Most powerful trait?

What is the most powerful trait?

• Total voters

Qgqqqqq

Emperor
Which is the most powerful trait in the mod?

Coming from a EitB/EMM opinion I have chosen to exclude FIN entirely (not putting int the new because I am sure there will be some confusion as to what I am referring - if you find in its favor just write a note saying so).

I have not included the minor or non-standard traits - I consider this to be Adaptive, ingenious, Magic Resistant, Barbarian, Agnostic, Defender, Insane, Fallow, any Civilization Traits, and so on.

I would prefer you approach this from as vanilla a view as possible - modmods are okay, but only minimal ones such as EitB, MNAI, and so on. Rweakmod, Extramodmod, and so on are probably okay, but Magisters, Orbis or Rife would not be, simply because there is too much of a change to the base game for comparisons to be made.

Expansive -> Spiritual -> Raiders imo.

Obviously a very MP perspective - and SPI is strengthened in EitB.

voted Spiritual, almost voted for Raiders first. Spi because of the combination of military and economic benefits--I especially like being able to switch in and out of Pacifism and Nationalism, along with +happy civics, whenever needed. Also you can get a lot of mileage microing Labor civics like Arete and Apprenticeship.

Curious why you voted Expansive so high? I usually find myself building settlers with a lot of food surplus (agrarian farms) and don't get to fully leverage the bonus from hammers. But early God King does help Expansive, however...

I don't often find myself in Godking for too long, but I do favor an early mining so that might prejudice me.

However it comes about because of the raw power I find settlers having in every iteration - mp, to gain an advantage and for the sped snowball, and high sp for allowing the claiming of land otherwise sacrificed . Settlers in ffh are so powerful because every spot is good and can be exploited. For me, I find one can always find a way to get ahead militarily, but it is the land needed above all else, and the speed in taking it of EXP just lifts everything else up.

Tough call. Top 3 would have to be Expansive, Raiders and Aggressive. Expansive makes BTS-styled expansion possible. Raiders is proof that Speed Kills. But I went with Aggressive because FFH is a combat-focused game, and the trait gives bonuses to spell casters, summons and most importantly to direct combat units. Being able to take Shock with only 2 exp is a huge advantage over a non-Aggressive civ. Aggressive also makes combating the barbarians a much simpler task and makes the hugely boosted EitB Drydocks affordable.

All that said, the only Aggressive civ I've ever used in an MP game has been the Infernals :p I like the trait, but I'm not too fond of most of the leader / civ combos- they tend to diverge too much from my preferred playing style.

Hello Hyborem! :lol: you're not doing well disavowing this rep of yours.

Interesting there's so many differing opinions.

I think the differences are ones of degree. Looks like everyone agrees that Raiders is a very strong trait, and in general people are in agreement that Expansive and Spiritual are top-tier as well. I'll second Bob's view on aggressive. If you held a gun to my head and said I had to win a game on Deity, I'd pick Agg/Fin or Agg/Ind (depending on the modmod) Khazad for 2-move (on hills) shock warriors out of the capital using Deruptus. Being able to spam shock warriors makes all the difference, in my experience, in reliably surviving on Deity.

Khazad's excellent midgame and lategame collateral--Trebs and dwarven druids--seal the deal. No matter how far behind you are, you always have a shot to come back with DDs.

I really like charismatic...
generaly early-mid / mid game I can generally output 6-7-8 xp units .. (8-9 if I get colossus but only vs AI) with charismatic that makes me 3 promotions instead of 2 and insta-mages, and it ports to more ancient units, earning a few levels here and there.

(I still think the reduction is badly done, but ...eh.)

well, iirc the promotions costs are
normal = ((L-1)^2)+1 : : 2 5 10 17 26 37 50
chari = roundup((3/4)*(((L-1)^2)+1)) : 2 4 8 13 20 28 38 49... 12-15%more promotions
Spoiler :
so the "xp gain" of char vs normal is : 0.2 / 0.2 / 0.23 / 0.23 / 0.24 / 0.24...etc never really reaching 25%, with an lower boost focussed for lower xp (mean of 23.9% for 20 levels).
(and you'll notice that char doesn't give 25% more promotions as promotion costs increases; in fact, you get 12% more promotion at level 9 instead of 8, and 15% at level 16 instead of 14 : 15% more promotions is the max increase in promotions even at level 30, and you don't really get the "1 more promotion feel until level 8-9, which is quite rare).
so I'd rather have = rounddown((3/4)*(((L-1)^2)+1)) : 1 4 7 13 19 28 37 49. 12-15% more promotions
Spoiler :
the difference is minimal once you reach level 5 (4 promotions), and the xp-gain is 0.2 / 0.3 / 0.235 / 0.265 ...etc (mean of 25,08% for 20 levels): the xp-gain oscillates around 25% instead of trying to reach it. The "promotion gain" is also 15%, but at least the early promotions "feel" early, and char can be an advantage with all "free xp civics":
or even a more drastic reduction : round-down (2/3*(((L-1)^2)+1))): 1 3 7 11 17 25 33 43 20%more promotions
Spoiler :
it leads to a "promotion gain" at level6 instead of 5, level 12 instead of 10... etc roughly 20%more promotions, which you can feel at level 5 !! (mean xp-gain on promotion cost averages 33%)
sorry for my long text, but I had to try to explain

It's somewhat difficult to point to a non-vanilla Financial trait and say "yes, this is the most powerful", because what civ you're leading is such an important factor. I wouldn't normally rate Org as being a top-tier trait, but it would be my first pick as the Calabim. I think Aggressive is very strong, but Aggressive leaders as a group have a fairly lackluster showing in PBEM games for a variety of reasons.

Even if you ran a thought experiment where players had to pick a blank-slate leader running a civ with no UB, UU or unique mechanics, it would be almost impossible to select an "optimum" trait combination. Arc/Phi, Agg/Org, Spi/Rai and Exp/Cre leaders would all excel at different aspects of the game.

I agree with both of those comments. I suppose it comes down to what trait you miss most on its own rather then any one clearly surpassing the others.

hmm, that's a very good point. Charismatic would look very different for Sidar than it would for Khazad.

Top Bottom