going to be somewhat interesting to catch up and take all the capitals. However, I expected most players to play this map for about 100 turns and just abort since the land is pretty ugly and it isn't as fun as most of the maps posted but it is more of a Challenge, for sure, which is rare on Immortal. We have had 18 ICLs and for me this one is the most difficult out of them.

I'm cooking up my ICL right now. I came up with settings and tweaks, just need to generate a map I'll be happy with :)

t267 update
Spoiler :
So I decided to keep going, just to punish myself, apparently. I have 9 cities, I kept adding them, a couple in the last 20-30 turns even as I needed the aluminum. I have the island W with marble and I settled 3 E/SE of Mt Sinai quite a while ago. Not much expansion on that continent. Meanwhile Shaka and Cas pounded Oda down and now Cas has nearly eliminated Shaka. Cas has full Liberty, Piety, and Patronage, 4 Tradition and 5 in Freedom. I couldn't believe he went Freedom as he had 10 cities at that point.

I was first, went Order, Korea went Autocracy (?). He hasn't gone into Rat (nobody appears to have yet) and so I may actually launch before him. I sunk 3 in Exploration to get production and happy, 2 in Rat, 5 in Order, 2 more in Rat now. I would typically only take 2 Rat on Immortal but this game is actually challenging. I am spending way too much time in the upper and lower trees as the only oil is offshore, and I really need Neusch as I am getting some pretty heavy pressure which may only get worse...

I am 1st in production, what with 5 year plan - am currently building all the wonders I can as my RLabs are up in my earlier cities. I haven't been working all scientists as I have been trying to keep up with buildings. I have a large army and navy for an SV, but not much is upgraded. Grand River has built Eiffel, Machu, PT, and Broadway, and should get Neuschwanstein.

Attachments

• 2015-03-04_00002.jpg
    2015-03-04_00002.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 308
t332 SV
Spoiler :
So only kb and I finished, eh?

This game became mildly entertaining due to some pretty aggressive AI action working it's way towards me. I never did fight any wars, but Poland and Korea became juggernauts with plenty of uranium in their back pockets. I bribed them 2x to war, but not much happened, other than some naval and CS potshots - I don't know if route finding was bad, or if they both decided that keeping the troops home was the way to go. Pacal had a small expeditionary force swimming 1/3 of the map heading for who knows where - Greece's lone city on my island? Those 6 Privateers and 3 GWI weren't going to cause much trouble!

Once again, full Rat seems like overkill on Immortal. The 3 faith-bought GS really blew the game open near the end (as usual, I did no RA's). I actually way overshot tech as I burned the Spaceflight GE on Hubble just to make sure I got it. Had Korea gone Rat, and not done the usual Arts Funding route I quite easily could have lost. As it was he didn't finish Apollo until 5 turns before my launch.

I probably lost a GS due to not working enough scientists mid-game, I wanted food and production so much more in my expos. Crushed WF 5:1 and Intl Games 2:1. I did have great production mid-game.

And once again, Neuschwanstein comes through, solving gold, happy, and culture woes! I also had GrLh, Hubble, Kremlin, Broadway, Eiffel, Machu, and PT. Nearly finished Pentagon and Firewall.

Attachments

• 2015-03-07_00002.jpg
    2015-03-07_00002.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 334
Not very good land and one of the least Fav Civs to play from the information that I gathered from the "Worst Civ in the Game" thread. I am still on turn 250 but I will eventually finish so that we will at least have 3 finishers. I agree the map isn't very "fun" and it was not really meant to be. It was more of a test to see how hard I can make Immortal with certain Civs and Land in the game. Although Immortal most likely will never be too difficult... I am findings some ways to make it a bit more of a challenge but that sometimes can sacrifice fun. I think all the maps in the future will be more fun compared to this one! However, thanks for at least giving this map a go and finishing it to the end showing how easy it really gets after Full Ratio!

Offtopic: I completely lost track... When is the next challenge?

It looks like we are overdue. Ten days would have been March 8th.

Stormtrooper412 is supposed to post next.

After that, the series is back in your hands like we discussed!

I'll finish this one over the next few days. I expect to win, but think I need to get someone(s) to go after runaway tech leader Sejong.

.. neilkaz ..

The 8th would of been the right date but we are trying to line up with the DCL. Since Acken told us he would post up on the 10th, 20th, and 30th... it was either post up on the 5th, 15th, 25th or wait and post on the 15th, 25th and 5th of next month. It didn't seem like a good plan to post on the 8th since the DCL was going to post up on the 10th. After the 15th we should be on track to post ICL and DCL within 5 days of each other. So after Stormtroopers map... the next one should come out on the 25th!

This has to be the most challenging Civ5 Immortal game I have ever played (and won). Poor starting position was only the start:-
Spoiler :

Low-grade leader, large but barren nearby terrain and runaway AI. Problems with cash and happiness. I had envisaged a Science victory when I started, but by turn 150 Greece was rampant on all fronts and owned every CS. When they turned hostile, I thought the game was up. I used my stored GS to rush Biology and then Electronics. I DOW on Greece and captured a couple of nearby CS (unusual for me) to gain land-based oil. Once I had teched Refrigeration (for oil-rigs and subs) things began to turn around but capturing Athens and Sparta required range battleships (GW bombers were largely ineffective due to strong defences). Victory was assured after Greece was eliminated, but it was still a hard slog across two large land masses:- diplo victory was a possibility but my large military made Domination the speedier option (in terms of finish turn time). Glad to sneak a win with this one:- not overly impressed with Iroquios and this map didn't offer much for their already underwhelming unique attributes. It played out more like a Deity game and reminded me why I generally prefer Immortal level!

Only took me 13 months to get there!

Top Bottom